JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there, I was wondering if anyone knows how to convert a Saiga 7.62x39 or maybe could point me to a gunsmith that has done it before. I'm just looking for the standard conversion (Accept AK Mags, Pistol Grips, Etc). I would do it myself but when it comes to machining I am not mechanically inclined.

I highly recommend diy. It is a great sense of accomplishment, plus you gain an intimate understanding of the internal workings.

Watch a bunch of youtube videos. They will walk you right through and you can get parts from Carolina Shooter supply.

Sold mine:(

Hey JR,

Sicario (just do a forum search for his contact info) did my Saiga for around $80 if I remember correctly. It has performed great with no problems. You have to supply your own conversion parts of course. I got mine from Dinzag Arms. He is in Oregon City though as I am not sure of your location.

ZA is correct regarding the Saiga forum. Some of the Saiga 12 members will even help you do the conversion if you are located close to a member that knows how to do it.

The AK design is made like the AR design in the way that they are designed for kids without much mechanical experience to take apart and clean.
So that gun would actually be a good place to start to learn about guns
I'm with ZAman and think you should give it a go.
You can always take it to the gun smith if it won't work.

The AK design is made like the AR design in the way that they are designed for kids without much mechanical experience to take apart and clean.
So that gun would actually be a good place to start to learn about guns
I'm with ZAman and think you should give it a go.
You can always take it to the gun smith if it won't work.

Hear, hear. If you own a Dremel and have used it more than twice you can do this. There are a lot of videos on YouTube showing both what and what not to do. Some of the "not to's" probably started as "how to's" but they're still fun and informative. ;)

You'll find a lot of advice on tuning the gas regulator and various parts to buy and/or polish to get it to cycle well. If you get one that was built before 2009 you'll most likely have very little trouble getting it to cycle everything from #8 shot to full pop slugs with just two settings. If not it's hit or miss. I'd try everything that's reversible before widening the gas port. Actually if you have to go that far you might want to just ship it to Tom Cole at Cadiz Gun Works. He's very good at tuning Saigas - he used to be RAA's only warranty shop for North America.

……..If he can convert his 7.62x39 Saiga, "to cycle everything from #8 shot to full pop slugs with just two settings." that is a skill I'd like to learn myself. ;)

Um, yeah sure, but it's a lot of welding. :D He's done work for me in the past, obviously on Saiga-12. He's almost a miracle worker, but maybe not that kind of miracle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top