JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope. We can have a discussion all day long. As long as we all respect each other's opinions. :)
I have to say I am often quite surprised at how fast these things can turn so damn hostile. Over what seems to me to be such insignificant things, like choices of guns or gear. I know what I like. If others ask not shy about saying what I like and why. Always quick to say nothing works for everyone. Often say I LOVE the way there is so many damn choices now days. I started to carry when there was only a small percentage of what we have offered now. Somehow though some seem to get totally over the top angry if someone does not like what they like. I often really don't get why.

Yeah not sure why. People cant have a discussion? I guess if your a staff member and someone disagrees with you you just shut the thread down.
I have not seen that yet, staff shutting down a thread because others did not have the same likes. What I have seen kill a thread is when some get over the top angry because someone does not like the same things they do. Often it's like some here invented the items or something and take it as some kind of personal insult if another says they don't like XYZ gun or gear ???

Again, I'm out! Do whatever you guys want. LOVE an optic on a EDC? It's all good.

Tritium sights are visible in an ALMOST pitch black environment. I've practiced shooting with lights and without in complete darkness. My point is, at least for ME, that if I can see the vials glowing I can't see much of anything else. If I use a light, either weapon mounted or handheld the sights are completely dark outlines. I run night sights on ALL my SD pistols BTW. More to find the gun on the nightstand than anything else.

If you haven't had a chance to shoot pistols in a zero light environment I would suggest you try it. :)

Air guns are great for this. Since many of us don't have a range that will let us shoot in the dark it can be hard to get real practice. Long ago when I wanted to try to practice shooting a hand gun with a light in my off hand I used a Co2 pistol. Found it seemed to work really well at helping me get the "feel" for trying to hold a gun and light together. Still would be grand to be able to do it with live ammo but I don't know of a place near me to allow me to do this. Now days they make some nice CO2 pistols that are close clones of many popular firearms.

If someone is in my house wanting to shoot, stab or beat me over the head YES a flashlight is a good thing. If I hear a noise in a back bedroom YES I am going to take a light to investigate and YES there will be a pistol in my hand and NOT in the holster. I do not have lights on in rooms all over the house and they are very dark. I don't live in a cracker jack box I have a larger home with multiple rooms, no close neighbors and no lights on outside so it is very dark. If a person can cover 20ft in the time it takes to recognize a threat and draw, it would be even quicker if you can't see them coming in a room or around a corner in a hall.

The Red dot in the OP as pictured is not a projected red dot it is a daylight style so yes a light would be needed to see where it is at. I myself wouldn't want that or even a projected type on my carry pistol but that would be my preference.

Yes.... flashlights are good. That bright light shining on the wall (in an otherwise pitch black room) ain't shining down from Jesus' throne. ;) 691B0C57-DAC2-4477-98B1-64218314EB26.jpeg

Air guns are great for this. Since many of us don't have a range that will let us shoot in the dark it can be hard to get real practice. Long ago when I wanted to try to practice shooting a hand gun with a light in my off hand I used a Co2 pistol. Found it seemed to work really well at helping me get the "feel" for trying to hold a gun and light together. Still would be grand to be able to do it with live ammo but I don't know of a place near me to allow me to do this. Now days they make some nice CO2 pistols that are close clones of many popular firearms.

The issue I foubd shooting in pitch black with a light is the smoke after a couple shots basically blocking the light 100%. Not on the lens, but in the air, likd driving with high beams in thick fog.

I have to say I am often quite surprised at how fast these things can turn so damn hostile. Over what seems to me to be such insignificant things, like choices of guns or gear. I know what I like. If others ask not shy about saying what I like and why. Always quick to say nothing works for everyone. Often say I LOVE the way there is so many damn choices now days. I started to carry when there was only a small percentage of what we have offered now. Somehow though some seem to get totally over the top angry if someone does not like what they like. I often really don't get why.

Cynical response: People get angry when someone attacks the justifications they used to spend money. Especially on something as expensive as an RDS.

Optimistic response: When discussing self defense (guns, ammo, lights) people get really heated because we are talking about things that could save your life or end it if it fails when you need it. We all deeply care about eachother and and want to make sure we all make it through a bad encounter if god forbid the worst happens.

Discussions like this don't get as intense when talking about competition setups.

I was at Buster Beaver 2 weeks ago and on the shelf were CT RED DOTS.

Smith and Wessons parent company bought CT.... So I say they are Crimson Trace...... Even if they don't say so on the housing.

Last Edited:
I find a off weapon low intensity light to be the best option for bump in the night/house clearing! I can investigate with the light kept low, and the weapon kept at the low ready and not fixated on the sights! This allows me to adjust my vision to the lighting and doesn't block my vision of the area! I also dosn't spot light me to a tango, they only see the light and will respond to that light, not the pistol several feet higher up pointed at their face, finger on the trigger!

8 pages, and I'm still confused, and even more, apathetic. The topic subject uses the term, dropped. Call me old school, but to me, that says they quit making it. Does dropped now mean it's a new release?o_O Or does dropped mean they laid an egg?

So, to fuel this rather cool and smoky fire, if a guy wants a red dot on his carry weapon, no matter how foolish (cumbersome) it would be to me, I will support his choice to own what I think of as a foolish (cumbersome) choice. How's that for camping on both sides of the aisle?

But what do I know? I still think a .30-30 can kill a deer, and a .45ACP can stop a man.

Last Edited:
8 pages, and I'm still confused, and even more, apathetic. The topic subject uses the term, dropped. Call me old school, but to me, that says they quit making it. Does dropped now mean it's a new release?o_O

So, to fuel this rather cool and smoky fire, if a guy wants a red dot on his carry weapon, no matter how foolish, I will support his choice to be a fool. How's that for camping on both sides of the aisle?
Lol , I saw dropped and expected a durability report ..... then I couldn't turn away , like a train wreck .

I think the new pistol is awesome .
If a person likes that , train it , learn it . Not a problem like with anything a person trains correctly with . It's technique and consistency you can't buy your way out of .

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top