JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just last month I finally saved enough to get my 10" 500 Magnum. It shoots great with factory loads in SA. I run into a problem when I go DA with it. About 1 in 5 shots show a light primer strike.

I've so far done the normal checks, screw is tight under the grip, cylinder has almost no movement, all clean under the ejector.

Last weekend a friend and I ran a bunch of tests popping off primers and were able to solve the problem by putting a much longer screw in and tightening it. With that done, we were able to reliably get 5/5 in both SA and DA.

TL:DR, I guess my main question is has anybody experienced light primer strikes with a large bore revolver? Should I insist Smith take it back and make it work without the bench fix?

If it's brand new then I would and wouldn't tell them I figured out the issue.

I agree. The whole point of the performance center is the gun is supposed to be put together and refined by someone who knows what they are doing, which should preclude this from happening. Sadly, the performance center has been gutted and most performance center models are just assembly line guns with an extra feature.

I agree. The whole point of the performance center is the gun is supposed to be put together and refined by someone who knows what they are doing, which should preclude this from happening. Sadly, the performance center has been gutted and most performance center models are just assembly line guns with an extra feature.
Really? Mine seems to be top notch. Great trigger, fit and finish. Cant complain:D

About the light strikes, I'll have to try double action next time I'm out shootn, see what happens.

IMG_0342_zpsk6athwwm.jpg

Too bad ya had to send it in, that's always a hassle.

I shot 20 or so rounds of 45 colt through mine friday. It turns it into a real pussycat:p
With the 43 gr of LilGun and a 300 gr XTP it was a different story:confused:. The scope walked back a good 1/16 inch and the mount bolts came completely loose. Got it all torqued down and lock tight on em now.

Too bad ya had to send it in, that's always a hassle.

I shot 20 or so rounds of 45 colt through mine friday. It turns it into a real pussycat:p
With the 43 gr of LilGun and a 300 gr XTP it was a different story:confused:. The scope walked back a good 1/16 inch and the mount bolts came completely loose. Got it all torqued down and lock tight on em now.

My load workup is now 45 grains of IMR4227 with a Berry's 350 grain and it kicks like a mule.

Really? Mine seems to be top notch. Great trigger, fit and finish. Cant complain:D

About the light strikes, I'll have to try double action next time I'm out shootn, see what happens.

Well, that sure looks nice. And I did say most, not all. The PC label has been slapped on ported assembly line M&p's that I suspect were never in the same zip code as the performance center. Back in the day, PC meant full house custom using S&W parts. Doesn't mean they don't still turn out some nice revolvers. I have a 627 myself. But if they were still putting the time and attention in that they used to, they would not be sending out pistols that can only fire 4 out of 5 times.:(

It's hard to say when a spring will give it up and stop giving you full pressure. Sometimes springs last 50 years and sometimes a year.

And yes I've experience it allot!
Gimme a holler next time, I can turn it around for you in less than a week! And no shipping involved.

But if they were still putting the time and attention in that they used to, they would not be sending out pistols that can only fire 4 out of 5 times.:(

That is one of the annoyances I have right now. A friend who I go shooting with picked up the 8" (yeah there is a fraction in there) and he has no issues with in in SA or DA. I had thought that buying a PC version would be a much better firearm. Guess I drank too much kool-aid that day o_O

So did you get that brand new thing brand new or used? People tend to f them things up with spring kits like falling offa log.

Brand new. One of the reasons that I sent it back to S&W. One of the reasons I didn't take my friends advice about it and just buy a new spring. I just spent the money on a new gun, it should work for at least 20-30 rounds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top