JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
And it is politically correct - literally.

I think most everybody would rather support Ukraine with $ and equipment than have US boots on the ground - especially after all the other wars we have fought, and having just gotten out of Afghanistan where we spent over $2 Trillion and came away with nothing to show for it. I think we have spent over $60B in aid to Ukraine.

Let the Ukrainians prove themselves. I think they are doing a pretty damn good job so far.

Then there is the fact that if we did get involved directly, it would probably escalate tremendously.

I guess my point is, what is our interest in this section of the world. I'm tired of being the world police and footing the bill with fake dollars that devalue mine. If it's that important I'd think NATO would get involved more than the minimal opinion giving stance they are in now.

I guess my point is, what is our interest in this section of the world.
Besides the fact that I have relatives from there?

I'm tired of being the world police and footing the bill with fake dollars that devalue mine. If it's that important I'd think NATO would get involved more than the minimal opinion giving stance they are in now.
I am not arguing for the USA to be the world police.

I am saying sending $ and equipment is a much lesser evil than sending our military to be war fighters.

I guess my point is, what is our interest in this section of the world. I'm tired of being the world police and footing the bill with fake dollars that devalue mine. If it's that important I'd think NATO would get involved more than the minimal opinion giving stance they are in now.
we need to test our weapons in combat against our most likely foe somewhere without risking American lives
example, we get to test the new NASAMS against Iranian suicided drones with no risk to our personnel

that section of the World (Ukraine) is the breadbasket of the World
Russia has already shown they are willing to use grain as a political tool
turmoil in Africa and the mid East is being caused by lack of grain from Ukraine
even in the areas where Ukraine has driven the Russians back, Russia is burning the fields to destroy this years harvest

and now Russia is drafting their own farmers, so their harvest of wheat in now in question also
those farmers who weren't drafted are trying to flee the Country

They would not stop at Ukraine. Given time and being emboldened, why would they stop?

Besides the fact that I have relatives from there?

I am not arguing for the USA to be the world police.

I am saying sending $ and equipment is a much lesser evil than sending our military to be war fighters.
That's too bad about your family, but ultimately they chose to live or stay there. Not US taxpayer problems. By your other point, why do we let other countries fight then? Why don't we just stop off in Africa or S America and supply half of them with weapons, you know, because no troops were sent I'm not arguing, I just don't see what benefit the average Joe gets out of this.

That's too bad about your family, but ultimately they chose to live or stay there. Not US taxpayer problems. By your other point, why do we let other countries fight then? Why don't we just stop off in Africa or S America and supply half of them with weapons, you know, because no troops were sent I'm not arguing, I just don't see what benefit the average Joe gets out of this.
Were we to sit by, all other nuclear powers would then use that threat to steamroll whomever. It would be a cascading of events that would result in true chaos.

Were we to sit by, all other nuclear powers would then use that threat to steamroll whomever. It would be a cascading of events that would result in true chaos.
That's a much better explanation than personal connections. I still suspect more that our favorite (sarcasm) politicians launder a LOT of $$$ through Ukraine and are getting blackmailed. That is truly the simplest explanation for my simple mind. Your explanation make a bit more sense though.

Aloha, Mark
I heard Russian recruiters have set up checkpoints at border crossings.

And it is politically correct - literally.

I think most everybody would rather support Ukraine with $ and equipment than have US boots on the ground - especially after all the other wars we have fought, and having just gotten out of Afghanistan where we spent over $2 Trillion and came away with nothing to show for it. I think we have spent over $60B in aid to Ukraine.

Let the Ukrainians prove themselves. I think they are doing a pretty damn good job so far.

Then there is the fact that if we did get involved directly, it would probably escalate tremendously.
It also generates income for US businesses. As we clear out older weapon systems we will have to replace them with newer stuff. Defense Industries will benefit from that.

I heard Russian recruiters have set up checkpoints at border crossings.
Reminds one of the guards at the east-west German border in the Cold War days. Everyone wanted to escape to the west but guards kept people in.

There's a video of that Belorussian leader meeting with Putin saying when people were fleeing his borders he said let them go we don't want them in this country. Putin too much of an autocrat for that though I think.

Sort of like training Ukrainian forces, supplying them with weapons, intelligence, logistics, and myriad other things? NATO is deeply involved, and even Germany is stepping up.

Too much of American foreign policy and military involvement has been guided by greed and "public servants" treating the real world like it was a video game. I, too, am tired of my tax dollars being wasted trying to prop up unpopular and puppet governments all over the world, but in this case, the citizens are stepping up and putting their lives on the line. It is far different from Viet Nam, Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria.

As a student of history, much of the opposition to involvement in Ukraine echoes American attitudes between 1934 and 1940. Those attitudes continued until almost the end of 1941. Then there was a sudden change.

we need to test our weapons in combat against our most likely foe somewhere without risking American lives
example, we get to test the new NASAMS against Iranian suicided drones with no risk to our personnel
It is like a big testing grounds, with live targets. We get to learn a lot about how our enemy fights. All without losing a soldier. I would rather spend the made up money on weapon systems than Covid BS or paying off college debt for somebody making 2.5X what I am making.

It is like a big testing grounds, with live targets. We get to learn a lot about how our enemy fights. All without losing a soldier.
It is weakening Russia (no small thing) while strengthening us (at least eventually), and we learn how our weapons work, how well asymmetrical fighting works when the enemy is poorly led/equipped.

If we are given some time to recover/replenish our stock of weapons, we will come out of this stronger.

I am just worried that China/N. Korea may try to take advantage of this conflict to make trouble in SE Asia. Our naval and air power is still strong there, but I still worry.

Status

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads