JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Ruger missed another boat... too bad the 5.56 version doesn't use AR magazines. I had a Mossberg MVP Predator for all of two weeks. Good rifle, never failed to function, but that little spring-loaded flip tab at the bottom of the bolt just seemed like it was begging to break off. The bottom line is I bought the MVP to have a bolt gun that used AR mags, and I sold it because I consider it to be a poor design.

If Ruger could make a one-piece bolt/ bolt-action that used AR mags, I think it would sell. But people have been asking them to make a version of the Mini-14 that uses AR mags for years, and they seem to prefer to keep their mags proprietary. I suppose they think they make more money selling magazines than they would selling more guns.

I think Ruger missed another boat... too bad the 5.56 version doesn't use AR magazines. I had a Mossberg MVP Predator for all of two weeks. Good rifle, never failed to function, but that little spring-loaded flip tab at the bottom of the bolt just seemed like it was begging to break off. The bottom line is I bought the MVP to have a bolt gun that used AR mags, and I sold it because I consider it to be a poor design.

If Ruger could make a one-piece bolt/ bolt-action that used AR mags, I think it would sell. But people have been asking them to make a version of the Mini-14 that uses AR mags for years, and they seem to prefer to keep their mags proprietary. I suppose they think they make more money selling magazines than they would selling more guns.

For the price of a precision AR these days I don't see the point of a bolt gun using high capacity mags. I would rather get the semi.

The MVP in 308 apparently does not have the little tab on the bottom of the bolt. I would verify but they are like leprechauns, hard to find.

The CZ is a nice rifle, a lot nicer than the ruger IMO. I've got a CZ in .223 and it is a fine shooter, One guy on a CZ forum said this a week or so ago:

For those of you in upstate NY, Collector Rifle & Ammo Inc. located on Route 82 in Hopewell Junction had six of the 527 carbines in 7.62x39 in stock yesterday when I went there. When I left there were 5. I don't know if they deal with mail order sales, but their phone number is (845) 227-4100. Charlie was the one who assisted me and he as well as all of the staff were great. Shot mine today, got it down to about 2' group at 100 yards. Tried several different brands of ammo, it appears to like the 123 grain HP milsurp the best. Will keep you updated on how she does.

For what it is worth, Ruger seems to be completely opening up their American line and while I understand the complaints, where else can we buy a heavy barreled, threaded, railed and very accurate 6.5 Creedmoor for under $400? The way the American's shoot for a ridiculous price is a great thing. I believe they are moving toward making us all happy by allowing us to have our options and calibers. It simply can't be done at once. The new Redfield packages are wonderful quality as well.

I want the Predator in 7mm-08. I want the 1911 in .40S&W. I want the American Ranch in .358Win. I would love to see the Ranch in 7.62x39(with a forgiving chamber, like a bolt action MAK90) & 6.8SPC. Why not 5.7x28? I want the standard American in .250 Savage. I want the Predator and Ranch rifles to be released as packages similar to the Redfield Revolution on the standard American. I want the Flattop Blackhawk in .41Mag to be a standard catalog item. I want the Old Army back. I hope some day it will all happen. In the past I wished for the American in 7mm-08 and .223 and now they are here. I wished for the SR45 and it came. I gave up hoping for a Ruger 1911 and again, here we are.

Ruger has a comments section and whether or not they respond, the CEO actually reads them all. They listen and try to give us what we want. I believe terms like "the squeaky wheel get's the grease" and "a closed mouth never get's fed" apply here. Let them know what interests you and slowly but surely, you may be surprised. How many people would have laughed out loud in 2005 if you told them that a Ruger AR, 1911, budget rifle line and sub-compact pistols would be available in five years or so?

Sadly, I think it took Bill Ruger passing away to ramp up the innovation. I think his mantra of no civilians needing more than ten rounds really hurt the company. He surely did some wonderful things, but since his passing we have Ruger factory 25-round 10/22 mags, Ruger factory 20-round mini mags, an AR, a 1911, and a decent polymer pistol line. Bill might be rolling over in his grave at the standard capacity magazines, but I think he'd calm down when he realized the force that Ruger has become in the industry. More than any other company, they seem to cross boundaries within the gun community. Hunters (pistol, rifle, and shotgun, sort of) check. CCW crowd, check. Competition, check. They have a very well rounded portfolio. There will always be those of us wanting something different, but overall, I'm happy with the direction Ruger has taken in the 15 years I've been in the industry.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top