JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm actually experiencing the same kind of issues with 2 of my rifles. The wooden stock S&W 1500, which was actually duplicating your complaint, is being pillar bedded now. I've also discovered that the adjustable gas block on my Bushmaster may be interfering with the hand guard. I plan to switch back to the lower profile non-adjustable gas block and see if that solves the problem of an occasional flyer.

I will definitely be trying a different mount, unless the scope fails the range test today. I kinda hope it does!

Isn't that the way of the snowflake? :p:D

We don't even know "who" you are anymore, these days!

CEF6D2C4-5D89-4890-8E54-682D61A5EBC6.jpeg

Any word from Vortex @Kruejl? I'm kinda hoping that it failed the range test. :confused:

Nope, no call today. The guy that called me originally said that it would get back in FedEx's hands today if it passed the range test. I don't know anything more at this point....

Update:

So Ryan from Vortex called me today. They range tested the glass and.....

.152" with 147 grain .308 factory FMJ ammo out of their test rifle (Tikka T3 shut up @SKrueger :D).

I then asked Ryan what else to look for. He asked me if I had lapped my mount. I told him I hadn't so he said to send it to him and he will lap it, mount the scope perfectly level and throw a bubble level on the tube for me while it's there! Now THAT'S customer service! I just got back from shipping the mount and can't wait to get the whole setup back and go shooting!

I was thinking, maybe the scope was slightly out of level. I did my best to mount and level it using a small bubble level I had laying around. But if the scope wasn't perfectly level, it would explain the windage and elevation changing all over the place with a few clicks. Since they are going to lap, remount and level on their jig that will definitely cure that!

Nope, no call today. The guy that called me originally said that it would get back in FedEx's hands today if it passed the range test. I don't know anything more at this point....

Looking back at your original post, I don't see how lapping rings answers the question about why the RPR shot a tight group at short range, then shot all over the place at longer ranges. Would be great if Vortex could explain that for us!

Looking back at your original post, I don't see how lapping rings answers the question about why the RPR shot a tight group at short range, then shot all over the place at longer ranges. Would be great if Vortex could explain that for us!

Actually Ryan told me that my scope is sensitive to improper torqueing. Now, I did torque it down to specs, but if it is a lapping issue that would cause uneven torque on the tube.

Actually Ryan told me that my scope is sensitive to improper torqueing. Now, I did torque it down to specs, but if it is a lapping issue that would cause uneven torque on the tube.

OK, thanks! Good to know. A Vortex scope is on my short list, but I don't know that I want a "sensitive" scope. I wonder if other scope brands are as sensitive as the Vortex. I've never lapped rings, though I know it's common practice, because I've never had reason to do it.

OK, thanks! Good to know. A Vortex scope is on my short list, but I don't know that I want a "sensitive" scope. I wonder if other scope brands are as sensitive as the Vortex. I've never lapped rings, though I know it's common practice, because I've never had reason to do it.

I think all scopes have issues with improper torque. Shoot, I once torqued down a cheap Nikko Stirling to their specs and it dented the tube! I promptly returned that POS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top