JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you don't know what you are doing when lapping rings, you can do more harm than good.

I have heard that torque thing from several people who have had issues with Vortex scopes. Seems like a canned answer from Vortex I have heard it so much. I have not personally had any issues with the Vortex stuff I have owned in the past, but now I am an optic snob, so it is only Leupold, or Swarovski glass that get mounted on my rifles.

Update:

So Ryan from Vortex called me today. They range tested the glass and.....

.152" with 147 grain .308 factory FMJ ammo out of their test rifle (Tikka T3 shut up @SKrueger :D).

I then asked Ryan what else to look for. He asked me if I had lapped my mount. I told him I hadn't so he said to send it to him and he will lap it, mount the scope perfectly level and throw a bubble level on the tube for me while it's there! Now THAT'S customer service! I just got back from shipping the mount and can't wait to get the whole setup back and go shooting!
Outstanding!

Got the glass back today. The mount was lapped and the scope was leveled in their jig and torqued down to specs. They did forget to add the bubble level, but one quick text to the tech and he said he'd 2nd day it out for free! So now it's back to the range to try again. I'll keep this thread updated.

Curious to see if the issue is resolved. My RPR was just delivered last week and am crossing my fingers I don't have any issues.

I also took the brake off and re-timed it (by my eye) as it seemed a little off to the left. While it was off I checked the crown, it visually looks good. At least to my eye. No wear marks or abnormalities.

And if this doesn't solve it, it's going back to Ruger along with the Vortex test targets and their findings.

Well, looks like the lapping and mounting that Vortex did was the ticket!

IMG_2970.jpg

3 shot group @ 100 yards with factory 168gr ammo. Just over 1/2 MOA spread.

Ah, and gotta love this community. I was preparing to shoot and another guy overheard me talking about the issues I've had and says "Yeah, I've been reading about your troubles". Took me a second to wrap my head around it, then realized he was a fellow NWFA'er.

@Kid@Heart nice to meet you today!

@Joe13 and @SKrueger it was a pleasure as always!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top