JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, looks like the lapping and mounting that Vortex did was the ticket!

Good deal. I listened to a podcast where a Vortex rep mentioned that some astronomically high percentage of "bad" scopes were just mounted improperly. Not calling you out, just trying to highlight how sensitive optics can be. I thought I was pretty smart on mounting optics but I've been digging a little deeper lately and it's interesting to hear the factory's take on it.

So I took out my RPR today and had a chance to run it for the first time. Set up with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Ran some cheap PMC Bronze as well as Hornady Black and another match grade ammo. About 60 rounds total. The range I went to requires a 25 yard "sight in" for new rifles.

So at 25 yards, I put two in the same hole about 1" above bullseye. Windage was perfect.

At 200 yards I missed the target altogether. We switch back to the 50/100 yard range. At 50 I'm at the very top of the paper. So a few more shots at 50 and 100 and I'm feeling lukewarm but we switch back to the 100/200/300 range.

From there, I was all over the place, including a 4" group at 100. Constant scope adjusting. Never did get anything better than minute of dinner plate. Had the friendly guy next to me shoot it, as he was shooting the same rifle in 6.5CM suppressed. He has the same results.

So just to make sure I wasn't having a seizure while behind the trigger, I shot @SKrueger 's Tikka. Managed to put two in the same hole at 300 about 1" to the right of center. Back to back. So I know it wasn't me. Not only that but I've successfully shot to 800 on a 2/3 silhouette with a .223 AR platform. I know how to shoot. I'm not the best, but I'm better than 4" groups at 100 yards with a $2000 rig.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. The scope and mount were looked at by several people including the RSO. Everyone agreed it was tight and mounted properly. The RSO said I needed to clean and break in the barrel and try different ammo. Another suggested trying a different scope to factor that out...

My question is does this thing really need a 200 round break-in to be accurate, even 1MOA accurate? Or do I have a possible scope/rifle issue. I have a Bushnell Elite I can rob off another gun and will more than likely do that. But wow, what a disappointment. Great day on the range, but I'm sure sitting here contemplating my choice of a 1000 yard gun.
Here is my 1000yd set up, only shot 20 rounds through new barrel before the Leupold cup and it was right there X and 10's my missing the wind was my fault. Kelby action, Krueger barrel, Leupold VX6 7x42, Lapua brass, Berger 185gr Juggernaut, 43gr. H 4895. This works.

Ken

You want to press forward towards the end of the barrel on the mount as you tighten it down on a rail. If you don't your mount can shift under recoil and cause erratic groups. If you can look at the underside of your mount and there are rub marks on it from the rail then your mount is moving.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top