JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Got a call from Vortex this afternoon. He said the scope passed all the in-house tests. He is going to take it out tomorrow to the range and mount it on another .308 rifle and see what it does at 100 and 200 yards. I gotta say, their customer service is second to none!

If the scope will shoot sub-MOA groups, then it gets mailed back to me. That will REALLY be a head scratcher. He said out of approximately 700 scopes that passed the in-house test, only 8 have failed at the range. I will keep this thread updated.

Geese that'd be a head scratcher for sure!

Maybe the mount you had for it was skewed just so?

Dunno...

Geese that'd be a head scratcher for sure!

Maybe the mount you had for it was skewed just so?

Dunno...

Burris PEPR one piece torqued correctly and checked by the RSO. Funny, the guy next to me had the same rifle in 6.5CM and we swapped. I was punching sub MOA from his and he was spray painting the target on mine.

You're right, head scratcher brother.

Burris PEPR one piece torqued correctly and checked by the RSO. Funny, the guy next to me had the same rifle in 6.5CM and we swapped. I was punching sub MOA from his and he was spray painting the target on mine.

You're right, head scratcher brother.
I spent 30 years in industry solving some very complicated technical problems that were often times costing the company hundreds of dollars per minute. My guess, after reading this whole thread, is that there are two options:

1. The Vortex scope will fail the range test.

2. There was something wrong with the installation of the Vortex scope on your rifle, which you corrected when you mounted the Leupold on it. If this is the case you might have gotten the same results by simply disassembling the Vortex and its mounts and then remounting it. Another option is an incompatibility of some sort between the rifle and mount, or the mount and scope, in which case you will get the same results when it is re-mounted, even though it passed the factory range test.

I spent 30 years in industry solving some very complicated technical problems that were often times costing the company hundreds of dollars per minute. My guess, after reading this whole thread, is that there are two options:

1. The Vortex scope will fail the range test.

2. There was something wrong with the installation of the Vortex scope on your rifle, which you corrected when you mounted the Leupold on it. If this is the case you might have gotten the same results by simply disassembling the Vortex and its mounts and then remounting it. Another option is an incompatibility of some sort between the rifle and mount, or the mount and scope, in which case you will get the same results when it is re-mounted, even though it passed the factory range test.

How can it be an incompatibility with the rifle and scope? Shoot, the web page for my EXACT scope on Vortex's site shows it mounted to an RPR. I mean, you might be right, I'm just looking for answers Zeke.

The more i ponder this, the more ZigZagZekes theory makes the most sense! I keep going back to the same issue I had with a set of 1913 pattern rings on a standard commercial mount! Not saying this is the issue your having but as soon as I changed rings, my rifle went from tossing flyers to one ragged hole!

The more i ponder this, the more ZigZagZekes theory makes the most sense! I keep going back to the same issue I had with a set of 1913 pattern rings on a standard commercial mount! Not saying this is the issue your having but as soon as I changed rings, my rifle went from tossing flyers to one ragged hole!
Exactly!

How can it be an incompatibility with the rifle and scope? Shoot, the web page for my EXACT scope on Vortex's site shows it mounted to an RPR. I mean, you might be right, I'm just looking for answers Zeke.
Is it possible that the mount could be out of true, and when it's torqued to specs it's putting stress on the scope tube? I'd look for something like that if the Vortex comes back and still does the same thing.

Highly probable!

In the last year I have see a dozen issues with big patterns and they were 100% related to rings and mounts. There are some good basic tools to ensure the setup will enhance vs hurt your accuracy and torque settings are not on the short list. Super interested to hear the results from the factory.

So if the factory range test goes well, can I get some help here with some rings and a "proper" mount? Not looking for charity, I'll gladly compensate for the work.

So if the factory range test goes well, can I get some help here with some rings and a "proper" mount? Not looking for charity, I'll gladly compensate for the work.
Happy to help, let me know what height is needed and I will check stock. I seem to buy at half of what Bi-mart sells for if that is inconspicuous enough a reference.

Again, a Burris PEPR 30mm mount properly torqued as a baseline.
I'm not saying that the mount is the wrong mount, or that the rings are the wrong rings for your Vortex scope (though that's possible). My guess is there might be something wrong or out of spec about the mount or rings, or that they just don't play well together. A solution might turn out to be a different specimen of the same hardware, if there is something out of spec about your current hardware.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top