JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The when is much easier then the where.:oops:

If anyone knows a place 8-10 of us could go then PM me and I'll schedule it. (Within a reasonable drive of course;))
That would be sweet. Been looking for a spot like that for years (other than the rifle range lol)

That would be sweet. Been looking for a spot like that for years (other than the rifle range lol)

Haven't we all! :rolleyes: It really takes someone who knows someone with land to do that and be safe about it. I am sure there are places in the woods that you could do it but I am always concurned about what is out past the shooting lane. I would hate to be the guy that hit a Mtn biker or hiker because you didn't know. o_O

Haven't we all! :rolleyes: It really takes someone who knows someone with land to do that and be safe about it. I am sure there are places in the woods that you could do it but I am always concurned about what is out past the shooting lane. I would hate to be the guy that hit a Mtn biker or hiker because you didn't know. o_O
Yep. You'd need spotters and a good backstop like the side of a hill or mountain.

The only place I know of is Verboten, it involves shooting over a road, And has a short backstop. It was ok in the past due to being a gated access road and no traffic so it was cool then! It gave 1500 meters at a 8deg down hill to a solid but short backstop.
I do know of another area South of where I am currently staying, but don' know what/if access is still available! Can check it out if needed! One area has up to 3 miles clear unobstructed shooting lane with awesome backstop and limited access!

The only place I know of is Verboten, it involves shooting over a road, And has a short backstop. It was ok in the past due to being a gated access road and no traffic so it was cool then! It gave 1500 meters at a 8deg down hill to a solid but short backstop.
I do know of another area South of where I am currently staying, but don' know what/if access is still available! Can check it out if needed! One area has up to 3 miles clear unobstructed shooting lane with awesome backstop and limited access!
Damn.... I think I need to go smoke a cigarette now...

So I took out my RPR today and had a chance to run it for the first time. Set up with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Ran some cheap PMC Bronze as well as Hornady Black and another match grade ammo. About 60 rounds total. The range I went to requires a 25 yard "sight in" for new rifles.

So at 25 yards, I put two in the same hole about 1" above bullseye. Windage was perfect.

At 200 yards I missed the target altogether. We switch back to the 50/100 yard range. At 50 I'm at the very top of the paper. So a few more shots at 50 and 100 and I'm feeling lukewarm but we switch back to the 100/200/300 range.

From there, I was all over the place, including a 4" group at 100. Constant scope adjusting. Never did get anything better than minute of dinner plate. Had the friendly guy next to me shoot it, as he was shooting the same rifle in 6.5CM suppressed. He has the same results.

So just to make sure I wasn't having a seizure while behind the trigger, I shot @SKrueger 's Tikka. Managed to put two in the same hole at 300 about 1" to the right of center. Back to back. So I know it wasn't me. Not only that but I've successfully shot to 800 on a 2/3 silhouette with a .223 AR platform. I know how to shoot. I'm not the best, but I'm better than 4" groups at 100 yards with a $2000 rig.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. The scope and mount were looked at by several people including the RSO. Everyone agreed it was tight and mounted properly. The RSO said I needed to clean and break in the barrel and try different ammo. Another suggested trying a different scope to factor that out...

My question is does this thing really need a 200 round break-in to be accurate, even 1MOA accurate? Or do I have a possible scope/rifle issue. I have a Bushnell Elite I can rob off another gun and will more than likely do that. But wow, what a disappointment. Great day on the range, but I'm sure sitting here contemplating my choice of a 1000 yard gun.
Maybe amend this post.. like in the first sentence.
So that future and potential considerers of this fine rifle don't write it off without reading to page ten.

Got a call from Vortex this afternoon. He said the scope passed all the in-house tests. He is going to take it out tomorrow to the range and mount it on another .308 rifle and see what it does at 100 and 200 yards. I gotta say, their customer service is second to none!

If the scope will shoot sub-MOA groups, then it gets mailed back to me. That will REALLY be a head scratcher. He said out of approximately 700 scopes that passed the in-house test, only 8 have failed at the range. I will keep this thread updated.

Maybe the barrel really does need a good break in period. Kinda looking that way at this point. We'll see what the range report shows......

Got a call from Vortex this afternoon. He said the scope passed all the in-house tests. He is going to take it out tomorrow to the range and mount it on another .308 rifle and see what it does at 100 and 200 yards. I gotta say, their customer service is second to none!

If the scope will shoot sub-MOA groups, then it gets mailed back to me. That will REALLY be a head scratcher. He said out of approximately 700 scopes that passed the in-house test, only 8 have failed at the range. I will keep this thread updated.

So if its not the scope and we ruled out the RPR when we put my little $200 scope on it then WTF is it? I know that it wasn't you because you double tapped two rounds with my Tikka at 300 yds!

So if its not the scope and we ruled out the RPR when we put my little $200 scope on it then WTF is it? I know that it wasn't you because you double tapped two rounds with my Tikka at 300 yds!

Yeah, I know it's not me. I think most people can shoot better than 4" at 100 yards with even lousy glass.

But your RPR performed great with a different scope that is what is so confusing!:confused:

Again, maybe it was barrel break in? Maybe those 60 or so shots on the first trip and the good cleaning is what it needed to group up? I don't know brother. I've taken rifles out of the box and managed MOA with cheap ammo from the first shot forward.........

Again, maybe it was barrel break in? Maybe those 60 or so shots on the first trip and the good cleaning is what it needed to group up? I don't know brother. I've taken rifles out of the box and managed MOA with cheap ammo from the first shot forward.........

Like I did with my Tikkao_O Still crazy to me and I mean crazy as he!!

Like I did with my Tikkao_O Still crazy to me and I mean crazy as he!!

Agreed! Well, I can't very well send the rifle back to Ruger knowing it shot 1 1/8" at 200 yards with a 9 power scope. I can't make Vortex give me new glass. They even said I did a good job of not over torquing the mount. :confused:

Just a thought, did you happen to use different ammo during the last test with the Leupold then you used with the Vortex? I know mine really changed with various ammo!

Actually, I used some of the same PMC Bronze stuff to start. Then switched to Winchester SuperX. I also have some Matchking and Superformance ready to shoot as well for the next trip.

This wise wise man named Uraki told me once that when you break in a precision rifle you use nothing less than match grade ammo.:p:D

I guess its time for another range trip. :rolleyes:

Awww shucks, twist my arm a little more. :D:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews