JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From the article;
The state Court of Appeals ruled that it violates a law giving the state the power to regulate firearms. The ordinance would effectively, it found, "create a 'patchwork quilt' of firearms laws in Oregon, where firearms regulations that applied in some counties would not apply in Columbia County,"

Isn't that exactly what one of their recent laws did when it gave cities the power to create their own firearms ordinances? Hypocritical bastards...

From the article;
The state Court of Appeals ruled that it violates a law giving the state the power to regulate firearms. The ordinance would effectively, it found, "create a 'patchwork quilt' of firearms laws in Oregon, where firearms regulations that applied in some counties would not apply in Columbia County,"

Isn't that exactly what one of their recent laws did when it gave cities the power to create their own firearms ordinances? Hypocritical bastards...
It'll be even worse if HB 2007 and SB 686 pass. They want building owners to have the authority to ban anyone with a CHL from carrying.

The Columbia County measure actually usurped the authority of the State and Federal governments by saying their laws did not apply in Columbia County AND threatened to penalize anyone who enforced those laws in Columbia County. It was just crazy wetdream spawned by the local militia types.
Not at all. It was a tactic taken wholly from the "sanctuary city" or "sanctuary state" tactic used extremely commonly and frequently upheld by other states, counties, and municipalities. Essentially it was pro-gun groups looking at the legalized lawlessness throughout the nation, and attempting to utilize their exact techniques for their own benefit. The goal of this was two-fold: If they succeeded, they would be guaranteed the rights the 2a intended; if they should fail or if their success was cut-down in court, they would prove that there are clear biases in the courts and vindicate the belief that they are being treated as second-class citizens below even those non-citizens provided illegal protections under sanctuary city laws.

Not at all. It was a tactic taken wholly from the "sanctuary city" or "sanctuary state" tactic used extremely commonly and frequently upheld by other states, counties, and municipalities. Essentially it was pro-gun groups looking at the legalized lawlessness throughout the nation, and attempting to utilize their exact techniques for their own benefit. The goal of this was two-fold: If they succeeded, they would be guaranteed the rights the 2a intended; if they should fail or if their success was cut-down in court, they would prove that there are clear biases in the courts and vindicate the belief that they are being treated as second-class citizens below even those non-citizens provided illegal protections under sanctuary city laws.
Keep in mind that this is just my best guess at this point, I haven't had time to pull up all the different sanctuary laws to compare them, but I think the way this went off the rails is that the "immigration" sanctuary city laws rely on the premise of unfunded mandate (I saw the particular case quoted someplace in on of the links), but the Columba County version relied (at least in part) on the concept of the so-called Constitutional Sheriffs were the local Sheriff has more power and authority than any state or federal official or body. Constitutional Sheriffs are right up there with sovereign citizens and the Admiralty Flag . . . and like my Grandpa used to say "Don't eat that, Elmer."

Any idiot that brings the United nations and conspiracy theories into court cases hurts our whole cause tremendously. That was an idiotic move. What the hell was he thinking? That's probably gonna spread all over the place and further the snowflakes thinking all gun owners are nuts.

I could care less if he thinks that true, that's his business, but don't bring it into the court case. Makes us look ridiculous and kills credibility of our cause in and out of court.
Ahem....ALL snowflakes "KNOW" all gun owners ARE nuts.

Joe

Second Amendment sanctuary resolutions have been adopted by some 1,200 local governments around the U.S., including in Virginia, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas, Illinois and Florida, experts say. Many are symbolic, but some carry legal force like the one in Columbia County, a conservative, rural logging area in deep-blue Oregon.

The sanctuary movement took off around 2018 as states considered stricter gun laws in the wake of mass shootings, but it had not previously faced a major legal challenge.

The Oregon case was filed in 2021 under a provision in state law that allows a judge to examine a measure before it goes into effect. A trial court judge originally declined to rule, a decision that was appealed to the higher court.

The ordinance's supporters included the Oregon Firearms Federation, which said in a statement Wednesday that the ruling "calls into question the legitimacy of the court and the likelihood of getting fair rulings from it."

Opponents included the legal arm of the group Everytown for Gun Safety, which had argued that the ordinance violated the U.S. Constitution. Eric Tirschwell, executive director of Everytown Law, called the court's decision "a win for public safety and the rule of law."

SEE ALSO: Mayor Wheeler narrows down mass encampment locations, drafts letters of intent

"Opponents of gun safety laws have every right to advocate for change at the ballot box, statehouse, or Congress, but claiming to nullify them at the local level is both unconstitutional and dangerous," Tirschwell said.

State Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum, who has also sued two other Second Amendment sanctuary counties, also applauded the ruling.

"Today's opinion by the Court of Appeals makes it clear that common sense requirements like safe storage and background checks apply throughout Oregon," Rosenblum said. "Hopefully, other counties with similar measures on the books will see the writing on the wall."

Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

In all honesty, this was stupid on the state's part as well. There was no practical difference in law enforcement due to the sanctuary statutes, FFLs always abide by state and federal laws anyway, so it's not like sanctuary status was anything but symbolic and i can't imagine the county ever filing for compensation from the state for violating this statute. Effectively the state has only stoked the flames of centralized government and usurped local authorities from self determination.
Do ya think they're padding for BM114 to go through, or what?!

Kevin from off reminds me of the crazy guy who has "seen the light" you get trapped in conversation with at the counter... like, nice guy, but these statements make me question his sanity.

Kevin from off reminds me of the crazy guy who has "seen the light" you get trapped in conversation with at the counter... like, nice guy, but these statements make me question his sanity.
From what I have seen over the years he has some fairly strong opinions on non-2A issues and that is totally fine, we all do, but on occasion he has allowed his opinion on those non-2A issues to become part of his arguments surrounding 2-A issues which has only muddied the waters and allowed the conversation to get side tract by those non-2A issues.

Others may see it differently, that is just the way I have seen it play out

Countersuit; States cannot nullify/disobey/break Federal laws, if counties cannot prevent State and local authorities from enforcing Federal laws, then by extension, States cannot be compelled to refuse to enforce Federal laws (drugs, immigration to name two ) :rolleyes:

Edit. This should be able to go to Fed district Court (right....) and then to Supreme Court (that's if 9th District doesn't remand the State Court decision if anyone appeals that to 9th District :rolleyes: )

So now Everytown wants to support the constitution? What hypocritical a-holes!

Opponents included the legal arm of the group Everytown for Gun Safety, which had argued that the ordinance violated the U.S. Constitution. Eric Tirschwell, executive director of Everytown Law, called the court's decision "a win for public safety and the rule of law."
"Opponents of gun safety laws have every right to advocate for change at the ballot box, statehouse, or Congress, but claiming to nullify them at the local level is both unconstitutional and dangerous," Tirschwell said.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top