JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your plan for protecting yourself / your family against violence during a protest?

• Avoid it entirely, because emotional idiots in large groups are bad juju.

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Attend while carrying concealed, because my 1st and 2nd Amendment rights aren't mutually exclusive.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Attend while carrying openly, because I think it will deter people from being violent.

• Attend while naked, because nobody in their right mind is gonna mess with a naked dude.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Find a bar nearby, order a pint, and live-stream the whole thing with funny commentary thrown in.

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Other (specify)

• Total voters
Reactions
Given the politically charged environment we find ourselves in, I've been thinking more and more about defense against a violent mob or group of angry protestors. There have been numerous cases of defensive gun usage lately involving this topic, and I strongly suspect we will see more mob- and group-perpetrated violence in the near future. While I tend to avoid large crowds and protests - the risk just doesn't justify the reward in my opinion - I occasionally have to work downtown in an area prone to protest activity.

The poll question is "What is your plan for protecting yourself / your family against violence during a protest?" The assumption here is that you are not in your home, but at a public place where a protest is unfolding. The main things I'm hoping to learn are:
  1. Which of those options, or any alternatives, do you think is best for you?
  2. WHY that option? What alternatives have you explored / discarded, and why did those other options NOT work for you?
  3. Any tips, tricks, or recommendations you can share for others who might find themselves in this kind of situation.
When doing some research I was linked to two good sources that cover this topic. The first is an interview with Mas Ayoob on the topic of surviving a violent mob, and the other is the Riot Survival Compendium by Greg Ellifritz (both are also linked below). I strongly encourage anyone with similar concerns / curiosity about the topic to check these out - they are quite informative, and look at the issue from a variety of angles and scenarios.

Personally, I will continue to avoid protests and that kind of nonsense as much as possible. The only way I see myself being present during a protest is if I'm stuck at the office when it happens. In that case, I'm gonna stay put until it all dissipates.

Also, just wanted to call out that I don't agree with all of Mas' conclusions in his interview. For example, if I've somehow failed to avoid the protest and am stuck in my car as it breaks out into a riot, there is absolutely NO WAY in hell I'm going to keep my windows cracked an inch, regardless of the potential improvement in hearing and/or any impact attenuation it might give the window. Rioters often carry pepper spray and bear mace, and I'm not going to open myself up to that kind of attack. That being said, I do think he makes some excellent points otherwise, especially on the subject of perceived innocence, social media posting leading up to an event, etc.

I'm avoiding them completely. Both sides. Whether I agree with what is being protested or not. The only way I am getting caught up in one is if I'm in blocked traffic. But I try to do as much info gathering before I plan my route if I know something is going to be popping off. I avoid downtown completely unless I am down there for work. With that being said I'm off work at 1500. So all the protesters/rioters are still at their parents house sleeping in getting ready for a night of dress up. So luckily I should avoid the majority of it. I have a standard with my wife to be out of Portland by nightfall. I also carry from the point I wake up to the time I go to bed. Luckily I can carry at work.

Gustave Le Bon - My spirit guide.

quote-the-masses-have-never-thirsted-after-truth-whoever-can-supply-them-with-illusions-is-gus...jpg

"Attend while naked, because nobody in their right mind is gonna mess with a naked dude."

I was going to vote this way but, wasn't sure if it was a windy day or a calm day! If windy, might cause my gun to get charged and go off unexpectedly!:eek:

There is no defending yourself around here against a violent protest. PERIOD.

Doesnt matter if its a clean shoot or not. YOU. WILL. GO. TO. JAIL. AND. BE. PROSECUTED.

Cant imagine the situation where you happen to find yourself in the middle of a swarm of rioters. Unless maybe they flood onto the freeway and you cannot escape... Even then... you will never be a free man again if you pull a trigger on a rioter around here.

If youre stuck in your car in a time like this... get out, sit on your hood... have a cigarette and yell bubblegum THE POLICE every so often and theyll leave you alone.

Again... stay the hell away from these sutiations. There is no friendly news coverage for you, there is no sympathetic jury around here, there is no sympathetic law enforcement here. You are bubblegumed.

Look at the latest example from Portland... This guy got into a shootout with them right in front of his house. He took some bullets and while he recovered in the hospital, the cops took him into custody the second he was medically stable.

Not sure of the details on that one... but just know that the cops are NOT your friend and these bubblegums WILL SHOOT BACK and get away with it.

TIme for everyone to realize that if you have beliefs that are to the right of Mao... YOU ARE IN ENEMY OCCUPIED TERRITORY. This is not your city anymore, this is not your state anymore and soon enough, this wont be your country anymore. These subhuman bags of piss have taken over every lever of public and private power in the country.

Act accordingly. Stay the hell away from these crowds... monitor their social medias to know where things are planned and stay away. You cannot win.

Time to stop thinking you are Rambo and starting realizing you are more like Anne Frank

If avoiding the entire mess is a viable option that's the one I am taking. There is enough trouble in life already to unnecessarily add more. Particularly over something as lamentable as contemporary political lunacy and the bile flowing from said.

If avoiding the entire mess is a viable option that's the one I am taking. There is enough trouble in life already to unnecessarily add more. Particularly over something as lamentable as contemporary political lunacy and the bile flowing from said.
Agree 110%, but if it ever comes to my neighborhood (and my street in particular) and things go sideways, then there's Plan-B….

34BFF5AA-B4C8-44DD-BC2A-742A4450FB45.jpeg

and Plan-C…
B04EAD36-9270-49E5-A655-B89B58B0EEAF.jpeg

Even when I was young and liked to go out for fun I LONG ago stopped going to places like Seattle for the night life. Too many people in a crowd is not my idea of fun. No way in hell am I going to one of these protest's. Only way I end up stuck in one is if I drive into it and get trapped. If it was just people in the way? I would drive out. NO WAY IN HELL would I stop in a crowd and let them into my car.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top