Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Rimfire

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rufus, Dec 17, 2011.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

For some reason I keep coming back to rimfire. Not for hunting or defensive purposes, just for the joy of shooting. Can't really put my finger on why. It's not the lower cost, lack or recoil, or availability of centerfire guns (I have way more of them). Nope, they just are the most fun to shoot IMHO.

Like a fool, I've sold/traded too many good rimfire guns over the years. Now I want them back. All of 'em!

No such luck. :bawling:

Give me a decent rifle and/or pistol, a brick of good 'ol .22LR, and some golfballs and I'm a happy guy. My wife says I'm a cheap date. I must be getting old!

2. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

I too am a huge fan of rimfires. I love my centerfires, shooting them & reloading for them.
    The rimfire is where I get my most joy. That's why when I'm not here at this forum I'm at RFC.

If you haven't checked them out, you should! :thumbup: RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

3. rufus

RFC is responsible for my addiction! ;)

4. DinhRose

DinhRose Austin, Texas (Ex-Pat of SE PDX) Active Member

I love shooting the .22lr. I get I do the rapid fire like they do in he movies and I am able to keep it on target. Cheap fun and great for training. Builds muscle memory well. Plus you can get your spouse and children into shooting without worrying about the recoil. I too have traded away my rim fire guns and man I miss them alot. Luckily my buddy has a bunch of them so I can get my fix when needed :)

5. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

Hang tight, Rufus - in my version of Heaven you get your old guns and dogs back! :thumbup:

6. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

I love .22s. If I could only have one caliber that would be it.

Nwcid, chemist, rufus and 3 others like this.
  7. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree. 10/22, Browning Buckmark, and I'd love to have a dedicated 22 upper for my AR. Just the most fun to shoot and cheap enough to shoot often.

8. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

My Buckmark now goes with me to every visit to the range, even if I do not plan to shoot it.

Just found out about the Savage 22LR Tactical Rifle and put it on my "want" list :)

9. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Some people make fun of how much I shoot .22's but I like it too. I like it cause they are fun, but also because of the lower cost and noise (especially with silencers). I put in way more trigger time because of that which makes me a better shooter in the long run. About 25% of my collection is .22's.

10. rufus

I'm embarrassed to admit this is currently my only .22, but I have big plans. :thumbup:

Let's see pictures of your rimfires or links to the one's on the want list...

11. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

How about a Winchester 1903, Winchester Model 1903 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Try finding ammo for this :(

DSC_0062.jpg

How about something a little more modern, CMMG upper with Spikes lower.

DSC_0004-4.jpg

Something a little quieter, Ruger 77/22 with Gemtech OB2

DSC06840.jpg

Something a little cooler, Kimber 1911/22 with Gemtech OB2

DSC04443.jpg

Those are a few of my favorites.

I for got to add belt fed is always a plus too,

DSC_0090.jpg

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  12. rufus

Oh yeah!

I "had" a 77/22 like that in WMR, minus the can, that I sold here. My "one" NWF transaction. That Model 1903 is sweet.

13. bulzeye

bulzeye scappoose Member

i love mine. right out of the box shot .5 moa at 50yds prone with a bipod and no rear bag

2011-08-18212529.jpg

rufus and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

Dang,didn't know about that Savage Tactical rifle .! kewl !!!
    I take 2 or 3 rimfires to the range every trip,and they all get some trigger time.cheap and fun to shoot,and the kids love 'em.

15. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

Can't have a rimfire thread without mentioning the Ruger 10/22 and 22/45.

Both are just lovely firearms and the 10/22 has so many options for modifications that its impossible to not own a couple if not many.