JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of getting into something different (for me). I haven't owned a bolt action rifle for years but I'm considering trying something longer range than pistol. I've got enough firsts and seconds in local pistol comps. to have nothing to prove to myself, and quite frankly, with me almost 70 and the wife retiring in a couple months, shooting while outdoors sitting at a table has some appeal. :)
Looking to get in with a decent setup without spending over $1k for everything.
Do-able?
Maybe a Savage B22 precision?

I don't want to spend it all on the gun and have to use a paper towel tube for a scope… thoughts ??

added;
initially looking at 100 - 200 yds

Last Edited:
What range are you looking to shoot out to?

I have a Savage .17HMR that was dirt cheap but groups amazing. My go to sage rat hunting platform.

C066845F-61E6-4655-AAAA-AF8379E01186.jpeg

Last Edited:
Agreed with @Vierings on all accounts. I have 4-16 Diamondback Tactical on mine and it shoots pretty good. Nice that it uses 10/22 mags also.

11 shot group at 100 yards with CCI Standard Velocity

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-01-22 17:36:02.258179.jpg

Last Edited:
I own one and there are things I like, things I don't like.

The trigger is ok. It's not bad, it's just not great and the only aftermarket I've found is the timney which costs as much as the rifle. It can be a tack driver. Depending on ammo, I can get a 5 shot group into a space about the size of my pinky nail at 50yds. I can also get a group the size of a quarter half an inch to the left/right of point of aim. I find eley to be pretty consistently good with bulk federal CPHP being very poor

The stock feels cheap. I mean it's a .22 but come on. The rail looks real nice and the barrel floats inside it with space to spare, I'm just not sure it has any real utility. I suppose I could attach weights to it...

I love that it takes my already plentiful 10/22 mags and that was the main reason I bought it. However, the bolt has some sharp points right where it would glide over the next round in the mag so the magazine isn't really used when I'm trying to get good groups as gouged bullets don't lend themselves to precision. This could probably be fixed with a quick edge breaking and polish.

Overall, very nice rifle for the price. Whether or not I suggest buying one over something else depends on if you own other Ruger .22s or not.

What range are you looking to shoot out to?

I have a Savage .17HMR that was dirt cheap but groups amazing. My go to sage rat hunting platform.

View attachment 1376558
I agree. I enjoy my .17HMR a lot. Since the bullet is so lightweight, wind plays a huge part in getting into the X-ring. I also have a matching .22 Magnum that is also extremely accurate. Ammo is plentiful (now) and relatively inexpensive.

Definitely look at CZ 22lr rifles. There are a bunch out there and they are all very nice.

I have two, one in 17hmr and one in 22 lr. I like them both. I found difficulty with height over bore under <75 yards with the 17hmr. However, the .22 is very reliable at that distance. At your desired shooting distance I think the .17hmr would have an advantage from its speed and trajectory. Shooting the .22 might be a little more difficult at that range. The .22 paired with eley subsonic and a suppressor is a very fun and quiet combo indeed. The .17 will never be a quiet shooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top