JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Those "FMJ's" are quite a bit larger in diameter now, dissipating energy faster.

Pistol rnds don't attain the velocities of rifle rnds. One reason why is the longer barrel, but even shot from a similar barrel ...

You guys believe you want, but I'm not buyin it.:rolleyes:

Those "FMJ's" are quite a bit larger in diameter now, dissipating energy faster.

Pistol rnds don't attain the velocities of rifle rnds. One reason why is the longer barrel, but even shot from a similar barrel ...

You guys believe you want, but I'm not buyin it.:rolleyes:

Video is right there... not much to argue. Its a mass and velocity issue.

Same reason why hyper velocity rounds like the 220 swift start out crazy fast, but bleed fps quickly compared to heavier bullets starting slower, but retaining their velocity comparatively for a longer period of time. Simply put, if were talking a 55gr .223 and a 124gr 9mm, the .223 is going more than twice as fast out of the average barrel, but the 9mm is also twice as heavy, and that mass has an effect on the potential penetration. When discussing hollow point ammunition, yes pistol ammo may expand, and that does make it wider and expel more energy in whatever it is passing through, but .223 also tumbles, and when you turn a 55 grain .223 sideways from it tumbling it is much wider than the explanding 9mm hp, and half as heavy.

You are definitely welcome to believe whatever you want. I tend to go with what I see done, and here's a second video showing .223 penetrating less than 9mm.

Hey folks,

Here is the result of today's rifle vs pistol on 1/4" steel. This hunk of metal was taken from an old fireplace insert.

View attachment 645646
7.62x51, 24" barrel, 150gr, 50 yards
5.56x45, 16" barrel, 55 gr, 50 yards
.38 Special, 2.5" barrel, 130 gr, 10 yards
.357 Mag, 2.5" barrel, 158 gr, 10 yards

Really shows the difference between "cover" and "concealment" when facing different firearm platforms.

As the saying goes: a pistol is so you can fight your way to a rifle.

Safe Shooting.
Cool test! I wonder if a 22 tcm pistol would make it through that (2000 fps out of a pistol). Supposed to have better penetration than FN 5.7

Cool test! I wonder if a 22 tcm pistol would make it through that (2000 fps out of a pistol). Supposed to have better penetration than FN 5.7

Personally I prefer the 5.7x28 as the Five Seven is much lighter (makes a difference for its use by my family), the rifle has more capacity and is a bullpup, and over time I am betting that the ammo is more available (I have 5K+ rounds and I have paid about 30 to 34 cents per round for most of it). AFAIK there is only one manufacturer for .22 TCM - Armscor. There are two for 5.7 - Federal and FN (not including the custom ammo like Elite).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top