JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the OP had to ream out his gas port from .062 to .098 to get the rifle to run.

That seems to be something the mfg should have known (and repaired...) so Why isnt there a standard in gas port size?

So the OP had to ream out his gas port from .062 to .098 to get the rifle to run.

That seems to be something the mfg should have known (and repaired...) so Why isnt there a standard in gas port size?
Koda, that's a very good question. This was built from individually sourced parts so there was no mfr. to appeal to. Near as I can tell, most AR 308 barrels you buy don't list the port diameter in their specs and/or come undersized. My theory is that, unlike AR15s, there are enough variables with buffer type and barrel configurations, etc. for the .308 that barrel manufacturers figure folks are going to have to figure out the correct port for each build. If you spend enough time researching it that seems to be the conclusion.

Take care

Koda, that's a very good question. This was built from individually sourced parts so there was no mfr. to appeal to. Near as I can tell, most AR 308 barrels you buy don't list the port diameter in their specs and/or come undersized. My theory is that, unlike AR15s, there are enough variables with buffer type and barrel configurations, etc. for the .308 that barrel manufacturers figure folks are going to have to figure out the correct port for each build. If you spend enough time researching it that seems to be the conclusion.

Take care
The barrel manufacturer would be the one to fall back on.

But it sounds like there isnt a consensus in the gunsmith community on what the port size should be. In that case, the smaller diameter would be more prudent as it can be reamed out. That begs the opposite question though, if smaller diameters work for other people then what does that take to get that port size to run and why isnt that a standard.
Ultimately I think the barrel manufacturer should be able to answer that but Im demanding like that. :p Ive also seen where the shooting community is just all over the place with various opinions on how to do something right so probably no real solution here with port sizes, locations, and various buffer configurations.

Glad you got it figured out.
You could spring for the Geissele, but I'd recommend you perfect your accuracy and trigger work with the "dragging a brick across concrete" trigger that you are using. I use both the Larue and Geissele triggers. Prefer the Geissele, but there's just a minute difference in feeling, the Geissele being a longer pull in the 2nd stage.

Found a stupid good deal on the Geissele G2S ($99 after "promo" code) and the jonesin' got the better of me so I, ahem, pulled the proverbial trigger. I'm excited because this will be my first aftermarket trigger.

Found a stupid good deal on the Geissele G2S ($99 after "promo" code) and the jonesin' got the better of me so I, ahem, pulled the proverbial trigger. I'm excited because this will be my first aftermarket trigger.
careful, now you have 2.1 AR rifles. This is how new AR rifles are born...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top