JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello hello!

Longtime handgun/shotgun owner looking to pick up a first time AR.
I have done some essential googling and simple forum searching, and am looking to buy an AR. I have started to compile an opinion on what I should buy. I am of the mind to get something whole and learning the system with the open mind, and in the future, to piece together a rifle once I figure out what is what. My main uses will be stationary target shooting, occasional varmit hunting and eventually moving into three gun competition. I have about $1500 to spend. I am eyeing the Colt LE6920, but am open to suggestion. Anyone have superior forum searching skills that might point me to threads discussing first time buyer advice? Any others have their own opinions on what might be the best first time rifle to pick up?

Thank you so much for your responses!

I think the Colt 6920 is the way to go if you're going to buy an entire gun.

Keep your eyes open, and with some diligence and luck, you'll be able to find that Colt for about a grand. Spend the rest of your budget on a set of free floating handguards (Midwest Industries will be your most cost effective bet) and a low-profile gas block. Take it all over to Curt's Shooters Supply in Gladstone and have them reassemble everything.

From there, gameplan out a set of optics.

Or vice versa.

But ultimately, if you're wanting "stationary target shooting, occasional varmit hunting and eventually moving into three gun competition," then a free-floated handguard, good optics, and a bipod should be all on your eventual shopping list.

I think the Colt 6920 is the way to go if you're going to buy an entire gun.

Keep your eyes open, and with some diligence and luck, you'll be able to find that Colt for about a grand. Spend the rest of your budget on a set of free floating handguards (Midwest Industries will be your most cost effective bet) and a low-profile gas block. Take it all over to Curt's Shooters Supply in Gladstone and have them reassemble everything.

From there, gameplan out a set of optics.

Or vice versa.

But ultimately, if you're wanting "stationary target shooting, occasional varmit hunting and eventually moving into three gun competition," then a free-floated handguard, good optics, and a bipod should be all on your eventual shopping list.

Nothing against Colt, or their quality, but it really doesn't make sense to me to go out, buy a brand new firearm, then spend MORE money on it swapping out pieces and parts to get what you want. Especially when what you want is made by other manufacturers, with similar quality.

I do agree on going to Curt's Discount Shooters Supply, he also has a forum here. I'd go in with my budget and tell him what I wanted. He really won't steer you wrong and you should get a gun to fit your needs that you don't have to then swap a bunch of parts on. Quite a few companies are putting out 3-gun specific AR's now and maybe on of those would suit your needs. Or, get something Curt builds for you, for your needs and not something off the shelf that's close.

I'd start looking for something with a quality 18" barrel, something heavier then found in the Colt and something having a slower twist rate, like 1/8 or 1/7 (like the Colt) depending on how heavy or light of bullets you wanted to shoot. Flat top upper and have a free float tube you can add rails to or take off all together. Mounting a lower rail will let you put a bi-pod on it, or take it off when you start to compete. It also give you options for mounting optics, using the flat top to mount a scope or red dot, then you can mount MBUS with it, or off set, or off set a red dot.

Again, nothing against the Colt, they are fine rifles, I just think there are other fine rifles out there that better suit what the OP wants out of the box.

My first AR was a Colt 6920. I really like it. I would buy another.

However, BCM makes an excellent AR for your price range.

A BCM 16" Hammer Forged Lightweight Middy rifle ($1550). It features a 13" Geissele MK4 (SAND) Rail System and a B5 Systems Bravo Stock (FDE).
<broken link removed>

For discussion about this see:
Poor mans BCM HSP Jack! - M4Carbine.net Forums

A BCM RECCE 14.5 MOD 0 ($1392). The upper and lower receivers have been cerakoted in flat dark earth (FDE). This gun has a BCM MOD 1 Comp pinned on (making it 16 OAL).
<broken link removed>

Not a thing wrong with the rampant pony. But IMO there are other options that will get you closer to the rifle it sounds like you want. There are soooo many makers in the market now that suggesting any one will just stir the hornet nest of opinion. I have had good and bad experiences with a variety of rifle manufactures over the many years I have been using the AR platform rifle both personally and professionally.

Now I will toss a wrench in your thinking; please understand I am not saying there is any 'issue' with the standard AR platform the way it is. But in the last 2-3 years I have been shooting and using a number of piston AR's. I think that the DI system in the AR rifle is one aspect that can be improved upon. My reasoning on this is 1. after a long day of training on the line my piston AR's are WAY easier to clean than my issued rifle. 2. The piston gun works better with my suppressor (I am a lefty and get a blast of hot gas in the face from DI guns) 3. The piston gun seems to run cooler.

I only point this out because it may be worth considering what system you would like to start off with and go from there. The advise of going to the local shop and building a 'spec' gun is truly a good idea.

Have fun with the process and then shoot the heck out of the rifle.

At least you waited for the AR panic buying surge to be over.
Plus "1" on the advise concerning Curt's. They are really squared away and that's where I would head to if I was in the market.

Nothing against Colt, or their quality, but it really doesn't make sense to me to go out, buy a brand new firearm, then spend MORE money on it swapping out pieces and parts to get what you want. Especially when what you want is made by other manufacturers, with similar quality.

Again, nothing against the Colt, they are fine rifles, I just think there are other fine rifles out there that better suit what the OP wants out of the box.

I agree totally, but I made my recommendation on account of the OP stating "I am of the mind to get something whole and learning the system with the open mind, and in the future, to piece together a rifle once I figure out what is what."

Piecing together an AR, even if he has the guys at Curt's assemble it, runs counter to that.

BUT - just thought of this and don't know why I didn't think of it before. Buying a complete upper and complete lower might work just as well, and for a $1500 budget, he'd be able to find just about anything he'd want.

Can't go wrong with colt. There's also some attractive options from BCM and Daniel Defense (or if you have the budget for it, Noveske). The latters need some assembly that require you to push two pins, to mate the upper and lower receiver. If you've ever operated an etch-a-sketch you are vastly overqualified for the assembly.

You can buy a complete M4 AR15 upper kit with stock and trigger group at Palmetto State Armory right now for $499.
Get yourself a $99 lower at your local gun shop and you've got all the parts for a complete Military spec AR15.

Learning to assemble your new rifle will teach you quite a lot about the rifle and how it functions.

With the extra $700 you have left over you can invest in a good quality optic like an Eotech, some mags, hunter safey course and some ammo.

I agree totally, but I made my recommendation on account of the OP stating "I am of the mind to get something whole and learning the system with the open mind, and in the future, to piece together a rifle once I figure out what is what."

Piecing together an AR, even if he has the guys at Curt's assemble it, runs counter to that.

BUT - just thought of this and don't know why I didn't think of it before. Buying a complete upper and complete lower might work just as well, and for a $1500 budget, he'd be able to find just about anything he'd want.

I read that as buy now, build later, but to each their own.

It would be nice however if the OP would come back and tell us what they've decided or purchased.

Thank you all for your recommendations! I ended up picking up a Colt LE6920.

I truly appreciate everyone's thoughts and encouragements!

This is what I acquired (from Sportsmans Outdoor - $1100):

I used Curt's for my FFL. (They were AWESOME! ..not to mention super cheap transfer fee.)

Their knowlegable staff suggested a bipod (which I bought there ($40) - Additionally I ordered this bipod mount compatible with the Magpul handgaurd: Impact Weapons Components )

Curt's even had a bunch of ammo variety. I picked up several boxes of these (box/20/$12)(thoughts? Recommendations?) :

Thanks again for all y'all's thoughts/help/advice.

See you at the club/on the range!

Attachments

• M4_zps4e50c8ff.jpe
    M4_zps4e50c8ff.jpe
    74.4 KB · Views: 71
  • ColtAmmo_zps284ddb72.jpe
    ColtAmmo_zps284ddb72.jpe
    60.8 KB · Views: 57

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show