JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting....my last Arsenal was '08ish...only complaint back then was meh paint they used for finish, build quality was great.
I have owned virtually every Arsenal they have produced and really the only black eye is the current build Sam-5 which had the wrong size gas port causing a way overgassed situation or the wrong selector stop plate on the early 106 AKs.. But Like any company there will be some QC issues here and there but they are a very small number of Arsenals produced. To this day I have never had a canted Arsenal that was badly canted it would not zero, or had a paint issue. People that used solvents to clean have had an issue. For the most part Arsenal AKs have been top shelf products.

List,

New (long ago member) here. I am wanting to try an AK (been a FAL/M1A guy for decades), and I do not know where to start. Would prefer to pay once for a higher quality piece with magazines, rather than buy/sell my way up the ladder.

So...I would like advice as to which rifle would be the 'best' first candidate. I have researched quite a bit and the options are overwhelming (Polytech, Norinco, Beryl, WBP, PSA, WASR, Hungarian, Arsenal, Yugo, Maadi, etc.). Stamped, milled, US made/foreign, etc. Not looking to pimp the piece, but keep it stock and as reliable as possible for the long run.

Spend amount - up to $1200 or so. Thanks very much for the help. (BTW I am in WY, and would prefer to purchase privately in state if possible).
Yugo (not a beater Century build), or a MAK-90. Not in the same ball park but same league- an SKS with chest pouch and strippered ammo.. Frankly, these days you might consider a quality AR15 and a stack0mags...

For what it's worth I enjoy my SAR-1 which is similar to WASR but came in during the AWB Era and therefore will be sans a bayonet lug and threads at the end of the barrel. I've heard of guys debanning them but honestly the extra money might get you to a higher level of AK. Just throw a side folder on it and shoot the piss out of it.

I have thought about going the AR route, but I have been shooting 7.62 for so long it is hard to "lower" myself to a poodle-shooter (just kidding).

I saw a PSA GF3, a Zpap M70, AMD-65, and several kit builds in the classifieds this morning. Saw a FEG, Arsenal, and a Poly too. Very expensive, although to me they look the same as the others.

Folks here seem to be favoring a norinco, and I think that is my first choice (even with the thumbhole stock).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top