JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
List,

New (long ago member) here. I am wanting to try an AK (been a FAL/M1A guy for decades), and I do not know where to start. Would prefer to pay once for a higher quality piece with magazines, rather than buy/sell my way up the ladder.

So...I would like advice as to which rifle would be the 'best' first candidate. I have researched quite a bit and the options are overwhelming (Polytech, Norinco, Beryl, WBP, PSA, WASR, Hungarian, Arsenal, Yugo, Maadi, etc.). Stamped, milled, US made/foreign, etc. Not looking to pimp the piece, but keep it stock and as reliable as possible for the long run.

Spend amount - up to $1200 or so. Thanks very much for the help. (BTW I am in WY, and would prefer to purchase privately in state if possible).

If I was in Wyoming I'd ask around at ranges or hunting clubs. For $1200 you'd probably find a nice Norinco Mak 90 or Romanian-made Draco.

I would avoid Century C39 and early IO imports.

1st choices, factory built "com bloc" guns:
Bulgarian Arsenals
Fegs
Norincos/Polytech
Romanian ( sar, wsar, wum )
Maadi
yugos
maybe the newer Polish guns ( havent touched one myself)

2nd, quality builds off factory barreled kits
( subjective and depends on who made it and how well it was assembled)

3rd, US offerings...latest PSAs seem great, I wouldnt look twice at a Century made gun

As always, my opinion is what you paid for it :D

I'd go with a Zastava if you want a good AK you intend on actually shooting and not just buying as an investment. I own many.

PSA is a quality budget AK and there is nothing wrong with them. I own a few of these too. Never had a single issue.

1st choices, factory built "com bloc" guns:
Bulgarian Arsenals
Fegs
Norincos/Polytech
Romanian ( sar, wsar, wum )
Maadi
yugos
maybe the newer Polish guns ( havent touched one myself)

2nd, quality builds off factory barreled kits
( subjective and depends on who made it and how well it was assembled)

3rd, US offerings...latest PSAs seem great, I wouldnt look twice at a Century made gun

As always, my opinion is what you paid for it :D
^^^^^This right here!^^^^^
I don't have a finger on the AK market any longer, so I don't know where to get them or kits to build them. That said, I would check all the local shops in your area and see what there is ( Bad time to be looking says me) but you never know! Might be worth the time to make a trip to Colorado, there are still halfway decent shops in Denver and a couple of half way decent gun shows now and again, might be the best option, I don't know much about Wy or the gun shops there!

^^^^^This right here!^^^^^
I don't have a finger on the AK market any longer, so I don't know where to get them or kits to build them. That said, I would check all the local shops in your area and see what there is ( Bad time to be looking says me) but you never know! Might be worth the time to make a trip to Colorado, there are still halfway decent shops in Denver and a couple of half way decent gun shows now and again, might be the best option, I don't know much about Wy or the gun shops there!
I'm a bit outta the loop too..my last was a home built $69 Romy kit ...
I have had a dozen or more over the years of many makes....can help with opinions if he gets some options narrowed down

I'd go with a Zastava if you want a good AK you intend on actually shooting and not just buying as an investment. I own many.
Yugos are solid. Especially with the heavier stamped receiver.
Agreed. Zastava is probably the best value in AKs right now.

People also rave about the Polish Beryl, but I have never handled one.

IMO stay away from Arsenal. If you want canted sights and gas ports out of spec there are much cheaper options. Once upon a time Arsenal were good but the last batch that came into the country have *very* poor QC. People are losing $4-$500 dumping them on Gunbroker.

Agreed. Zastava is probably the best value in AKs right now.

People also rave about the Polish Beryl, but I have never handled one.

IMO stay away from Arsenal. If you want canted sights and gas ports out of spec there are much cheaper options. Once upon a time Arsenal were good but the last batch that came into the country have *very* poor QC. People are losing $4-$500 dumping them on Gunbroker.
Interesting....my last Arsenal was '08ish...only complaint back then was meh paint they used for finish, build quality was great.

I don't even like AKs...but I like listening to Rob's accent. :D
He has a bunch of informative videos on his channels.
View: https://youtu.be/okvX52kRT-M

View: https://youtu.be/waL6JsrkXjQ

Edit to add: What about a 3pack covering all the bases? Good/OK/Bad?

1707946203163.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews