JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure I really like this thread ! lol I'm currently in the market for a 9mm, was thinking either a Taurus or Kahr Arms 9mm. I read a recent thread about a Kahr recall now baggin on Taurus ! You guy's are not making this easy for me !!!!!!! :s0114:

Wow...you're on two different ends of the price spectrum! As if that's the best way to choose a gun! :) (pointing fun at my own comment)

Find what feels right, and fits what you're going to use it for. :) Taurus or no.

The Sheriff of Modoc County California (one of the few will issue Sheriffs in that state) was once asked if it was true that he wore his sidearm in the shower.

"Sure," he replied, "That's why they make 'em outa stainless steel."

Man I'm slow...I thought this was a legit thread about Taurus.... :eek:

Ok...here's one!

One of the best marksmen in the FBI was passing through a small town. Everywhere he saw evidences of the most amazing shooting. On trees, on walls, and on fences there were numerous bull's-eyes with the bullet hole in dead center. The FBI man asked one of the townsmen if he could meet the person responsible for this wonderful marksmanship. The man turned out to be the
village idiot.

"This is the best marksmanship I have ever seen." said theFBI man. "How in the world do you do it?"

"Nothing to it," said the idiot. "I shoot first and draw the circles afterward."

I have 2 Taurus's and they have no issues what so ever, there for I have no issue with Taurus. I think they are just plagued by a bad reputation do to early quality control issues and there poor customer service practices.

Today you might want to take a second look at Taurus because in my opinion they are now what they used to only tout they were. They now make quality firearms at a real decent price. I did make a few changes to my Taurus PT1911 however but they were personal preferance sort of changes. I swapped out their stupid hammer lock hammer with a wilson combat peice, I removed the firing pin block, swapped in a titanium firing pin w/extra heavy duty wolf firing pin spring, swapped out their full length guide rod system for a dual recoil spring setup sprung heavy for 45 Super loading, but see I didn't do any of this because it was neccesary. It was a fine gun rock stock from the factory. I swapped out the hammer because it's stupid. I don't like firing pin blocks because they are completely unnecessary and just another thing to go wrong in any gun. The firing pin, spring, and recoil setup were just a basic 45 Super conversion.

It shot flawlessly and accurately straight out of the box and cost me less then $600's. Exactly where are these aledged Taurus quality issues you speak of?

I have PT111 Taurus :s0155:which I have not any problems with. This pistol is a stryker fired gun with a trigger that doesn't have the dumb two piece style like Glocks and others. The trigger has a second strike capability, wonder who they copied that from. One nice thing it also has manual safety, so you can stick it in your pocket and not worry about the trigger snagging on something like the Glock trigger. The quality seems good, I also own a Glock which is a safe queen and I'm gonna sell. I have Sigs which I don't sell. How's this for a pro Taurus post? Spad

I don't really have a problem with their guns, its their idea of customer service that I have a problem with. Basically they wanted me to FedEx overnight the entire gun so they can replace a firing pin that I could easily replace myself...? I will reveal details once I get the rest of my pistol back...:(

My dad and I have both owned Taurus revolvers and Taurus slide guns. ZERO problems with any of them and they are accurate as ****. I find that less work needs to be done on the revolver triggers than on a S&W to smooth it out.

I also like their lifetime warranty. Most companies that offer them will decline a repair due to a technicality. Not Taurus!

I have three Taurus pistols and my experience has been mixed. The built-in safety broke on my PT145 before I even shot it and I have to decided whether it's worth it to pay money and mail it to the factory, or just try to find a local gunsmith. I have a small Taurus 9mm revolver snubby that feels great in the hand or pocket, but uses moon clips to hold the rounds and thus seems to be less-than-100% reliable at times. Lastly, I have a PT92 which is very accurate, a pleasure to shoot and quite dependable. However, based on my PT145 experience, I don't know that I would buy another Taurus in the future.

How fast the thread goes off topic....

I for one don't mind Taurus's designs. Like the PT92. They took the original Beretta design and made it better (in my opinion).

I think the main thing that hurts Taurus is the perception that they are poor quality, or lower quality than other mfg.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

They did not take Beretta's design and make it better. They bought the rights to a design that Beretta was discontinuing and replacing with a better design. Imitation would be flattery, if they made a decent quality reproduction.

Their small caliber revolvers (.38 spc or smaller) are fine in a pinch, but their internals are not good enough for me to trust with higher calibers. And their auto's, even their new ones, are still QC nightmares. I refuse to trust my life with one as a carry or nightstand gun after all the problems I've seen with them (notice, I said seen, not heard about).

The auto-pistol design they make I have not seen or heard of problems with yet is their 1911. But I have yet to handle or shoot one, so I cannot speak about it.

In general, if I need an inexpensive yet reliable pistol, it will probably say Ruger on it.

They did not take Beretta's design and make it better. They bought the rights to a design that Beretta was discontinuing and replacing with a better design. Imitation would be flattery, if they made a decent quality reproduction.

Beretta was discontinuing the original design, which may be considered a better design, which they sold to Taurus. Taurus then added their own additions to the old design.

At least I think that's correct...I can't find the words from Taurus himself....

In general, if I need an inexpensive yet reliable pistol, it will probably say Ruger on it.

I'm not arguing with that. Though I wouldn't call their .22 pistols inexpensive. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top