JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you prefer your revolvers blued or stainless?

• Blued

Votes: 42 35.9%
  • Stainless

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
All the above! If you have never looked at or held a origional blued Colt, you wouldn't really understand what an art blueing is, that dark, rich, deep blue that takes your breath away, plus, it's a Colt! I'm finding these days I much prefer a mix of finishes on my pistols, the first Colt 1911 2 tone started me down that dark path, and it came full circle with my Ruger Old Army, Blued and polished brass! My latest Kimber, a two tone stainless and Ceracoat in charcoal with black accents is quite stunning. And my brother has a burnt bronze and grey AR that really catches the eye! I used to be a hard core Blue guy, but I also see Stainless ( and alloys or exotics like titanium) to not only be quite useful and desirable, but also beautiful in their own right! :D

Shush, just be quiet, it's already hard enough to find Colts without you telling folks how good they are:s0140:

Last Edited:
All the above! If you have never looked at or held a origional blued Colt, you wouldn't really understand what an art blueing is, that dark, rich, deep blue that takes your breath away, plus, it's a Colt! I'm finding these days I much prefer a mix of finishes on my pistols, the first Colt 1911 2 tone started me down that dark path, and it came full circle with my Ruger Old Army, Blued and polished brass! My latest Kimber, a two tone stainless and Ceracoat in charcoal with black accents is quite stunning. And my brother has a burnt bronze and grey AR that really catches the eye! I used to be a hard core Blue guy, but I also see Stainless ( and alloys or exotics like titanium) to not only be quite useful and desirable, but also beautiful in their own right! :D
I think new blue is the most beautiful, but scratched or holster worn, ss is more beautiful. And a blue gun that is used will soon look uglier than an equally used ss gun. But for me, I stick with stainless. I can carry it and shoot it occasionally and clean it only occasionally or after a major shooting session. That would be abuse for a blue gun. For SS it's just taking advantage of it's low maintenance virtues. Some people love to clean their guns as much as they love to shoot them. For me, cleaning is just work...and after they invented ss revolvers, much of it unnecessary work.

I think new blue is the most beautiful, but scratched or holster worn, ss is more beautiful. And a blue gun that is used will soon look uglier than an equally used ss gun. But for me, I stick with stainless. I can carry it and shoot it occasionally and clean it only occasionally or after a major shooting session. That would be abuse for a blue gun. For SS it's just taking advantage of it's low maintenance virtues. Some people love to clean their guns as much as they love to shoot them. For me, cleaning is just work...and after they invented ss revolvers, much of it unnecessary work.

Just a point of view but that used look tells the gun was loved enough to be carried and enjoyed.

23FCC236-99DC-4D2F-97C9-C775670D02C6.jpeg
Shush, just be quiet, it's already hard enough to find Colts without you telling folks how good they are:s0140:
My new (to me) Python I bought last month. It is at my smith getting a little corrosion polished off the hammer and we will replace the grips with a set of checkered wood originals.

Stainless is not really a finish but a type of steel. (It can come polished, brushed or natural) Pure chrome is harder than stainless (stainless is an alloy of chrome and steel) modern alloys are very good and properly applied are adjusted to the use it is designed for (some harder and some softer) we use a lot of stainless in the marine industry but there are places traditional bronze is a better choice and still used. I don't know about the metal composition of the internals in my Smith stainless revolvers but the triggers are good and don't seem to Gaul and loose there quality over time like early moving parts made of stainless did. My nickle and electroless nickle Colts have better resistance to corrosion on surfaces but can be worn through with heavy use. (I have seen rusted stainless guns and parts)
Thanks. I knew that stainless is an alloy, not a finish. But I didn't realize chrome was harder than ss, and always wondered why in ss revolvers the trigger is chrome. I think with sw ss revovers all the internals are stainless too. Anybody know for sure? I know the triggers are often chrome and the sights blued.

Nickel and Zink phosphate are yet another treatment option for firearms parts, as well as the traditional exotics like Gold, Silver, Pewter, and each has its place and uses. While Nickel ( German silver) isn't used often any more, it used to be quite popular as trim and embellishments. Same with Gold and Silver, and Pewter was a great casting alloy for parts that didn't require strength or wear resistence! And Brass or copper, or even better bronze were highly sought after, again, for casting parts and trim! Have a look at some of the antique arms of @AndyinEverson collection, super fine examples of traditional gun makers craft and skill and art!

It's like a hunting rfle, fellow shows you his hunting rifle and it looks new the first thought is he doesn' hunt much. A new looking revolver kinda looks like he doesn't shoot that gun much.

I like the look of classics where almost no traces of the factory blue remain, my 1855 Colts, and my Winny 97s all have this very worn finish, and I think they look especially beautiful like that. I also have a Colt SXE blued that has so much holster wear, it looks like a WW2 relic, when in fact it was purc ases brand new in 1986!

Revolvers, how nostalgic...

For carry and related practice, most certainly stainless, simply for ease of maintenance and resistance to rust.

For range use and living in the safe, most certainly blues steel and wood. There's just something about the combination that stirs my souls a bit...

I may be wrong but in the old days I felt that since stainless is more difficult to machine, a blued steel gun would be of better quality. I did think that blued guns tended to have a better feel to their actions. Today quality has gone down to the point that it doesn't make any difference.

I may be wrong but in the old days I felt that since stainless is more difficult to machine, a blued steel gun would be of better quality. I did think that blued guns tended to have a better feel to their actions. Today quality has gone down to the point that it doesn't make any difference.

Standard gun barrel steels like 4140 CM are better materials than stainless in that they are harder and will have a longer life. The advantage of stainless steel, despite it's relative softness, is corrosion resistance. Like everything else in life seems you have to give something up to get something else.

Out of curiosity, do you prefer revolvers to be stainless or blued? And why?

Ive always been a stainless kind of guy but after talking more with my Dad about his revolvers, ive been leaning more towards the blued finishes, especially in those older Smith and Wessons. My first revolvers were blued and from Taurus and Ruger. After handling my Father's revolvers more ajd more, ive built an appreciation for blued revolvers recently.
For me it depends on it's role. For carry I prefer stainless strictly for the maintenance benefits. For a range gun or a "ain't it purdy" piece I prefer blue.

I prefer a blued finish...but there is nothing wrong with stainless either.
I also do not mind good , honest "holster wear" on a handgun...as long as the look is of use not abuse then I do not mind a gun showing its age or history...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top