JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you prefer your revolvers blued or stainless?

• Blued

Votes: 42 35.9%
  • Stainless

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fessing up... My EDC is a 4" stainless 629 I bought at the PX on Fort Richardson in the early 80's and had ported by a local gunsmith in Anchorage. Preparing for multiple flames...
Summer, winter, spring, or fall; 44 magn
There's nothing like good old-fashioned blue. It is beautiful -- when done right. Sadly, my hands tend to be a bit acidic, and they like eating finishes.

Some guitar players have a problem with so-called "sweaty" hands. They may need to change metal strings several times more often than most people. May even need to use coated strings too. Whether it's sweat, organic acids, skin oils, or some combo, apparently some people's hands eat up metal strings. I don't have this problem. But one thing I do to make my strings last longer is to wipe my hands with a paper towel saturated with rubbing alcohol before playing. Maybe doing that before handling fine blued revolvers would be worth the extra trouble if you have the metal-eating-hand superpower.

I like them all. In fact when it comes to guns just give me one or more of everything.

IMG_0407.JPG

PDWD , :s0140: a little snort doesn't bother your piks but blue with color case hardening is the ultimate beauty , the rest just looks like tin foil on a handgun. Ya don't know what beauty is if you pick stainless , stainless is on a toilet seat.:s0140:there are shooters and pooters and stainless is for pooters, you own these words gents, use em as you need to :s0140:

I like both , SS for hunting or carry and ease of maintenance . But blueing , especially like on a early Colt Python or similar looks amazing. And i really like the history they show from use and holster wear. Plus I don't always want a shiny consealed handgun.

I have had a variety of stainless and now only own one. A 1980's Smith and Wesson 686 4". I like having a weatherproof sidearm for outdoor pursuits. My all-time favorite handgun is my 1965 Smith and Wesson model 15. It came to me as a rust bucket about 10 years ago. I cleaned it inside and out. The blueing is still resilient after being scratched and pitted. I think the Colt Diamondback was the most elegant of wheel guns, at least if the peacemaker wasn't next to it.

For me it all depends on the revolver. I find both finishes beautiful if it's the right model. I have a Colt Lawman MKIII that has some of the deepest bluing I've seen on a revolver. That pistol would suck in SS-IMO. The Ruger Redhawk was born to be SS again IMO. So for me it depends on what it is.

Some guitar players have a problem with so-called "sweaty" hands. They may need to change metal strings several times more often than most people. May even need to use coated strings too. Whether it's sweat, organic acids, skin oils, or some combo, apparently some people's hands eat up metal strings. I don't have this problem. But one thing I do to make my strings last longer is to wipe my hands with a paper towel saturated with rubbing alcohol before playing. Maybe doing that before handling fine blued revolvers would be worth the extra trouble if you have the metal-eating-hand superpower.
Huh, rubbing alcohol -- may have to try that. Thanks!

IMO nothing beats a deep, pearly, satiny blue in any gun if it's done right and the metal is flawless.

However I can't seem to take care of a working gun well enough to avoid the pitfalls of our wet NW so most all the guns I shoot/carry much are stainless or coated.

I'm also one of those corrosive sweaters and if I didn't wipe my guitar strings off after EVERY time I played I was replacing them. My bridges would also start to pit after a while on my electrics. Any metal part of my glasses that touch my face end up losing their finish (don't wear metal anymore).

IMO nothing beats a deep, pearly, satiny blue in any gun if it's done right and the metal is flawless.

However I can't seem to take care of a working gun well enough to avoid the pitfalls of our wet NW so most all the guns I shoot/carry much are stainless or coated.

I'm also one of those corrosive sweaters and if I didn't wipe my guitar strings off after EVERY time I played I was replacing them. My bridges would also start to pit after a while on my electrics. Any metal part of my glasses that touch my face end up losing their finish (don't wear metal anymore).

Corrosive sweater... I was expecting something else. :)

My sweat isn't corrosive but my talk is...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top