JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you prefer your revolvers blued or stainless?

• Blued

Votes: 42 35.9%
  • Stainless

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Make mine Stainless Steel please 629-686-66-63-60-5906
5 revolvers 1 auto03122018.jpg

It all depends on the gun.
Most of my guns are "working guns" and stainless is the choice.

However, nothing compares to the bluing on an old Colt, S&W, Winchester, etc. Pair that with nice wood and nothing in the gun world drops my jaw nearly as quickly. Even the matte bluing that's been popular for a while looks fantastic when set in nice wood.

I once preferred blue, but the stainless is so pretty. I once sold a 1911 that was stainless and the gun shop said he could not give me much because
everyone hates stainless because of the light reflection. ;)

Last Edited:
Out of curiosity, do you prefer revolvers to be stainless or blued? And why?

Ive always been a stainless kind of guy but after talking more with my Dad about his revolvers, ive been leaning more towards the blued finishes, especially in those older Smith and Wessons. My first revolvers were blued and from Taurus and Ruger. After handling my Father's revolvers more ajd more, ive built an appreciation for blued revolvers recently.

I actually like them Nickel plated!:)

I love the look of the blued, Nickel and the stainless. I carry stainless when hunting as I end up crawling through dirt, trees and snow at times. I also carry concealed with stainless just because I feel it is more impervious to sweat when carrying an inside the belt holster. That said I think the Blue is a better looking finish with nice wood grips and I have no problem owning blue, but my first gun was blue and I carried it enough that it started wearing the bluing off and so my choice of going to stainless. Same goes for Nickel which is too soft to hold up when using it a lot. Don't have to worry with composite weapons, but so far I have none.

I have a conglomeration of finishes, at least four are aluminum so different than blue or stainless. My newest is a Stainless GP-100 22LR and as most people know rimfire's are just a little bit dirtier than centerfire's but way cleaner than those rotten black powder guns (I have two stainless black powder revolvers, so just kidding) but stainless is easier to clean and they show less wear. They may have as much wear, but it does not show as much. My Colt Frontier Scout 22LR started life as a Duo-Tone, it had blued steel cylinder and barrel along with a blued aluminum ejector shroud. The rest is Aluminum and all shows a lot of external wear, from the well worn holster. The Maple grip panels show a lot of character too, they replaced the black hard rubber ones long ago and the originals are gone.

Last Edited:
I prefer to have revolvers in the caliber and size I desire first, then the choices are pretty much made for you. As an example: S&W does not make a Blued 460V. S&W only offered the Model 632 when it first came out, in a Matte Black finish (Stainless however). Personally it doesn't matter to me, though I will admit, there are some darn nice looking blued finish revolvers out there. Don't care much for blued with black grips, but with nice wood, and shine to them; they are sharp!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top