JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you prefer your revolvers blued or stainless?

• Blued

Votes: 42 35.9%
  • Stainless

Votes: 68 58.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Out of curiosity, do you prefer revolvers to be stainless or blued? And why?

Ive always been a stainless kind of guy but after talking more with my Dad about his revolvers, ive been leaning more towards the blued finishes, especially in those older Smith and Wessons. My first revolvers were blued and from Taurus and Ruger. After handling my Father's revolvers more ajd more, ive built an appreciation for blued revolvers recently.

100% (3/3) voted for blued so far... nice.
When I was younger I liked stainless, but I don't think I could really appreciate what went into a good polished blue finish.
Now, even when I'm on the hunt for 3rd Gen S&W semiautos I use the -4 suffix...
DA, or SA, revolver or semiauto, blued is beautiful.

I own both. Blued is much nicer to look at, but stainless is much more care free. I carry stainless nearly exclusively.

On stainless semi autos, it is quite common to give the stainless a blackening treatment that is quite tough. I've often wondered why stainless revolvers are not offered this same treatment.

Blued is pretty but I am too practical I like stainless. I bought one
of the first 629 44 revolvers available. I paid too much for it.:oops: It
was hard to find and the 29s and 629s were going for scalper prices.:eek:

While I can get lost looking at a nice deep blued gun, the ease of stainless is just too nice to pass up. I have seen too many blued guns with rust spots. Any blemish on a stainless gun is easy to remedied on the user's end.

I have owned....and own them in all flavors. My favorite is electroless nickle. Colt resisted making stainless guns for a couple of decades because they didn't like the way the metal Gauls when moving parts rub together. I still don't have any stainless 1911's but my 629 is nearly a flawless revolver just a notch under my Python's. I have never shot or really handled a Stainless Python. Not sure they can retain the same quality fit as with forged steel. The Smiths don't have the quality fit in either blued steel or stainless and never had even though they are adaquate to make a good shooter.

Cerakoted
I was in my gunsmiths shop a couple of weeks ago.....he was cussing a revolver (Ruger) that was on his bench......the guy had sent it somewhere to be Creacoted, nothing fit when it came back. The coating is so thick the revolver froze after 3 rounds. He was hand filing and polishing every part so they would fit and allow it to work again. He thought it would take him 4 hrs total.....400.00 in labor. I have seen similar issues with various coatings in other industries. Thick coatings applied after the original manufacturers fit can be a real problem.

Last Edited:
I mean, who could not love this....

245199-5bb340213c958ed7a00b9aaf9a863f36.jpg

Unfortunately I had to sell it when I needed some extra $$, but I do hope to get it again some day.

While I do own a couple of Stainless Steel revolvers; I much prefer the Blued Guns I own. I'm Not to lazy to clean any Firearm so Blued has and always will be my First choice for a firearm.:):):)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top