JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never had a problem loading XTP's or the RNFP's in the past so I never really thought seating depth would be the problem with these bullets.
But hey, I learned something today and I will continue learning.
Montana Gold bullets have an extra long bearing surface. I discovered that when I started loading 115gr MG for Wifey's Kimber Pro Aegis about nine years ago. I currently load three different OALs in 9mm. I adjust the powder weight down some accordingly, just to stay on the safe side.

I had a similar issue a few years back. Round nose and hollow points no problem. Then I loaded some lead semi wadcutter 122gr bullets and got a lot more recoil than expected. They plunked fine in the beretta 92F (which at the time was my gauge). When I shot them out of the Walther PPQ however they kicked way harder than they should. Come to find out the shoulder of the wadcutter portion was jammed into the lands in the Walther where the beretta had no issue.

Had to go back and re-seat about 200 cartridges before I felt safe. Only had to go about .010" - .020" more but it was enough to make the difference.

Only had to go about .010" - .020" more but it was enough to make the difference.
Yes it is! That is the kind of thing I try to point out to new loaders. The data in the reloading manuals is not some rule, or law, it's simply the results they got from different combinations of components that fell within safe margins.

I had a similar issue a few years back. Round nose and hollow points no problem. Then I loaded some lead semi wadcutter 122gr bullets and got a lot more recoil than expected. They plunked fine in the beretta 92F (which at the time was my gauge). When I shot them out of the Walther PPQ however they kicked way harder than they should. Come to find out the shoulder of the wadcutter portion was jammed into the lands in the Walther where the beretta had no issue.

Had to go back and re-seat about 200 cartridges before I felt safe. Only had to go about .010" - .020" more but it was enough to make the difference.
I've totally had that fit issue between two different chambers of same caliber. Recently in fact. I'm learning to check my dummies in both guns and then plunk several finished rounds. I haven't had that problem with my revolvers but that makes sense, since they headspace completely different than an auto loader. I've been looking for a 9 mm load that will work in both my Walther and my Ruger pc9. Surprisingly the Ruger chamber is tighter. I had to redo an entire work up because I checked everything in the Walther but not the Ruger :p . I'm old enough to know bettero_O.

Of all my 9mm pistols my CZs have the shortest leades, followed closely by my Sigs. So if a round plunks in the CZs it plunks in all the others.

That is probably one of the reasons my CZs are the most accurate of my 9mm pistols, again closely followed by Sigs.

Last Edited:
Of all my 9mm pistols my CZs have the shortest leades, followed closely by my Sigs. So if a round plunks in the CZs it plunks in all the others.

That is probably one of the reasons my CZs are the most accurate of my 9mm pistols, again closely followed by Sigs.
I have discovered the same thing. Seems like any bullet can be loaded around 1.125 if it was for my Glock 19. When I got my CZ P-09, none of the "fatter" bullets (RMR MPR or Matchwinner) would plunk at that length. Those rounder profiles needed to be around 1.065" to plunk and spin in the CZ barrel. So I don't dare load to some of the more aggressive charges listed in some manuals (Speer), since they show the longer, more conventional C.O.A.L.due to the potential additional pressure from the deeper seated bullet.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top