JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So after reading about the four bills that passed the Oregon Judiciary Committee I would find out who my District 12 senator is (Brian Boquist) and I sent my first email. This is the reply I just received:

Subject: RE: Asking for your support of 'NO' on the following bills....
Date: April 18, 2013 12:30:26 PM PDT
To: [email protected]

Thank you for your email regarding “gun control.” I use this term loosely because I personal believe it is using both hands while shooting. We have received several emails on this topic. I assure you with three people in this office holding concealed weapon permits and avid shooters we look at every gun bill very closely.

Senator Boquist has submitted several amendments to a large percent of the gun related bills and we impatiently wait to see how they fair in committee.

-Ashten Rich-
Legislative Assistant to
Senator Brian Boquist (R)
900 Court Street NE , S- 305
Salem, Oregon 97301
503-986-1712
[email protected]

An answer to my letter, from Betsy Close:
"rocky3

From Senator Betsy Close, in answer to my letter.

Today 4 gun bills, SB 347, SB 699, SB 700, and SB 796 were voted on in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I voted no.

Thank you so much for your input on these issues. I received over 3000 emails in opposition to these gun bills. There were hundreds in favor. A majority of constituent emails from my district were opposed to these bills. In my opinion, the bills target law-abiding citizens.

I am looking forward following to the progress for school districts, working on their own security issues on the local level. Unfortunately, these bills will not deal with these dangerous problems or help prevent tragedies like the Sandy Hook school shooting or the Clackamas Town Center shooting. I will be focusing on enforcing laws that are currently in place, such as our current background-check laws. We in the legislature continue to work toward strengthening our mental health state and community programs. We passed a bill out of the Senate Judiciary committee today, SB 421 A. The bill deals with identifying and committing dangerous, mentally ill persons.

Again thanks for writing!"

Senator Betsy Close
Oregon District 8

Senator Boquin's office really should proof read their form letters. I got that same email in Jan and wrote them back about how poorly it was written. Apparently Mr. Rich likes to look like an uneducated moron.

An answer to my letter, from Betsy Close:
"rocky3

From Senator Betsy Close, in answer to my letter.

Today 4 gun bills, SB 347, SB 699, SB 700, and SB 796 were voted on in the Senate Judiciary Committee. I voted no.

Thank you so much for your input on these issues. I received over 3000 emails in opposition to these gun bills. There were hundreds in favor. A majority of constituent emails from my district were opposed to these bills. In my opinion, the bills target law-abiding citizens.

I am looking forward following to the progress for school districts, working on their own security issues on the local level. Unfortunately, these bills will not deal with these dangerous problems or help prevent tragedies like the Sandy Hook school shooting or the Clackamas Town Center shooting. I will be focusing on enforcing laws that are currently in place, such as our current background-check laws. We in the legislature continue to work toward strengthening our mental health state and community programs. We passed a bill out of the Senate Judiciary committee today, SB 421 A. The bill deals with identifying and committing dangerous, mentally ill persons.

Again thanks for writing!"

Senator Betsy Close
Oregon District 8

I recieved the same response.

Boquist is my Senator too, this is the reply I received to my e-mail yesterday:

Modeler,

Thank you for your email regarding the gun bills that came out of the Senate Judiciary. I will file your email in the appropriate bill folders for the Senator’s review. We are still waiting to see what bills will be scheduled to come to the floor for a vote.

-Ashten Rich-
Legislative Assistant to
Senator Brian Boquist (R)
900 Court Street NE , S- 305
Salem, Oregon 97301
503-986-1712
[email protected]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR