JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Andy is going to rap our fingers with a yard stick like the old school marm he is............but only one state has the right to succeed....and that would be Texas. The highest quality firearms of the war were Remington Zouave rifles and 1858 handguns.
Nah, the Whitworth rifle. The rifle that let a confederate make the 1,200 yard shot.

My Remington
870 Wingmaster , from 1962...
Model 33 .22 rifle from 1933...
Sporter 1917 rifle , from 1918...
And NEF Pardner from 2015 or thereabouts....( Remington buyout era )
Are all going strong and work well.

They were indeed at one time a excellent gunmaker... I hope that someday soon , they get back to that status.
Andy

My Remington
870 Wingmaster , from 1962...
Model 33 .22 rifle from 1933...
Sporter 1917 rifle , from 1918...
And NEF Pardner from 2015 or thereabouts....( Remington buyout era )
Are all going strong and work well.

They were indeed at one time a excellent gunmaker... I hope that someday soon , they get back to that status.
Andy

Agreed. Too many companies wanted "investors" to pour tons of money into their companies. Promised those "investors" all sorts of things to get more and more of their money. Meanwhile the owner(s) just smiled all the way to the bank with tons of other peoples' money.

The "investors" being just that - INVESTORS. They start making phone calls and sitting in on board meetings wanting what was promised. Then greed starts to take over and they want more and more.

So the very companies that used to make quality now just make stuff to shove out the door into the market and hope that the masses buy it based on name. If they have a 70-80% successful product (one that isn't garbage because of QC) they are happy.

Too many products have gone downhill trying to please "investors". Which is usually the beginning of the end of the company.

Some companies realize this and do something about it. Others just ride on their names and hope for the best.

Last Edited:
Nah, the Whitworth rifle. The rifle that let a confederate make the 1,200 yard shot.
My German Black powder world champion buddy has hundreds of guns from the period........the best to him was the Zouave. He won the world championship with one and he owns probably over 300 orignal match black powder target rifles from every country that produced them.

They were indeed at one time a excellent gunmaker...
They were. Then a corporation got involved that said F quality and pushed for numbers. I don't hate Remington, I hate what the corporation did to Remington. I WANT Remington to be good again.
My German Black powder world champion buddy has hundreds of guns from the period........the best to him was the Zouave. He won the world championship with one and he owns probably over 300 orignal match black powder target rifles from every country that produced them.
I doubt he had a Whitworth rifle. Those things are well north of 100 grand. It wasn't common, but a confederate soldier would dump what he got just for a Whitworth.

They were. Then a corporation got involved that said F quality and pushed for numbers. I don't hate Remington, I hate what the corporation did to Remington. I WANT Remington to be good again.

I doubt he had a Whitworth rifle. Those things are well north of 100 grand. It wasn't common, but a confederate soldier would dump what he got just for a Whitworth.
He indeed did.......several as I remember even had very high quality English and German rifles. His name is Manfred Kroshael if you want to look him up. He owned the Ford dealership in Whitlitch. Every wall in his good size house was lined from top to bottom with antique firearms. The best stuff, he kept in a room with a vault door. He had several of the belt buckle guns used by Hitler's guard, Several of the 2 digit serial number Bouchart pistols, and ,ore Lugers than you can imagine.......but his favorite was civil war American rifles. I helped him import several into Germany. He had the largest collection of firearms owned by Kaiser Wilhelm in the world.

Last Edited:
He indeed did.......several as I remember even had very high quality English and German rifles. His name is Manfred Kroshael if you want to look him up. He owned the Ford dealership in Whitlitch. Every wall in his good size house was lined from top to bottom with antique firearms. The best stuff, he kept in a room with a vault door. He had several of the belt buckle guns used by Hitler's guard, Several of the 2 digit serial number Bouchart pistols, and ,ore Lugers than you can imagine.......but his favorite was civil war American rifles. I helped him import several into Germany. He had the largest collection of firearms owned by Kaiser Wilhelm in the world.
Lucky bastard... I want a Whitworth rifle and a Fayetteville rifle.

In my short life it appears that Remington has done 2 things well, shotguns and bolt actions.

It seems they spent a lot of money in development and production on other products that flopped, it also seems that the market has changed.

If you poll gun owners, most who own a Remington shotgun probably only one 1, maybe 2, compare them to AR's and a person easily owns several. Similar with bolt action rifles. Maybe 1 or 2 and even at that, innovation and technology and competition from other manufacturers has left Remington trailing, countless videos of long range rifle builds for under $1000 including scopes on YouTube show that dropping $800 on a Remington 700 isn't a mandatory route like it used to be.

I don't wish I'll on any company that helps the 2nd amendment, but when you start taking a turn downhill, changes are necessary to be made.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top