JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Florida, the state where Nature still Selects.

On the University of Florida campus in between the main campus and the Ag School is a little lake, Lake Alice. There's a sign saying "No Swimming." But its right there on campus, with 50,000 students, and there is no police presence near the lake. And its very hot in summer. So how many students per day go swimming in the lake?

Actually, none. Not since a kid went swimming there decades ago, and all that was ever found was one arm.

Hey, you can say what you will about Flor-i-duh . . . but there is lots of stupid out there, everywhere !!! We have well over our fair share just here in the PNW.

And frankly speaking, there is a whole list of states that sit way above Florida on the list of "You don't want to live there" places.

That low-key style of imparting critical info--"I wouldn't put your hands in there" reminds me of a joke told about the same style among people in Maine.

Tourist pulls up to small two-pump gas station in the back country of Maine, gets out of his car with cigarette sticking out of the corner of his mouth, and starts pumping his gas. Old-timer owner ambles over a little closer but not too close and observes, as if commenting on the weather, "Ya know, a lotta fellers wouldn't smoke while pumping gas."

That low-key style of imparting critical info--"I wouldn't put your hands in there" reminds me of a joke told about the same style among people in Maine.

Tourist pulls up to small two-pump gas station in the back country of Maine, gets out of his car with cigarette sticking out of the corner of his mouth, and starts pumping his gas. Old-timer owner ambles over a little closer but not too close and observes, as if commenting on the weather, "Ya know, a lotta fellers wouldn't smoke while pumping gas."
Right up there with "Hey Y'all, hold my beer and watch this"...:eek:

Damn..!.

So you're not only an expert on Florida but a stone cold authority on New York and Jersey as well.
And apparently top men in Gubment come to you for enlightenment when confused about east coast water quality.

Do tell...!
Bless your heart.

Don't take offense. Please don't.
Honest, I'm just kidding around.
It's an east coast thing..and I've been marooned out here on the western wilderness frontier for 50+ years without a decent slice....and who do I have to kill to get a good corned beef sandwich?

Forgettaboutit....
That's "Bless your heart, honey."

And I'll have my ham and eggs with.. And if someone says ,"With what?" the traditional response is "Grits, you Damyankee!" And put some red-eye gravy on my grits too.

And its amazing how rich and complex and spectacular orange juice can taste...but only if it is fresh-squeezed from Florida oranges squeezed and sold at a stand right in front of the orange grove.

And I haven't had a peach that tastes like a peach anywhere except in Georgia.

OldBroad44...You're Ok.

In Daytona I had access to a brand of Indian River Grapefruit Juice that is spectacular.......I miss it so much....and the Starlite Diner in Daytona...and Hamptons for broasted chicken....and fresh fish and lobster dinners to die for.....and the Cheesy Cheese popcorn at Kernel Poppers in St Augustine...and fish are actually easy to catch.....and the ocean doesn't try to kill you....and on and on......not to mention the cougar problem......

I miss the house in Ormond dearly.

You folks are too hard on Florida.....What's all this about snakes in Florida?....Look at the snakes Oregonians elect to represent them on local, state and federal levels...........People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Last Edited:
@OldBroad44, You forgot pulled pork with vinegar and brunswick stew !!! Oh yeah, and quick sober up breakfast at Waffle House.
Catfish fries and hush puppies.

There's also a mess o greens with lunch or dinner. The greens are cooked turnip greens with bacon and vinegar dressing. Ya make dressing by frying up bacon. Then to the bacon and bacon fat add vinegar, water, and pepper to taste. Pour hot dressing over greens.

Key lime pie.

A favorite desert is pecan pie. Pronounced peekan, accent on the first syllable. If you say puhcahn and put accent on the second syllable you're a damyankee.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top