JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How do you get that price? I'm stuck at 3.5 to 4c.

Grafts was selling Fiocchi SPP in cases of 12k at 2.4 cents each. (Free shipping and hazmat). :) They come in cool little wood crates. I may have bought "a random amount" ;)

the term "stack em deep why they are cheep" is key. I can forgo niceties like bath soap and TP to spend on primers when they are cheep. :confused::cool:

Grafts was selling Fiocchi SPP in cases of 12k at 2.4 cents each. (Free shipping and hazmat). :) They come in cool little wood crates. I may have bought "a random amount" ;)

the term "stack em deep why they are cheep" is key. I can forgo niceties like bath soap and TP to spend on primers when they are cheep. :confused::cool:

Sweet deal. As I understand it though, I can't own over 10k at a time here in WA. :(

Yeah, the "straight walled" cases (9mm is not truly straight walled but close enough) are really easy to do on a Dillon. I haven't heard any one in competitive shooting that does not own one even in normal times. Once you get it set up, it's easy to crank out the pistol rounds, and really cheap doing so. I select Unique powder for safety, since it take more powder (more powder ~ less variance per measure of powder), but nonetheless, it's 4.x grains of powder per round, that's 7000/4.5=1555 rounds per pound of powder.

That is $4.75 a box of 50 at a time the same commercial made (115 FMJ) are selling for $25 per box. I am liking that over 5x in cost savings.
That's truly impressive.
@Helocat, when you consider that your loading process is almost fully automated, the labor factor is minimized. As I see it, you are one of the few on this board who can stand up and say, "suck it, Felicia." :D

I get some primers online from Powder Valley, buy some rounds at the gun show, get some powder locally and I can reload with a single stage!

Not lately you don't! ;)

If I'm wrong shoot me a pm how/where and I'll load up on primers and sell them at scalping prices and earn a fortune and be able to fully retire. :s0140: All because of "Reloading"!

Not lately you don't! ;)

If I'm wrong shoot me a pm how/where and I'll load up on primers and sell them at scalping prices and earn a fortune and be able to fully retire. :s0140: All because of "Reloading"!

That's truly the funny thing about this discussion.

Primers, the known "crimp" to the reloading algorithm, are remarkably inexpensive & incredibly easy to store during "normalcy".

As in 10,000 primers take up just about the same footprint of a case (1,000) of manufactured 9mm. Cost averaged about $240. Some less if bought with some looking around, or via classifieds.

Similar with powders, the next "crimp" to reloading.

So while I stocked up on manufactured ammunition while it was inexpensive, I also stocked up on components. Because we enjoy shooting, and there will always be blights.

The manufactured ammunition I put back cheap is simply to bridge that gap. Where replacement costs of such are now outweighed by maintaining our stock via home rolled, using components put back.

Everyone's decision on wether to reload (or not), when or why are going to differ.

Just as everyone's decision on what to stock up on (or not), why, and how much.

I maintain (for myself) reloading is an extension of my interest in shooting and allows me to create loads I could never buy. This is what originally influenced me to reload. Cost , 'economics', fear of the unknown, 'prepping' were never influencing factors. My love and enjoyment of shooting was the impetus.

How does any of this differ from say, ones interest in classic or antique cars or motorcycles and restores one or more himself (like I have?)

I realize some are mechanically deficient (I know a few) and really don't know which end of the screwdriver goes in the slot and I get that. Reloading (like anything mechanical) may not be for these types and that's ok but there are a LOT of us who have both 'marketable skills' AND are very mechanically inclined (some are combined) and simply are very independent and try to do as much as they can for themselves.

This quite frankly is an admirable quality I personally respect in others as well as those who I help out with MY skills respect mine.

Last Edited:

Primers, the known "crimp" to the reloading algorithm, are remarkably inexpensive & incredibly easy to store during "normalcy".

As in 10,000 primers take up just about the same footprint of a case (1,000) of manufactured 9mm. Cost averaged about $240. Some less if bought with some looking around, or via classifieds.

So while I stocked up on manufactured ammunition while it was inexpensive, I also stocked up on components. Because we enjoy shooting, and there will always be blights.

The manufactured ammunition I put back cheap is simply to bridge that gap. Where replacement costs of such are now outweighed by maintaining our stock via home rolled, using components put back.

Everyone's decision on wether to reload (or not), when or why are going to differ.

I never really lost the urge to check for primers and powder every time I was near/in BiMart, fisherman's and Sportsman's warehouse. I have a load of components, a load for me anyway. I'm sure what I have is minuscule compared to some of you guys that REALLY stock pile! But I'll tell you what, I'm afraid of what I might end up with if/when things come back at decent prices! Just a couple days ago I was considering purchasing a bunch of handgun powder just to sell at very near cost to board members.

Sweet deal. As I understand it though, I can't own over 10k at a time here in WA. :(

Own or store in the same place? 10k of primers fit in some small spots.

That's truly impressive.
@Helocat, when you consider that your loading process is almost fully automated, the labor factor is minimized. As I see it, you are one of the few on this board who can stand up and say, "suck it, Felicia." :D

hehe that's funny. There are a few local learkers I know of on the board with Mark7 automated systems, USPSA shooters. I am still working on an automated washing machine type thing to rinse and separate stainless chips from washed brass. That's one step of the process that just takes time. (of course, a press is rocking away at 1800RPM why I am sifting chips) Everything I have drawn up quickly becomes a beast that will require 220v 3Ph power. For now its two franklin tumblers and 2 5gallon buckets. But keep eyeballing one of these systems that run a continuous flow of cleaner. Really not that big footprint wise for shop space.

Debur.jpg

Primers are and always have been the Achilles heel of reloading. But as you pointed out you have learned that from previous shortages and yes they don't take up a lot of space

Federal excepted of course -- 10,000 of those takes a spare room almost.

Sheesh What was Federal thinking! I hate those boxes, the top of the Dillon RF100 primer tube filler is made to exactly fit those fed. boxes, with little room for error. Easy to dump a row to the side. :eek:. That's blasphemy these days.

I was lucky, for Christmas back in 1967 the guys that worked for my grandfather had bought him an entire RCBS reloading set for the Winchester model 70 .338 Win Mag they had bought him the year before. When he got the rifle there was a threat that ammo wasn't going to be available (some things never change) due to the Vietnam war starting up, so he went out and bought about 60 boxes of ammo. So he never had a reason to even open the reloading stuff. In 1982 when I inherited the .338 my dad got all the reloading stuff. It didn't interest him at all, but I was all over it. The boxes, bullets, powder, primers and all had never even been opened.

I have of course added through the years all the additional dies for every cartridge that I shoot. All that said, I have been saving money for years, especially when you figure in equal for premium ammo. In addition, I love reloading! I find it relaxing and challenging to try and wring out the best of my firearms.

I'll quit being the rambling old guy now!

I love reloading! I find it relaxing and challenging to try and wring out the best of my firearms.
DING! DING! DING! - Winner!!

See this?

You can't buy this round no matter the 'economics' or math - 93 grain .30 cal Mauser bullet in .30-30 with 10 grains of Unique - Deadly accurate to 125 yards - .22 level noise and recoil!

IMG_1803.JPG

Last Edited:
... In addition, I love reloading! I find it relaxing and challenging to try and wring out the best of my firearms. ...

Same. In fact I have a sneaking suspicion it's the reloading I like more. I recently started loading shotshells and in the two months I spent learning how and developing a load, I really got into shooting my shotgun which previously had only been fired on rare occasions at grouse -- I never took it out just for fun. Now I'm itching for the public lands to open up again for target shooting so I can take it out and play with it, but I would never have gotten that itch if hadn't first made ammo for it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top