JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
To stop powder cling to the drop tube on your dispenser or the pan on your scale, rub either one briskly with a dryer sheet to de-magnetize them.

Years ago I lived in Utah, the winter air was so dry that static was an issue everywhere. Even with a humidifier hooked to the HVAC system you pretty much always got a shock walking across carpet. I actually grounded my powder measure to reduce static and eliminating sticking.

I took an old power cord, capped off the hot and neutral wires with wire nuts and ample covering of electrical tape (as you would not want a spark here) and attached the ground wire to the measure. It looks kid of funny "plugging in" a powder measure but it really helped.

Mount a small shelf on the wall at eyeball level right above your loading press. Put your balance beam scale on it. You will get an accurate read on the hash marks, and near the wall, it is not affected by air currents. You can also ensure the shelf is clean from drill press/sander/saw/grinder grit by wiping it down before you set the scale down. Just make sure nothing else gets stored there. To aid old tiring eyes I hot glued a large magnifying glass, stripped from an old slide viewer to a piece of wood and placed it in front of the "zero" marks on the scale.

... ensure the shelf is clean from drill press/sander/saw/grinder grit by wiping it down before you set the scale down.

Eye level really makes a difference on your back and the level of accuracy when reading the scale. If you put a hinge on the shelf and keep it down when not in use it does not collect dirt and is safer from bumps etc. that could cause damage.

... I hot glued a large magnifying glass … placed it in front of the "zero" marks on the scale.
Super idea, even if you don't have aging eye issues! This would increase accuracy and the speed it takes to read the scale. Anything to increase these is a good idea!

You can use plastic .40 S&W / 10mm ammo box trays to sort 9mm from .380 Auto. Put the tray in the bottom of a small box or bin. Scoop up your mixed brass, I use both hands, and pour the brass over the tray. Wiggle, shake and pour a few times and most of the holes in the tray will fill with brass, base down.

Then it's an easy thing to see the shorter .380 ACP cases, which I pull out with a pair of forceps. Quick and easy and you don't have that short case sneaking into your reloading work flow.

Take a large diameter drinking straw (McDonald's works best for me...the thin ones don't hold against the walls of the groove). Cut it and insert it into the repriming groove of the ram making sure the top of the plastic straw is below the shell holder. It should be about 1/2"-3/4" shorter than the ram groove total length. When depriming, it adds some resistance to the walls and the primers will drop neatly into the depriming plastic catch cup.

Someone have a photo of this tip?!

Use the HF 18 in. Magnetic Tool Holder to hold commonly used tools at your reloading bench files can be a little problematic)

If you enjoy playing with the grandkids and squib loads as I do, you might have been annoyed at the RCBS "Little Dandy" powder measure if it doesn't happen to throw exactly the charge you want - again, like me. But there's a way to deal with it very easily. Pick out a rotor that's a bit larger than what you want, and dry out the powder cavity with some lighter fluid. Then mix up some five-minute epoxy and pour in enough to cover the bottom of the cavity and a little more for insurance. Let it harden, and see how much it throws. (should be less than you want.) Then take a drill bit that's close in diameter, and rotate it by hand to remove a little of the cured epoxy. Check the amount dispensed again. If you overshoot, just add a little more epoxy. Repeat as necessary to get it right. Then use a scribe or punch to mark the end so you won't accidentally use it by mistake.
Another Dandy rotor tip: They fit perfectly in plastic 12 gauge shotgun shell boxes for storage

For checking light charges of fast powders in bottleneck cases, go to Wally World and pick up a tire gauge with a square reader stem. Remove reader stem and drop it into charged cases. Light charges, heavy charges, and double charges show up instantly. Infinitely better than a flashlight.

Foot controlled case trimmer, use a motor and foot pedal from a sewing machine that I bought for $10 at a thrift store to make a powered case trimmer.

Snot sucker
Those snot suckers, AKA nasal irrigator thingies, they sell in the baby departments work great to blow those flakes of powder that you can't get to, out of the recesses of your press.

I use a homebrew case lube which I've never had a stuck case. 8 parts (red Bottle) Iso-heet to 1 part liquid Lanolin (many use 10-1 mix). Apply with a small spray bottle. (I mix up the whole batch in the iso-heat bottle and leave it on the shelf for refills) (you can adjust the mixture to taste) Some people like to spray a Ziplock bag drop in the cases and shake or lay out the cartridges in a row on a tow designated for this task- spry one side turn/roll the ½ -spry the other side then roll then to even the coating or I got a small and large plastic bottle ¼ full of cut-up sponges, I spray the sponges, drop in the brass and shake. Need to find what works best for you

Clear labels help - I am definitely not as cautious as seemingly others have recommended, but having things clearly labeled, helps.

The other recommendation, and this works for reloading, but is also very relevant for life in general. "When in doubt, pull it out"

If you suspect something isn't right with a load, pull it.

Edit: Also - Royal case lube is the best. Lay a bunch of cases on a large tupperware lid, spray - done.

Set Screw tip: when using set screws that I use on all my die lock rings, etc. Put a single piece of lead shot under the set screw. It will mash down and hold things very secure, while also saving the threads of the screw you are trying to set.
OR get brass set screws OR get nylon tipped setscrews

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top