JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been interested in what lifestyles, habits, diets, etc are practiced by those who make it to or close to 100 years of age. It doesn't appear that they spend a bunch of time in the gym, eat carnivore diets or make tons of money. I suspect genes play a big role but there must be environmental factors as well.

If you or somebody you know has reach their mid 90s plus, what do they attribute it to?

Every once in awhile a new story will pop up about a little old lady who turned 105 who swears something like a daily can of Dr Pepper and a pack of Pall Malls is the key to a long life. That the type of advice I'll continue to follow.

You might find this of some interest.

Then of course, check to see if they are still alive.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......

Last Edited:
I have been interested in what lifestyles, habits, diets, etc are practiced by those who make it to or close to 100 years of age. It doesn't appear that they spend a bunch of time in the gym, eat carnivore diets or make tons of money. I suspect genes play a big role but there must be environmental factors as well.

If you or somebody you know has reach their mid 90s plus, what do they attribute it to?
FWIW - I used to know a man who was 100 years old. He had been a school teacher, for his entire career. He told me the secret to longevity was to "learn to use machines". He said that throughout his life he noticed those people who stopped keeping up with technology died prematurely.

I also remember reading a Scandinavian study of centenarians done in the 1990s. Like a 1/3 of the study participants were smokers. The study concluded the number one determinant of longevity was genetics.

My wife's grandma passed in her late 90s and regularly enjoyed a couple fingers of whiskey. She ate all sorts of food. I believe she lived a long time because she didn't take sh* from people and was good at foisting her will on others. She also had a strong marriage for over 60 years.

Don't know how to live to 100+ years. But, having turned 80 this year and coming from a family where triple digits isn't unusual on either side of the family I can tell you what's taken me this far...

First, I think genetics plays a huge roll. When my daughter was in college, she knew a geneticist that was doing a longevity study and asked if I'd be willing to participate. I said "sure" and embarked on a grueling regimen of documentation on my health history as well as that of my family as far back as we could trace it. Then came all of the physical and cognitive tests as well as genetic sampling. The end result was they discovered that my telomeres were a little over 30% longer than what would be considered "normal" for my age and sex. My daughter was also a participant in the study and had similar results.

Second, I think that leading a healthy lifestyle also plays a huge roll. I typically take in well north of 3000 calories a day to maintain my body weight. I'm 5'9" tall, weigh 190, small boned, heavily muscled, and have very little body fat. I do hard physical labor daily and eat exclusively what we produce on the ranch. No fast food, no candy, no soda pop, no processed foods. I should be the poster codger for the "diet and exercise" crowd.
Blood work always comes back A-Ok. Doc says I'm healthier than most 30 year old men he knows.

So, in a nutshell, it's all about what God gave you and how you use or abuse it.

Don't forget to carb load...constantly.
Actually....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews