JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All things considered (and years of loading .45 ACP) I have found Bullseye to be my preferred powder over many others I have tried.

My last 'test' I Loaded some with Titegroup and Bullseye and did a 'side by side' and the Bullseye loads were more accurate, softer recoil and deposited the brass in a smaller area that the Titegroup loaded rounds.

Also many years ago when I was using Laser Cast bullets the absolute most accurate .45 loads I have ever shot were using the 200 grain LC SWC and 4.2 grains of Bullseye.

The purpose of your loads will drive powder selection to some degree. Unique is a very old, very time tested, very relaible powder, with the flexibility to use in many pistol and revolver cartridges. Bullseye is a classic, but so little is needed that one must be vigilant for double charges. Accurate #7 is excellent for defense loads. These are all old-timer powders now and many newer propellants have been introduced. Try the newer ones, but these are well-proved powders.

Unique is a very old, very time tested, very relaible powder, with the flexibility to use in many pistol and revolver cartridges.
Unique is a great powder and I use a lot of it however one of it's known issues is at about 5 grains or less it becomes inconsistent and does not often burn completely and leaves unburned flakes. Also in lower charges it does not seem to expand cases upon firing and results in dirty blow by and blackened cases

There is data for loading it up to 8 grains for some .45 loads but I have found 7 grains to be pretty hot and real snappy. Not dangerous by any means but just getting 'up there'

I have found it to be more practical in longer, straight walled cases like .357 & larger.

Power Pistol, HS-6, Bullseye, and Unique. I have done standard 230 grain hard ball loads with all of these powders and really like HS-6 and Power Pistol.

4.5 grains titegroup behind a 200 grain lswc was my jam for 1911s back when I shot and owned 1911s.

Unique is a great powder and I use a lot of it however one of it's known issues is at about 5 grains or less it becomes inconsistent and does not often burn completely and leaves unburned flakes. Also in lower charges it does not seem to expand cases upon firing and results in dirty blow by and blackened cases

There is data for loading it up to 8 grains for some .45 loads but I have found 7 grains to be pretty hot and real snappy. Not dangerous by any means but just getting 'up there'

I have found it to be more practical in longer, straight walled cases like .357 & larger.
I never loaded as few as 5 grains. I have heard of many 8.0-8.5 loads. Amazing that Unique debuted in 1912. Back in the 70s, I fired Detonics prototype #4 with 230 hardball over 9.0 Unique. But, the gun was being shot by Sid Woodcock, Detonics president, who was testing a front sight attachment method for durability. He very kindly offered me a few rounds through it and I readily agreed. Very snappy, but not uncontrollable. And the front sight, mounted with a single 4-40 socket head screw, stayed put.

For most all revolver loads, .357 and up, I love H110 and W296.

I thought I once read it was 1899 but I could have been mistaken.

Man, 9 grains would be pretty snappy in a .45 no doubt. Heck I am loading .30-30 with 9 grains and 135 grain lead bullets.
I thought it was 1903, or even the late 1800s, but there were changes of ownership and the rights to develop and market the powder. 1912 is the latest date I have heard. Still, very appropriate for use in a 1911 pistol.

My own preference is 5.4-5.7 gr. of W231 with both Berry's 230 gr. or any 230 gr. jacketed round. Shoots well in both steel guns and polymer guns.

Ditto fstdraw but with HP38 (w231) and Xtremes. I pump it up some for the XTP's. Started with Unique but had to scale each round which was a PITA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top