JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing special for the dies to load 357 for a carbine. I'd make sure the sizer has a carbide ring (same advice for all straight wall pistol cartridges) and pick the brand with features you like. I personally use Dillon dies mostly for loading pistol rounds, including 357 for both handguns and rifles, but also have a toolhead for the Dillon 550 press that has a RCBS carbide die set that I leave set up for 38 wad cutters.

You may want to try and use projectiles with a crimp groove, and crimp at that length if you have any issues with bullet setback due to the tube magazine. I haven't had problems myself, but I don't usually load the magazine up very full.

Straight walled pistol cartridges.....
I use my regular (off the shelf) three die sets that I've been using for years. I always buy the set with the CARBIDE sizer. RCBS or LEE. Both brands have served me well.

You might have to play with the COAL and various bullet designs a bit before everything is good with the world.

Aloha, Mark

I like RCBS and Hornady dies.
They will all work in a handgun or rifle.
Make up ladder loads snd see what the rifle likes.
As with evert other caliber, if it is lead or has a canlure use a roll crimp.
If using full metal jacket or plated bullets with
no canlure use a taper crimp.

I crimp everything I load for.

A rifle with a tube magazine is recommended to roll crimp the rounds. I played with H-110 and didn't care to shoot full power .357Mag. H-110s characteristics call for good case fill and magnum primers = healthy velocities, loud and hearty recoil. Making firm roll crimp necessary.
I got one of these for roll crimping rather than trying to use the crimp ring in the seating die.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519?pid=251707

Using the crimp ring in the seating die requires case lengths being even. Too much variance in case length gets uneven crimp depths.

A rifle with a tube magazine is recommended to roll crimp the rounds. I played with H-110 and didn't care to shoot full power .357Mag. H-110s characteristics call for good case fill and magnum primers = healthy velocities, loud and hearty recoil. Making firm roll crimp necessary.
I got one of these for roll crimping rather than trying to use the crimp ring in the seating die.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011209519?pid=251707

Using the crimp ring in the seating die requires case lengths being even. Too much variance in case length gets uneven crimp depths.
Roll crimp die is not included in a typical three die RCBS carbide set?

The seating die performs the roll crimp however as Mikej said Using the crimp ring in the seating die requires case lengths being even. Too much variance in case length gets uneven crimp depths., is very true and I recommend getting the LEE FCD as he referenced as it is not affected by differences in case length.

Yes it is. It is incorporated in the seating die. The problem is, if you are using mixed/once fired brass the brass length is likely to be different. The seater die is adjusted to seat the bullet to the desired OAL and at the same time the crimp ring in the die will crimp into the cannelure in the bullet. More than about (My estimate) .002", and as RVTech says, uneven crimps. You end up up getting under crimped cases and folded cases depending on how you set the crimp ring. That's my personal experience.

The seating die performs the roll crimp however as Mikej said Using the crimp ring in the seating die requires case lengths being even. Too much variance in case length gets uneven crimp depths., is very true and I recommend getting the LEE FCD as he referenced as it is not affected by differences in case length........
.....as long as it's not more than say (my estimate) .010".

Go ahead, get yourself all set up and play with the crimp in the seating die, to understand fully. I still check length and trim if there's too much variance.

You end up up getting under crimped cases and folded cases depending on how you set the crimp ring. That's my personal experience.
Same here.

I used to set my roll crimp to very minimal to prevent bulging cases on the longer ones but still got uneven crimps HOWEVER a correction - I do NOT have the Lee FCD but have instead the Lee Collet Crimp die which only performs a crimp and does not resize the case.

Same here.

I used to set my roll crimp to very minimal to prevent bulging cases on the longer ones but still got uneven crimps HOWEVER a correction - I do NOT have the Lee FCD but have instead the Lee Collet Crimp die which only performs a crimp and does not resize the case.
A quick search doesn't show a different Collet Crimp die? The "Lee Factory Crimp Dies" I've bought don't resize the case?

I DID buy a Lee 4-die set for .45 Colt and the fourth die was a TAPER CRIMP die! I thought it was common knowledge that .45 colt gets a roll crimp?!

A quick search doesn't show a different Collet Crimp die?
Technically called the Lee Collet Style Factory Crimp Die. Watch vid #1.

Technically called the Lee Collet Style Factory Crimp Die. Watch vid #1.
That's what I got. First for the .30-30. Then 45 Colt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top