JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll look into it. If they make it in a 3" or 2.5" barrel I might be interested.
That's the only way it comes - https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-63
Even though the 317 is their current "kit gun", the model 63 is the stainless version of the original kit gun, the model 34.
The 317 is ridiculously light (lighter than the LCRx), but I would prefer the extra heft of the model 63 as it would help with accuracy.
Although, an email I sent to S&W a few years back had them inform me, they consider themselves a custom gun maker, so if you want a different barrel length, they will try to oblige as much as possible.

Last Edited:
When I had your problem, I went with a S&W 686+ and after I got it, I knew I made the right Decision. It is a bit on the heavy side, but the seven rounds of .357 mag is no joke and I like how the weight helps with the recoil. I have the 2.5 inch and it is very easy to carry with a nice OWB holster and a good stiff belt. With three speed loaders on me and a full chamber, I feel very comfortable in my daily activities.

When I had your problem, I went with a S&W 686+ and after I got it, I knew I made the right Decision. It is a bit on the heavy side, but the seven rounds of .357 mag is no joke and I like how the weight helps with the recoil. I have the 2.5 inch and it is very easy to carry with a nice OWB holster and a good stiff belt. With three speed loaders on me and a full chamber, I feel very comfortable in my daily activities.
686+ is no foolin' around. Love me some 686…
B431F47D-E20F-4CFF-894A-96BB85D13383.jpeg

I bought an electroless nickel S&W 442 Airweight about 28 years ago, & have been very happy with it. It rides effortlessly in my pants front pocket, & draws easily. The DAO trigger is good & very predictable. It's not +P rated, so I originally carried it with W-W 110gn Silvertips, & later switched to Federal Hydrashock. I practice with 110gn reloads that shoot to the same point of impact as the carry ammo.

Last Edited:
Smith and Wesson guy through and through... but I've been very happy with Kimbers K6s..pretty much the same size as a S&W J frame but with a 6 shot cylinder. Trigger is on point with my other Smith revolvers... pretty smooth shooter that disappears in my summer clothes.

20210211_192101.jpg

Smith and Wesson guy through and through... but I've been very happy with Kimbers K6s..pretty much the same size as a S&W J frame but with a 6 shot cylinder. Trigger is on point with my other Smith revolvers... pretty smooth shooter that disappears in my summer clothes.

View attachment 1471932
I remember when those K6's came out. Those who took the plunge found a less than stellar firearm.
Kimber listened and refined that revolver. Nowadays, all the reviews I hear from owners mimic what Nharp1 had to say about his.
That says something about the company.

Last Edited:
There are tons of really nice Smith and Wesson Snubbies on GunBroker. Buy one from the 70's and eighties and you can get your money back out of it years from now as opposed to anything new with the lock or some brand that is not the grandaddy of all revolvers. No Ruger, Taurus or whatever is going to hold its value like a Smith. Model 10's, model 15's (38 Spl) in 2 inch barrell, Model 19's (357) in 2.5 barrel, and Airweights in 38 Spl if you want lighter guns. The Colt Detective Special is a great one as well. Super small but six shot. My Colt DS shoots great and is very, very concealable.

I would consider this one if I was in the market!

Federal Train + Protect 158-grain Lead Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point TP38VHP1

These have an advertised muzzle velocity of 786, not the fastest, but respectable for what they are. Remington semi-wadcutter hollow points are +P rated and push 900 fps…

I'd not want to sand in front of either round…
Slight correction on that. They list an 830 MV.
From a snubby, MV will likely be in the 650-670 range.

...however...

Notice the price in my link...

For $10 less, you can get 129 gr. +P "Hydra-Shok" ammo, loaded with the tried and true Hydra-Shok bullet.

For $12 less, you can get 120 gr. Punch ammo. Punch is specially designed for use in snub nosed revolvers, so....less money and optimized ammo.

I like the heavier bullet of the train & protect ammo, but its hard to doubt the punch and PD ammo's effectiveness, too.
I wouldn't feel undergunned with any of that, though, although I might tend to use the T&P ammo with a longer barreled revolver.

Last Edited:
I would consider this one if I was in the market!
I would also consider this. You should totally buy this from this very upstanding and well regarded member of this forum. He's probably the best.

The one I'm keeping, I like better, but really only because it's steel framed as opposed to aluminum and so handles +p a bit easier. I'm actually very impressed with it. The trigger is definitely better than any s&w airweight I've had, but not as good as a ruger. I've put maybe a thousand rounds through the stainless one and the only issue has been caused by me not cleaning it in a timely manner.

I have a few things in the works at the moment which prevent me from picking this up, if after I get things figured out and you still have it I will be all over it. I doubt that it will last long at the posted price.

we have one of the first Ruger SP101 3" made - 1989
my wife's purse gun - she has her Washington CPL
loaded with Buffalo Bore 158 gn Heavy semi wad cutters
the trigger broke in 2019 - would only fire single action
Ruger rebuilt it for free (not just a trigger repair) - was back to us in 5 days

Ruger SP101.jpg

FWIW it sounds like you have installed a set of Smiths later over sized grips. IMHO the original grip size for a "J" frame would be those found on the "J" frame classic, generally speaking any others would be oversized.
Classic "J" Frame

That said your choice of grips make sense, I'm running similar grips on me .357 model 60. My mode 38 however wears the smaller rubber grips.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads