JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I put up an ad selling shotgun slugs and 00 Buck. I was told by a moderator this was 'extremely illegal' unless I have a class 6 FFL. Can someone help me understand why, and if there are any workarounds? I can make them glow in the dark, which is something stores do not have. Can they be sold partially intact, like filled with its contents, but have the buyer roll crimp the rounds? Any advise would be most welcomed.
Thanks
Ryan

00Buckshot1.jpeg Diablo HP Slugs.jpeg glow 3.jpeg glow4.jpeg

The manufacture and commercial sale of ammunition is regulated by the BATFE which requires a class-6 FFL, and local jurisdictions may also have zoning/licensing requirements as well.

As for the "80%" loophole, you're probably asking for WAY more trouble from the BATFE (and bone-head customers that WILL fudge something up) than it's worth....

The manufacture and commercial sale of ammunition is regulated by the BATFE which requires a class-6 FFL, and local jurisdictions may also have zoning/licensing requirements as well.

As for the "80%" loophole, you're probably asking for WAY more trouble from the BATFE (and bone-head customers that WILL fudge something up) than it's worth....
Thank you!!!

Thank you very much!!

Walking a fine line with that stuff...
Even "teaching people" in a class like setting is questionable and can get you in trouble. I'd just get the FFL if you want to seriously consider this, and actually might be marketable to a degree. Cool idea tho.

Walking a fine line with that stuff...
Even "teaching people" in a class like setting is questionable and can get you in trouble. I'd just get the FFL if you want to seriously consider this, and actually might be marketable to a degree. Cool idea tho.
To this note, I noticed on my firearms instructor insurance, teaching reloading classes (which even the NRA has) is specifically not covered by the insurance.

So here is a question to ask yourself "Is what I'm doing worth gambling my house away?" Business insurance would protect your house, but you can't have that without being a business and you need the proper documents to be a business. FFL, State license, ect. When I retired I thought I'd make a little ammo and sell it to support my shooting hobby. Once I started looking into what it takes I realized I eather had to be a business makeing ammo for sale or a hobbyist only making my own ammo not for sale.

Those are some cool looking rounds. Wishing you all the best in your new biz venture.

Note: Most (edit: NEW) biz fail because of lack of proper planning. Please heed the advice to check out all the requirements to make this a biz!!! ... And investigate how to control product liability. As was said, it might not be worth it.

Last Edited:
If you have an original idea that merits protection development and potential marketing to the public, write a detailed letter containing as much information as you can commit to paper. Mail it certified to yourself as early a date as possible. It may be your idea is worth far more as a marketable idea than pursuing the range of Government requirements. This simple act has preserved unique ideas and products from being stolen or copied. Even if you retain all rights on a small scale. Not an attorney, just experienced. Just a thought.

I still say per the ATF documents that it states "livelihood" which is in stark contrast to some on this forum. I don't believe anyone has proven this wrong with proof other than 'this grey area will get you spanked'.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. My default is that it is your ammo, your livelihood if it kabooms in somebody else's firearm with no liability ins.

I'm gonna double post:

if we take the exact words from the ATF website:

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
  • Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.
  • No, if the person reloads only for personal use

This is similar when we read:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The word "and" at the end changes it if it was an 'or' but it's not, it is 'and'. It does not state "Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood or profit."

As far as the man getting nailed for the selling of ammo to the vegas shooter.
Before the attack, Haig had been working as an engineer at Honeywell in Arizona while operating a personal ammunition business, Specialized Military Ammunition, out of a workshop at his home. Through the business, he sold personally manufactured ammunition both online and at gun shows, including at least one in Nevada.
He also sold thousands upon thousands of rounds, not just a handful here and there. Dude WAS making a business (see above) for the purpose (see above) and used it for livelihood (see above).
Its legal for two dudes to meet in an alley and play pokey behind their families back but not to exchange munitions for fiat currency.

I'm gonna double post:

if we take the exact words from the ATF website:

Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?
  • Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit.
  • No, if the person reloads only for personal use

This is similar when we read:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The word "and" at the end changes it if it was an 'or' but it's not, it is 'and'. It does not state "Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood or profit."

As far as the man getting nailed for the selling of ammo to the vegas shooter.

He also sold thousands upon thousands of rounds, not just a handful here and there. Dude WAS making a business (see above) for the purpose (see above) and used it for livelihood (see above).
Its legal for two dudes to meet in an alley and play pokey behind their families back but not to exchange munitions for fiat currency.
It's funny how some believe it's legal to sell personal reloads as components in the reloading section but it is illegal to sell those same reloads in the ammo classified section. Either it's legal or it's not. I believe it's legal unless you are doing it as a business to support your livelihood in which case you should get a license.

It's funny how some believe it's legal to sell personal reloads as components in the reloading section but it is illegal to sell those same reloads in the ammo classified section. Either it's legal or it's not. I believe it's legal unless you are doing it as a business to support your livelihood in which case you should get a license.

There is the liability issue too

Keep in mind that many manufacturers of perfectly good products get sued anyway if their product was anywhere near an accident. Even a successful defense before trial takes a lot of money which ideally comes from an insurer.

In the case of the OP his efforts could very well be construed as manufacturing ammo as a business since he appeared to be maunfacturing the shells with the intent to sell them and presumably to make money doing so.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top