JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a handgun recently and the FFL (seller) delivered it in person to my FFL. I inquired about separating the slide from frame and only transferring the frame. He said that the firearm had to leave his book in the same classification as it was entered into his book.

I have read that FFLs are required to have a manufacturing license to assemble and sell a rifle or pistol from a serialized frame or receiver.

The 2023 revised 4473 will require FFLs to note if a firearm was privately made.

"Firearm retailers must now use the letters PMF when recording the transfer or acceptance of privately made firearms. The new 4473 announcement states, "Any firearm, received by a FFL, that was privately made (not manufactured by another licensee) must now be recorded on the ATF Form 4473"

If a non licensed seller was to build an AR15 from a fresh serialized lower and transfer it, does the FFL have to mark that firearm as privately made?

Interesting question. Sadly the ATF puts the FFL in an impossible position. If I buy a lower from one FFL, made by a company that also sells completed firearms, and put together my very own Frankenrifle, then take it to a different FFL for transfer, there is no way the FFL can know whether it started out as a complete firearm or just a receiver. They have to rely on me telling them the truth. In a free state where the gun may have been transferred multiple times privately before it gets to an FFL there is NO WAY for them to know, yet they are required to. BS!!

Honestly its the same its always been except for the three letter on the form.

for an un serialized firearm made at home in order to sell it you must serialize it and stamp manufacturer name and city,state.

this has been this way, of course when you sell or transfer your completed 80% to anyone, it has to be serialized. Atf just now wants to track 80% makers easier with an added status imo.

much harder to identify a home made gun, when normally the form would have something like:
pistol, "acme arms", serial 123457.

but now you have PMF code.

Last Edited:
if you build your own rifle from an originally serialized lower. When you are selling it, depending on the ffl, they will submit as rifle i guess. Now if you take it in without a buttstock, they maybe do pistol or other. They are likely supposed to transfer it the form it arrives in.

does the updated regulation redefine privately made firearm?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top