JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And still more....
Andy
P1120489.JPG P1130865.JPG P1110070.JPG

If you're referring to the triggers, no they're set triggers. If memory serves he built a copy of an original Schreit (spelling?) rifle. Even had the barrel spec'd out to .47 caliber to match the original.

The double triggers ...
One , usually the rear trigger "sets" the front trigger....
So that instead of pounds , the front trigger can be tripped by a pound or ounces.
With most modern guns that have double triggers , you can chose to set the trigger or not.
( just pull the front trigger like a modern gun )

On some original guns the front trigger needs to be set in order to fire.
Also in some late period percussion guns there is no "half cock" the hammer is down or full cock.
Andy

Last Edited:
The double triggers ...
One , usually the rear trigger "sets" the front trigger....
So that instead of pounds , the fromt trigger can be tripped by a pound or ounces.
With most modern guns that have double triggers , you can chose to set the trigger or not.
( just pull the front trigger like a modern gun )

On some original guns the front trigger needs to set in order to fire.
Also in some late period percussion guns their is no "half cock" the hammer is down or full cock.
Andy
Forgive my ignorance, but on a black powder gun half cock is like a safety?

Yes ... And no need to forgive.
Just like the hammers on pre - safety Winchester and Marlin Lever action rifles.
Pull the hammer back to the first click and its on "safety"

Of course all trigger control and muzzle discipline still apply.
Here in the Pic , you can see the hammer notches on the tumbler ... the first notch is half cock , the second is full cock.
( they are just right of the leaf spring... )
Andy
P1110225[1].JPG

Last Edited:
Andy, those teepees reminded me of when I lived in Montana..
we used to go to some of the powwows., camping out for days. some were pretty big. They were invariably fun!

They sure are ... I have a "Miners tent".
The teepee pictured was loaned to us for our use , by the 1838 Rendezvous Association.:D

The 1838 Rendezvous is a fun event and the members are all very welcoming.
Andy

Last Edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but on a black powder gun half cock is like a safety?
Hence the phrase "Don't go off half cocked."
Comes from a worn notch and the hammer falling down when not wanted.
Or when you are in a hurry and don't fully seat the hammer in the notch.
Oops! ...

All in all ... a gun with crisp notches is "safe" at half cock ... But as I said above trigger control and muzzle discipline beats any "safety".
Andy

We don't have a Schuetzen rifle ( yet :D )
But we do have some target muzzleloaders.
For Blackpowder cartridge rifles we have a Original Bridgeport model Sharps and a Trapdoor Springfield rifle from 1883.
We still shoot these ... and they do very well.
( not the best pic ... sorry)
Andy
DSC05691.jpg

Eurasian Collared doves. When ODFW declared them an invasive species I didn't have to use a shotgun anymore. They actually eat better than mourning doves and there's more meat on 'em.
Collard is what I meant. I hate those bastards. My favorite way to cook them is to sear 'em in a stick of melted butter with lots of spices and then cook them in the oven. Barbecuing them in a wrap of foil with broken up chunks of garlic and some rosemary.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top