JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at making a batch... But out od all the how-tos and videos... No one is sizing granules

Is it FF? FFF? FFFF?

They're just shoving through random screens!

Am I over thinking this?

Ive mostly observed FF for long guns, FFF for pistols and FFFF for priming flintlocks.

Something to consider here is that the "F" grades are modern...as in late 19th - early 20th century terms.

When muzzle loaders were the only firearms the terms :
Coarse Powder , Fine Powder , Super Fine Powder ( Occasionally ) and Cannon Powder were used.
At times you may read of Rifle Powder , Musket Powder and rarely Pistol Powder.

Priming powder is also a "new" thing...back in the day...Daniel Boone "primed" from his one and only powder horn.
In any event...
You can get along just fine by using 2F or 3F for all your shooting needs.

I wouldn't over worry too much about it.
Andy

Edit to add...
An old fashioned Mortar and pestle will make any "F" grade you need....

Last Edited:
They are not just random screens. They are the screens that give them close to the size they need. and then after drying the granules are sifted for size through a classifying screen to sort the sizes. Classifying screens are found at a lab supply store. DR

Something to consider here is that the "F" grades are modern...as in late 19th - early 20th century terms.

Coarse Powder , Fine Powder , Super Fine Powder ( Occasionally ) and Cannon Powder were used.

Priming powder is also a "new" thing...back in the day...Daniel Boone "primed" from his one and only powder horn.
In any event...

Andy

Edit to add...

So what you're saying is, "F around and find out"? :eek:

:s0140:

In any event...

Andy

Edit to add...
MORTAR? PESTLE? BAH, HUMBUG!

If'n you wants it super-duper fine, go big!

Grandpa taught me how when I was about 11. We went to OWL drugstore in Salem and bought the 3 ingredients needed and made about 2 onces of BP. We rolled up a couple of firecrackers and made some fuse. Some of it got burned on an old plate. It was mixed dry so not the highest quality but it made a good bang in the firecrackers.

Pottery and firework chemical supply shops have brass and stainless screens.

Seattle Pottery supply

Skylighter
So do suppliers of coffee supplies for grading ground coffee but you will likely pay an objectional- premium for them when the hardware store might come up with something useable for straining paint, OR?

Pottery and firework chemical supply shops have brass and stainless screens.
Seattle Pottery supply

Skylighter
The cheapest I found were on Amazon.

MORTAR? PESTLE? BAH, HUMBUG!
If'n you wants it super-duper fine, go big!

That kid has a shocking future in grabbing one of the high tension lines above a passenger train.

It's super easy to do once you have a good supply of the 3 things you need, the tricks are in Corning your powder after drying, and you can test it to determine "F" rating, there are videos that show you how to do it all!

Keep your eye out at the used bookstores for a copy of Foxfire 5. It has a section on making black powder, as well as making/rifling black powder guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top