JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The reason for asking is that I have a cheapo 16" 300 BO barrel that I was thinking about running some rounds through loaded with various BP substitutes. I would run them with gas port blocked off so I can keep most of the fouling out of the gas system and upper receiver.

Compared to phosphated and stainless barrels.
Then yeah. With BP, nitride is the better of the 3. Ease of cleaning... nitride and stainless... I can't tell much difference, but nitride stands up to brushing and such better, IMHO. Corrosion resistance... that's a no brainer.

What about Chrome lined barrels, how do they hold up to black powder abuse?
I haven't used chrome lined with any BP so.... I'm just guessing. I would "think" the internals would hold up really well against corrosion, however, with chrome lined, you're likely talking phosphate everywhere else. BP makes a pretty good mess all over in all the hard to reach places so it's likely a trade-off(?)

Personally, I would still lean toward nitrided, but zombies might be real and I just don't know that either. :D

Black powder and especially black powder substitutes ain't for those who don't clean their firearms.
Both are corrosive...and both need to be cleaned , fairly quickly from the firearm
While actual black powder is a bit more forgiving here...the BP substitutes ain't.

I would guess , there ain't no such thing as corrosive resistant in regards to black powder or its substitute powders / pellets / etc....
Andy

Black powder and especially black powder substitutes ain't for those who don't clean their firearms.
Both are corrosive...and both need to be cleaned , fairly quickly from the firearm
While actual black powder is a bit more forgiving here...the BP substitutes ain't.

I would guess , there ain't no such thing as corrosive resistant in regards to black powder or its substitute powders / pellets / etc....
Andy
This is true for all bp substitutes except BH 209. The cleaning process for it is akin to smokeless powders and I believe it's corrosiveness is also similar. It still leaves more residue than smokeless powder and needs to be cleaned regularly but I don't believe it will corrode metals with extended exposure.

This is true for all bp substitutes except BH 209. The cleaning process for it is akin to smokeless powders and I believe it's corrosiveness is also similar. It still leaves more residue than smokeless powder and needs to be cleaned regularly but I don't believe it will corrode metals with extended exposure.
While I have not used BH 209...I have seen it in use...and I still stand by my quoted statement , in regards to it and other substitute powders.
Others no doubt will have had differing experiences.
Andy

The reason for asking is that I have a cheapo 16" 300 BO barrel that I was thinking about running some rounds through loaded with various BP substitutes. I would run them with gas port blocked off so I can keep most of the fouling out of the gas system and upper receiver.
300blk… suppressed? You really need a pistol can for this that can be disassembled for cleaning. You don't want you NFA item rusting out. Also, I don't know how you plan to block off the barrel's gas hole but if not done flush, you will collect corrosive residue in that hole and the barrel will start corroding there… no bueno. My best advice is to use a bolt action rifle for this project, and a disposable oil filter suppressor that just has the mount serialized. Everything combustible in the oil filter will, well, combust. Black powder is not done burning by the time the bullet exits the barrel. But it's still better than trashing an OSS can. If not using a suppressor, you are still going to get a nasty smoke cloud that will obscure your target.

I've done that too; shooting black powder cartridges in firearms designed for smokeless.
30/30 and 444 Marlin, 44 Winchester 94, and Ruger Blackhawk in 44 and 45 Colt, and yes, even on a Glock 41.
Fun as hell to shoot, and function was good, except for the revolvers which fouled at the base pins and cylinder requiring a dry bore brush and toothbrush to keep them going.
Surprisingly, the rifles and glock's chambers remained clear enough to feed (although I only used 2 magazines on the glockenspiel like hickcock did)
I only shoot black powder in percussion guns now, as cleanup was a nightmare.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top