JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
***Warning long read and not directed at anyone in particular***

Something to consider here...
Is just how far do you want to go with historically correctness....?

Starting with the basic fact that more than likely you drove to the hunting area / rendezvous with your truck or car.
Most folks don't ride in on a horse* or go up the Missouri in a boat.

Also no matter how historic correct you are...
You are still pretending.
You do not run the risk of taking a Blackfoot arrow while running a trap line...
Nor will the Crows steal your outfit...
The Shawnee won't chase you out of their hunting grounds.
You are not Daniel Boone or Kit Carson.

Getting a historically correct outfit is expensive in both time and money.
Finding and buying a correct firearm and outfit is difficult as well.
Many times you will have to make or modify an existing outfit to make it work for historically correctness.
Which again is expensive...in time , money , plus one needs the skill to do so.
All of which can turn off someone from doing so.

Something else to consider with a historically correct outfit is time and place...
Say you are striving to be a Long Hunter circa 1768...
What was seen , used and commonly available in Boston then....may ( would ) not be the same for a frontier settlement in Virginia.
Same for a western fur trapper in 1838....
A hired trapper working for the American Fur Company , will not be outfitted the same for a hunter working out of Bent's Fort,

Some modern things need to be allowed...
Medicine , as simple as aspirin or as complex as EPI pen
Toilet paper is a plus too...:D
I have a good friend who is in his 70's with some health issues...
Should I tell him that he can't play , because in his tent , hidden under wool blankets is his air mattress....?

Also and perhaps most important ....
So what...?
As in So what if someone shows up at rendezvous and he is a old white guy wearing a chrome tanned Mandan war shirt..
Plastic beads glued all over it...while wearing a dead critter for a hat...
Shooting a tacked up Thompson Center Hawken rifle...
If he ain't hurting anyone so what....?

Now to be honest here...
I did indeed start showing my display to "combat" , so to speak images like the above.
I did so , because the above is not what or how things were done...and to portray the above as being just like Kit Carson...
Does history a dis-service.
However it is not my place to nit pick that man in public or "correct" him...
Or look down upon him and think that I am somehow "better" than him.

Sorry for the long read...
Andy
* Yes I do know of folks who "pack in" on their horses to rendezvous ...or even walk in as I have....

Last Edited:
***Warning long read and not directed at anyone in particular***

Something to consider here...
Is just how far do you want to go with historically correctness....?

Starting with the basic fact that more than likely you drove to the hunting area / rendezvous with your truck or car.
Moist folks don't ride in on a horse* or go up the Missouri in a boat.

Let it be known that Andy has set a new NWFA first…. The bold text is proof of angry spittle on his keyboard.

:s0140:

Last Edited:
I enjoy muzzleloading mostly for hunting but my choice of tools is far from the traditional. Doesn't make it right or wrong, it is just a choice. I can still respect a guy that goes out in the snow freezing his arse off in traditional gear shooting a flintlock that may or may not go off in a wet snowstorm. They certainly have my respect and admiration. The puritanical sect in any endeavor always seem to harbor elitists, and their intolerance is what turns me and others off. I say live and let live and do whatever floats your boat, but don't cast aspersions on those that choose a different path. Last but not least those moist folks that Andy refers to, really ought to consider riding with a towel under them.😅

Nor do most folks whittle themselves a set of teefs to use on their 'rondy'.
Well... if you're not going to play the game right...
1670341086083.png

Grown a** men crying foul over their pretends.... Really?? 🤣

It does sound really interesting though! I would ask if I can go play too, but I dunno if they would let me.

I wanna be an Injun and whack'em white man! 🤣

Ever been to Philadelphia?
I just got back from a deer hunting trip to New York state.
We took a weekend off from hunting and drove to Philly.
And went to the American revolution museum.
It's 25 bucks to get in but they have lots history in there it was pretty cool.

PXL_20221126_191842764.MP.jpg PXL_20221126_190712074.MP.jpg PXL_20221126_192734856.MP.jpg PXL_20221126_192602996.MP.jpg

Learning and mastering the skills that Daniel Boone and Kit Carson used on almost daily basis is a worthy goal.
Doing so , with actual 18th and 19th century gear , firearms and clothing , or their close copies , is also a worthwhile endeavor.
Striving for historically correctness is fun , educational and extremely satisfying.

Something to consider here is ....
That even though you dress like Daniel Boone or Kit Carson....
You can start a fire with flint and steel...
Shoot well enough to get a reputation as a fine shot....
Maybe you even go so far as to learn about and only relate to what was the current events of their times...when you are out and about emulating them....

You still ain't really one of them.
They lived it ...day and day out....because it was all that they had.
Much like my term "close copies"....that is what we have and are ...
No matter how good or authentic one's gear is , or how one does things...
It still is only a close copy.

Being close is still worthwhile....
It is worthwhile because it can help you learn from and about , as well as appreciate the folks from the past and what they went through.

I would encourage all who enjoy muzzle loading firearms to at least try for a time , doing things the way they actually were done...
As opposed to how things are done today .

For those who do this already....
I would encourage you to share what you know and look without judgement on others who don't wish to go as far as you.
Andy

Learning and mastering the skills that Daniel Boone and Kit Carson used on almost daily basis is a worthy goal.
Doing so , with actual 18th and 19th century gear , firearms and clothing , or their close copies , is also a worthwhile endeavor.
Striving for historically correctness is fun , educational and extremely satisfying.

Something to consider here is ....
That even though you dress like Daniel Boone or Kit Carson....
You can start a fire with flint and steel...
Shoot well enough to get a reputation as a fine shot....
Maybe you even go so far as to learn about and only relate to what was the current events of their times...when you are out and about emulating them....

You still ain't really one of them.
They lived it ...day and day out....because it was all that they had.
Much like my term "close copies"....that is what we have and are ...
No matter how good or authentic one's gear is , or how one does things...
It still is only a close copy.

Being close is still worthwhile....
It is worthwhile because it can help you learn from and about , as well as appreciate the folks from the past and what they went through.

I would encourage all who enjoy muzzle loading firearms to at least try for a time , doing things the way they actually were done...
As opposed to how things are done today .

For those who do this already....
I would encourage you to share what you know and look without judgement on others who don't wish to go as far as you.
Andy
What Andy is trying to say is thus; he carries a blunderbuss for CC :s0140:

On a different but parallel tangent, I really like guns of the old west and have a bunch of the modern equivalents. I was drawn to try Cowboy Action Shooting. Watched lots of youtube and the like and thought it would be fun to try. So I showed up at an event "just to watch" but bring a appropriate brace of firearms "just in case". I'm welcomed and soon enough I'm shooting stages and having a blast. I got invited to come back for the next event and do so and was allowed to participate but was informed that after this I'd have to costume up (my words not theirs). My thought was that I'm a shootest, there to shoot an event, not a play actor to act like someone I'm not. I did like the event and at some point would like to do it again but right now I'd rather just go to the local gravel pit with my shooting buddy and play happy can all day.

On a different but parallel tangent, I really like guns of the old west and have a bunch of the modern equivalents. I was drawn to try Cowboy Action Shooting. Watched lots of youtube and the like and thought it would be fun to try. So I showed up at an event "just to watch" but bring a appropriate brace of firearms "just in case". I'm welcomed and soon enough I'm shooting stages and having a blast. I got invited to come back for the next event and do so and was allowed to participate but was informed that after this I'd have to costume up (my words not theirs). My thought was that I'm a shootest, there to shoot an event, not a play actor to act like someone I'm not. I did like the event and at some point would like to do it again but right now I'd rather just go to the local gravel pit with my shooting buddy and play happy can all day.
Me, I would have 'costumed up' like Wild Bill Hickock stepping out of the bathtub.

Couldn't be agin the rules, could it? Authentically nekkid in 1870 looks pretty much the same any time, right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top