JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same here, I love hunting with a rifle, but I try to inoculate myself from the rifle hunting "crowds" by sitting in my Jon boat; trying to fool ducks into landing onto my deeks. As long as hunters are legal & safe, I avoid the areas so they can hunt the way they want.

I have ZERO tolerance for poachers (especially-so on my land); I will record, photograph, and report them without regard to their situation.

I generally yield to youth hunters (doing the right things) on public lands.
have you had problems with poachers? what unit is your land in?

have you had problems with poachers? what unit is your land in?

Trask

Enough problems to believe there isn't a whole lot of respect around here for private property. It was particularly difficult to relax when I first bought the place; some people tried to argue using the "grandfather clause".

Amazing phenomena, the influence some people think they have over another person's property.

That's why I believe a zero-tolerence policy is the best way to help people learn to better-respect what does not belong to them.

i bowhunt the trask unit. ive seen some sketchy people drivin around. infact, on opening day of bow season 2 years ago i was walking to "my spot" when all the sudden out of no where a guy walks past me im assuming to his truck and then, a few moments later unloads a mag from his handgun then drives off like a bad outta hell. pretty scary situation seeing as how i have no idea where those bullets were goin.

Picking a place to hunt does have several demensions; one year, I launched from an outdoor shooting area...thinking that people would shoot elsewhere if my rig was parked there....wrong.

I'm a behind the gates hunter now; less vehicular traffic usually means less people. :eek:

A wise hunter fully-expects other people to influence/affect a hunt, and he or she plans/intends to exploit whatever situation arises.

Dialed-in the 50 yard pin tonight.

Tried-out a home made archery target and it also works good.

* empty 35# bird seed bag (inside out w/vitals drawn).
* stuffed with 10 or 12 layers of cardboard.
* 2"of green foam used for floor underlayment (behind cardboard).
* sewed it close w/ speedy stitch kit.
* 24" para cord lanyards tied to the 2 top ends.

Stops arrows a little deeper than a commercial target; hangs onto them a bit harder too. 50 yard shots penetrate 3".

Some guy on you tube just put a bunch of rags in a big box,about 2' square.Just too simple,worked great.
For me the wood cutting I'm doing at 7000ft is a bit of prep.Figure working up there will acclimate me to the elevations I may hunt at.
So Oath,are you going to paper tune your bow? Or do you bother? Some do and some say no biggie.
I would guess it's more important if shooting out to 50 than just at 20-30

Some guy on you tube just put a bunch of rags in a big box,about 2' square.Just too simple,worked great.
For me the wood cutting I'm doing at 7000ft is a bit of prep.Figure working up there will acclimate me to the elevations I may hunt at.
So Oath,are you going to paper tune your bow? Or do you bother? Some do and some say no biggie.
I would guess it's more important if shooting out to 50 than just at 20-30

I'll paper tune if I have time; I spend most of the final days shooting used broadheads. Wood cutting is great training for hunting season. I never get enough walking and cycling in before opening day. Come August 29th, my summer chores have to be done because the rains can come early; so the mad-rush for me actually begins in March.

I drew the Oregon 217R tag (Stott Mtn) this year; it gives me a 2nd elk season (cow/archery) in late Nov through early Dec (if I can't fill my 1st season tag). That runs into duck season.

Havn't been able to get ahold of the guy I'm "supposed" to be going hunting with for a couple weeks now...

Not having a solid hunting partner really blows:(.

My wife's pretty against it but I may be hunting alone this year unless I can find someone else looking for a partner this late in the year.

nice i have some 100gr shuttles i have yet to try. do they fly the same as your field points? ive heard nothing but good things about them.

Yeah, real close; archers afield showed me a photo album of the success they have. I've been 100% Satisfied with the 125s. Wanna invest in 100g (less arc at 50 yards) one of these years.

Hey Joe13, the best some of us hope for is a couple guys who would answer the phone....aka request for help to pack out the meat.

Yeah, real close; archers afield showed me a photo album of the success they have. I've been 100% Satisfied with the 125s. Wanna invest in 100g (less arc at 50 yards) one of these years.

Hey Joe13, the best some of us hope for is a couple guys who would answer the phone....aka request for help to pack out the meat.

Now thats a great idea there! I do have some friends who wouldnt go hunting or would clean the meat but they would come help if I called.

Now thats a great idea there! I do have some friends who wouldnt go hunting or would clean the meat but they would come help if I called.
an even better idea is to tell them you tracked it for 6 miles from the other side of the mountain that way next season you dont see anyone in your spot

Joe,

The idea that taking an elk can be a 2 or 3 day ordeal is a realistic one. If you are lucky-enough to have 1 or 2 able-bodied friends with reliable transportation, you could feel confident that a last-light shot (5 miles behind a gate at the bottom of some timber hell-hole) would not end up as a disaster.

It takes coordination; pre-briefs & pre-drawn maps or your friends, and finding the cell phone hot spots for yourself.

You could/should throw a pre-programmed $40.00 Baofeng ham radio in your pack; ok to use without a license during an emergency. There are repeaters all along the coast range and cascades.

A second radio would provide a listening station at home.

Last Edited:
I greatly appreciate all of the advice.

As a second year hunter who has yet to get an animal, I'm eager to learn any and all that I can.

These forums and people like yall are a huge help to folks like myself who do not have any previous ties to the Hunting community up here.

Well this is just a 5th or 6th year hunter,like really hunting,but if it's as hot and dry as last year,it will be a slow year.
We will have temps in the 100s this week.Hope it cools off sometime before the hunting season

I've been going through my pack and truck narrowing stuff down. I put my camera out earlier in the year but will redeploy soon. I can't wait til September when grouse season starts.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top