JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I greatly appreciate all of the advice.

As a second year hunter who has yet to get an animal, I'm eager to learn any and all that I can.

These forums and people like yall are a huge help to folks like myself who do not have any previous ties to the Hunting community up here.

you got any advice for a newbie trying to get in the game.
I've been reading the various threads on here but its always nice to hear it from a former newbie. I've never hunted before.

I've been reading the various threads on here but its always nice to hear it from a former newbie. I've never hunted before.

Try to partner up with an experienced/successful hunter! There are a lot of older guys around that have mobility issues,
if you can provide transportation, help them get in position and work the camp, they can provide a wealth of experience and lore. I would try an add in the classifieds here on NWFA!
Best of luck to you!!!:)

What Srg said and I would find a place you want to try hunting at.Deer live everywhere,you need to find the kind of country you want to hunt.The confines of the coast forests and clear cuts or eastern Oregon ?
Then make some camping trips to the area and get up at O dark thirty and go scouting.That's when the deer are out,and the last light,and that's when you will get some idea of where they will be.
Get some good binocs cause searching thru bad glass will give you headaches.
And be proficient with your weapon of choice,please?

Things i learned last year:

Finding an experienced hunter to partner with would be ideal.

However, FINDING an experienced hunter that is willing to not only show you the ropes but also share some prime hunting areas is next to impossible, so don't expect to find that easily.

Making scouting trips this time of the year before the season starts is the difference between a good chance at landing an animal and blindly wondering around the forest, hoping to bump into one - made this mistake myself so I can't stress its importance enough; I didnt get it last year, I do now;).

I have had much better luck finding other "newbies" that want to partner up - kind of like the blind leading the blind, but its a lot better then hunting alone if you are not a woodsman/survivalist with the skills to stay alive while injured until found.

Only buy the BARE essentials this year. Come November/December the hunting gear will be 50% off or more and you can gear up with all the niceties for the following year.

Practice with your weapon and buy extra ammo/arrows at least a month before opening day, because come opening day there will be a definite lack of inventory on the retail shelves.

Get in better shape! I dont care how mobile you think you are, most likely you could use a bit of a tune up. Carrying a pack all day and then maybe having to drag an animal back to camp on top of all that hiking can be a very physically challenging experience, depending on the terrain.

Practice with your weapon all year round; no since in all that prep only to miss what your aiming at.

Look for a partner in spring/summer. Longer you wait, the less options you will have to pick from.

Learn and scout as much as possible; potential partners like to see a self motivator i think.

Don't get your hopes up the first year; even on my second year, I'm looking at this coming season as a learning experience and will feel very lucky to take an animal.

Desensitize yourself to gutting and butchering an animal by watching youtube till its boring (I needed a bit of that; not that everyone will).

Patience is a virtue lol.

Thats the short list that came to mind.

Stick with it - while I haven't been able to fill a tag yet, I have had many wonderful and fulfilling experiences just trying to become a part of the hunting community.

===========
Edits:

I already had a broken in pair of leather boots and was very happy I did. 8 miles in the SW WA hills before lunch and then another 6-8 that evening was the first time my feet have started to hurt since break in years ago.
I am actually thinking of buying a new pair to break in this summer as a backup just in case (even though I have a lot of years left in my current ones).

Last Edited:
:D:D:D:D:DFry the liver of your deer with bacon and onions for breakfast! Look over at your kill frequently, while you eat it! One of the best things on earth! :D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Joe13...I know that took a good amount of time to type up but I promise, I read it over a few times so it was well worth it.

I have a plate carrier with those heavy steel plates and have been wearing it while working in my backyard to help me with having weight on me. Not that i'm being big-headed but I play soccer a few times a week and do some lifting so I hope i'm in good enough shape. I guess it doesn't hurt to try the real thing out in the woods.

A work associate suggested picking an area I would like to hunt now, then go out and place some trail cameras to begin scouting. I've also been looking at various GPS devices to make sure I can find my way out in case I get turned around.

The biggest obstacle I'll have is going to be the gutting/dressing the animal since i've never had to do it before and I've been doing exactly what you've suggested...YouTube. I try to find the bloodiest videos to watch and get accustomed to the look. The feel and smell, well, that's a whole other thing I won't know until actually doing it.

I'm not sure which rifle I want to use yet. Right now I have the choice of .223, 300aac or 308win. Any thoughts?
But i know i need to pick one already to make sure I have enough time to sight it in and get plenty of practice time behind it before taking it out. Haven't decided on a scope yet either, i've never done any shooting with a scope so I'm considering just using my iron sights since that's what I know.

I've picked deer as the animal of choice. I may not even buy a tag this year, I think i'll just use this year as a dry run. My goal for this year is just to spot a deer within 200-300 years and find a location to try to actually hunt next year. Can you take a rifle out there with you without having tags? If not, then I'll just go get the tags so i'm legal.

Thanks for the advice about not buying all the gear right now. I'll wait for the end of year sales. :)

Yes, you can be out with a rifle - just don't get caught with a dead animal and no tag :p

For what a tag costs, imo it's worth having - the last deer I saw last year was when I was getting into the truck to head home.

Between those 3 calibers I would go .308win for sure. If your close enough you can take an elk with one and there is a lot of cheap military surplus ammo to practice with.

Scope would depend on terrain, I use a 4x scout setup because I hunt in the west side woods and don't get shots over 150 yards or so.

Anything you get, just get familiar with it.

Wish I had something more for the dressing and skinning - I've yet to do that with big game; I'll get over whatever aversion I have in a hurry though when I'm standing over a big animal thats down, I'm not wasting meat:D.

Best of Luck and keep everyone updated!

"Yes, you can be out with a rifle - just don't get caught with a dead animal and no tag :p"
This will,or could lead to guilty until proven innocent.
game wardens don't like folks in their woods with rifles if they don't have a tag.
That would be poaching in their book.Then you would have to go to court and show them the state laws saying you can carry a rifle if you want.
So good luck with that

Yes, you can be out with a rifle - just don't get caught with a dead animal and no tag :p
For what a tag costs, imo it's worth having - the last deer I saw last year was when I was getting into the truck to head home.

"Yes, you can be out with a rifle - just don't get caught with a dead animal and no tag :p"
This will,or could lead to guilty until proven innocent.
game wardens don't like folks in their woods with rifles if they don't have a tag.
That would be poaching in their book.Then you would have to go to court and show them the state laws saying you can carry a rifle if you want.
So good luck with that

Good to know. The $50 it costs to get a license and a tag will be worth not having to deal with any legal trouble.

Good point. I always carry a rifle regardless of season but when I'm not hunting I don't dress like a hunter or carry game bags or anything with me.

Multiple guns and knifes any time I'm in the bush.

In WA it's always coyote season...

Here's the biggest question I have...how are you suppose to know where you're allowed to hunt exactly?
For example...I live in Eugene so I decided I'll probably head to Unit 19 (McKenzie) and even downloaded the large map of it from the ODFW but does it mean I can go anywhere within that unit and hunt?

upload_2015-7-15_23-6-6.png upload_2015-7-15_23-10-0.png

upload_2015-7-15_23-6-6.png

upload_2015-7-15_23-10-0.png

Oh, BTW noobs, I always carried a bear tag when deer hunting. Not so much for Elk wouldn't trade a bear for an Elk possible!
Again good luck to you all!

Here's the biggest question I have...how are you suppose to know where you're allowed to hunt exactly?
For example...I live in Eugene so I decided I'll probably head to Unit 19 (McKenzie) and even downloaded the large map of it from the ODFW but does it mean I can go anywhere within that unit and hunt?

View attachment 247484 View attachment 247486

I'm in WA and everything is different here. i'll let one of the real hunters answer that one ;)

View attachment 247484 View attachment 247486
The description of the unit will usually have notes or 'except' that tell you if there is a 'permit only' section in it.Otherwise you can usually hunt the entire unit that isn't private property,or that if you have permission.
Most cities over there are off limits too

I went out and conducted a 5 hour dismounted reconnaissance this morning. Up at 03:30, launched at 05:00, back to the truck by 10:00.

Seen 6 deer out in the open and a fresh pile of scat near some Logan Berries. One deer was a fine tall-velveted 3x3 with developing eye-guards. He was following an old doe and her fawn (probably a momma's boy). I caught all the deer feeding in the soggy bottoms of clearcuts.

Walking on the pre-season gravel n rocks really helps; spend most of my season foot or MTN bike cruising on the gated roads and gassing to make the initial contacts.

Was a good patrol; hot by 09:30.

Last Edited:
Took my bow in for a check up and paper-tuning today and I received way-more professional service and advice than I expected and/or paid for. My retail purchase afterwards couldn't have possibly covered the employer's expences, so they will get first crack at all of my 2016-2017 archery business (at least).

The technician was able to accomplish what 3 bow shops and the factory store couldnt; diagnose and correct "bottom tear" on paper (and downward arrow tilt at 40 yards+) and my forward grasp. This guy was awesome! He was adjusting things on my bow that I didn't know could be adjusted. It shoots solid; has less vibration, it's a bit faster, it has a crisper/quieter launch, and truer flight.

I draw a line at open advertising; send a PM if you would like his name and the store where the shop is located.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top