JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
0611152102a.jpg Dusted-off the Assassin, re-hung the targets, and dialed in the 20 yard pin today.

I shoot my .308 all year round at different distances.

I'm ramping up my stamina on walks and hikes.

Constantly re-evaluate my gear to best suit my needs and eliminate the excess waste.

Currently looking for a 2nd pair of good boots to break in while it's still summer on short walks.

Scout, scout and scout some more.

View attachment 242472 Dusted-off the Assassin, re-hung the targets, and dialed in the 20 yard pin today.
Maybe you throw a couple more arrows down range?
Get some help with sighting the pins in?

:s0018::s0140:
:s0162:

I'll set up the target in the back yard again.Need to start sending some arrows down range.
I've started my prep by moving to 4000ft and cutting wood at 6k.just have to do some hiking at some higher elevations.
Heck the nice range is right on the way to the dump,so once a week I can sit down and poke some holes in paper on the dump run.

I rifle hunt for meat, so I don't care about horns. Therefore my simplistic approach to deer hunting. This years prep will include new tires for the truck, as I'm waiting to make it through the summer on low tread before spending the dough. Then I will be watching the weather forecast for the season. Once we get some rain, I will head out and drive around for a bit. They will always be out in the open when the weather changes. Although I take the entire season off of work and camp in the unit, The rest of the season is for hanging out with family and reconnecting with old friends. Go ahead and cr@ptalk on the way I do it, but I've ate well the past 10 years & even have a trophy on the wall.. Good luck this year friends! ;)

I rifle hunt for meat, so I don't care about horns. Therefore my simplistic approach to deer hunting. This years prep will include new tires for the truck, as I'm waiting to make it through the summer on low tread before spending the dough. Then I will be watching the weather forecast for the season. Once we get some rain, I will head out and drive around for a bit. They will always be out in the open when the weather changes. Although I take the entire season off of work and camp in the unit, The rest of the season is for hanging out with family and reconnecting with old friends. Go ahead and cr@ptalk on the way I do it, but I've ate well the past 10 years & even have a trophy on the wall.. Good luck this year friends! ;)

Why would anyone give you grief?? Ive got no intrest in trophys, i only want the meat (and some time in the woods) and would rather not spend 2 weeks getting it if at all possibl lol.

Sounds like you've profected your seasonal hunt - kudos!;)

I aim to be there someday...

One of the most difficult tasks for me is to understand the hunting regulations well-enough to make the best decisions; a full-time job keeping up with all the updates and changes.

I've settled into a comfort zone with archery for deer and elk, rifle for bear, and bird-hunting guns.

I don't have much faith in the fairness of how controlled hunts are (mis) managed. One example is when someone you know draws Murderers Creek 3 years in a row.....while you have 3 points for the same unit.....whatever rule allows that to happen (nepotism?) is BS.

There are a lot of general elk tags for Eastern Oregon this year.

The Industrial Fire Protection Level (IFPL) may make it rough on hunters who hunt in private timber this year....I'm scouting in the bottoms and they are already dry.

i shot my buck at 72 yards last year. right in the engine compartment. wouldnt hesitate to do it again if i had a clear shot.

That's excellence IMO.

Seems to me, the 80 yard pin would be bigger than the kill zone. I have the pins, but I rarely get around to dialing the 60 "yarder" by the time the season opens.

That's excellence IMO.

Seems to me, the 80 yard pin would be bigger than the kill zone. I have the pins, but I rarely get around to dialing the 60 "yarder" by the time the season opens.
its all practice and bow tuning man. you need to have that arrow flying perfect thru paper. I regularly practice at 80 yards. makes the closer shots less difficult. Aim small miss small.

i shot my buck at 72 yards last year. right in the engine compartment. wouldnt hesitate to do it again if i had a clear shot.
That's fine,I think it's irresponsible my self. Too many variables at that distance with an arrow.
Too many guys out there wasting game doing this
Maybe learn to hunt better and get closer?
Just a thought

That's fine,I think it's irresponsible my self. Too many variables at that distance with an arrow.
Too many guys out there wasting game doing this
Maybe learn to hunt better and get closer?
Just a thought
for elk i like to get as close as possible(inside 50 yards is where i am most comfortable for elk) as arrow placement on an elk is much much much more critical. maybe its just me, but for deer at that distance is ok because i have never lost a deer (yet). in my opinion, its the guys are lobbin bullets at animals from + 600yards is a waste of time and or game.

for elk i like to get as close as possible(inside 50 yards is where i am most comfortable for elk) as arrow placement on an elk is much much much more critical. maybe its just me, but for deer at that distance is ok because i have never lost a deer (yet). in my opinion, its the guys are lobbin bullets at animals from + 600yards is a waste of time and or game.

Same here, I love hunting with a rifle, but I try to inoculate myself from the rifle hunting "crowds" by sitting in my Jon boat; trying to fool ducks into landing onto my deeks. As long as hunters are legal & safe, I avoid the areas so they can hunt the way they want.

I have ZERO tolerance for poachers (especially-so on my land); I will record, photograph, and report them without regard to their situation.

I generally yield to youth hunters (doing the right things) on public lands.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top