JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I drove from Salem to Northwest Armory in Portland when I bought my shield45... they wanted almost 750.00 here and at NW Armory I got it for $359 and then a $75.00 rebate. I would do it again!!!

I love the favor network, a favorite method of doing business OLD SCHOOL! I never need to ask, but some how it always works out!
I bet ya dollars to doughnuts Jon works the same way!:D:cool::)
How many doughnuts are we talking here...? lol I love horse trading as long as everyone involved thinks it is a "win win" situation.

Selection and pricing has a huge impact on whether I will go the extra mile or not. I also want to know what to expect when I get there.

When Tom Foster had his gun shop/Gunsmith here about a mile towards Salem from Silverton. He told me it was weird people would travel the 12-15 from Salem to his shop out in the country but when he talked about moving into Silverton itself just a mile/mile and a half farther they balked at the idea. He said it was something about traveling to another town.

A basic need (for me anyway) is to have excellent, high-level gunsmithing done WITHOUT collateral damage.
As in bonus scrapes, scratches and handling marks.

For that I would be prepared to drive very long distances.

I've used a few gunsmiths. One was very convenient and had a great reputation but still couldn't get the Leupold sight base square on my Ruger SRM. :mad:
Another is about a 20 minute drive down the freeway. Nice place, too. However communication was very poor, the wait time extremely long. I had called before the job was started to make a change in the shape of the sight to be built, a change that never occurred. I was so glad to get my Blackhawk back that I didn't even argue.
The third is just less than an hour from home, out in the pucker brush. We did have some communication issues to start with, but got that crap all ironed out and moved forward. He did a nice job for me on the first gun. I will use him again.
What if he moved to Bend? Since I don't seek the services of a gunsmith on a regular basis and when/if I do, it's a special project worth the investment.
Even if NWCustomFirearms moved to Dollars Corner I don't think it would be a huge deal to the Portland crowd. Getting to Jon's shop during busy hours now is a pain in the butt, moving away from the masses would be a good thing.

My nearest walk-in gunsmith, who also builds custom target rifles, is a 140 mile round trip. My nearest source of GP11 for my Swiss rifles, is a 180 mile round trip.

My cheapest source of Vihtavuori powder, in bulk, ie, 5kg that I then share out, is almost 260 mile round trip.

And I live in a country that fits neatly inside Washington and Oregon with a good LOT over to spare.

You guys have no idea how lucky you are.

tac

Anytime I get in a vehicle at home it's an hour to anywhere so for me it's a non issue. My favorite gunshop is in McMinville, that's almost 2 hours one way. I like to drive, especially if it's worth it, a couple hours one way is nothing. I'm actually closer to Longview than the Hillsboro area where I work.

So yeah, I'd make the drive but again as someone who commutes 100 miles a day I would care more about a smiths reputation and proven customer satisfaction over location. I have no problem boxing up a gun and sending it 1/2 way across the country to get quality work done by a reputable smith. Also I tend to buy more 'new' guns on-line and use the big box stores as the place to check them out, it's very rare when a local shop can meet the interwebs pricing. Not that I won't buy from the stores, I suppose it really depends on how badly I think I want something. I won't buy powder/primers on-line, w/hazmat fees I can almost always do better locally and usually just suck it up and buy in bulk when it's on the shelves.

Last Edited:
It just depends on how far and what is at the destination.

If they have something I really want and is not regularly available then driving an hour is not a big deal, but I won't drive far just to drop into a gun shop. The last time I bought something from a gun shop was when I was driving past one - i.e., I happened to be near for other reasons.

That said, I am thinking about picking one for ordering guns online, and the one I am thinking of is a bit out of my way.

As others have said - it just depends.

I live in East Vancouver, and Battleground is not far.
I would drive there no problem.

There's not many options in Vancouver. But the options that are here are pretty good.

I try to do my own work and builds, more so out of financial issues, but there's alway a need.

And if you can get me a new Ruger PC 9mm, I'd be a customer??!!

We drive to Chehalis to see our grandson or go to a gun show. Hubby has driven from Kitsap County to Spokane to buy his KelteC RFB. I am self taught with some smith work because we couldn't find anyone in our county that would do the work. I had a pistol sit in their safe for 3 weeks to be returned with my new sights still in the packaging because the guy didn't think they were the right ones. How do you know that if you never opened them? They were the right ones and are on the pistol they were puchased for.

Yeah, I think we would make the drive.

Last Edited:
I gotta admit Jon you will be closer to my house if you move but I wouldn't beable to just pop in on lunch breaks and smell gun oil and shoot the bull. I will miss that if you move. On the bright side you will be closer to my house and I can come have coffee with you on Saturday mornings! :p:D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews