Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

question appraising gun at cabelas

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by letrain, Dec 1, 2013.

1. letrain

letrain toledo,wash Active Member

i know they run the serial numbers, log it, etc when you sell them a gun, do they log the serial number etc when your only having them appraised?

2. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

They shouldn't, they don't own it.

3. letrain

Well there website says they run the serial number to make sure there isn't anything nefarious tied to it, when they buy them. Wasn't sure if they do to verify the gun is legit, and not a counter fit when they give you an appraisal value.

4. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Why have a gun appraised at a chain retail store ??????
    A long time gunsmith or collectors assoc would make more sense.

5. letrain

Is there a list of these places some where? Cabelas does this often. That's why I asked. I'm only wanting an appraisal. Then sell it here. The gun ranges from $600-3800, I've only seen a few old posts on gunbroker and they went for $2500 & 3800.

6. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Call Cabela's and ask them if they'll record your serial number as part of appraising your gun. If they say "no," then it's up to you to believe them - or not.

Like any business that buys/sells guns, guitars, cars, boats or whatever... Cabela's will lowball you if they think they can profit from a potential transaction. Again, it's up to you to believe the quote is relevant and fair - or not.

7. U201491

Your own independent research will give better results than a retail outlet.
    What is the firearm?
    A comprehensive net search will tell you a lot.

8. letrain

I did that. I had it up for sale based on what I've seen them sell for. But someone suggested going to cabelas. Get appraisal, add 25% and sell here. Any gun is worth what someone is willing to pay. It's a ww 2 1911 made in Norway. The Nazi's took over the factory, produced one year , 1945, (those see with the most) then made rifles in 46, then in 47 when Nazi's left they made parts for allied forces and only made about 500 or so matching numbers 1911's. And then didn't make anymore. Ever.

9. letrain

Did a quick search I was off on my dates according to wiki, Germans halted production for 2 years. I was going off of memory from some other collector site. It's a kongsberg m1914.

10. U201491

11. letrain

And prices are all over the place. Lol.

12. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

A wide variation in prices usually means two things.

1. The item is rare
    2. Hard to sell due to limited demand.

Because of the rarity some will ask top dollar while others wish to sell and so offer it at an attractive price.

13. letrain

It is a rare item. The Nazi stamped are even more rare. And I would say it is hard to sell. That's why I considered cabelas. A local shop might like it but not want to sit on it till it sells. Cabelas has a bigger clientele. I have seen a couple at auction. But all of the auctions seem to have a "we get what we get" Claus. No reserve.

14. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Gun Broker allows a reserve

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  15. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

List it on Gunbroker with a reserve you would be happy with.

16. edogg

edogg Western Washington Active Member

You might want to ask the folks on 1911forum.com for what would make a difference in value. They have a pretty big collector base there I think.

17. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Anywhere you decide to sell it, getting max value will take the most time while asking less will move it quicker. How soon do you want the money? If you can wait a few years, price it high.