JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I have a friend who is a gun enthusiast and has many guns but no concealed carry license. He's more of a collector who likes to have fun at the range. He is going on a trip to Eastern Washington from Portland and wants to know if he can bring a few rifles and a handgun or two with him to shoot at the range with his family in Washington. From my knowledge, I assume it would be legal as long as none of the guns are loaded and are in his trunk (out of reach). Any input and/or help is gladly appreciated, thanks!

unloaded is all that is required for the long guns. If he has no CPL, hand guns must also be unloaded. They aren't required to be "out of reach" in WA, and the ammo can be right there beside it...just not IN the firearm.

unloaded is all that is required for the long guns. If he has no CPL, hand guns must also be unloaded. They aren't required to be "out of reach" in WA, and the ammo can be right there beside it...just not IN the firearm.

^^This...so long as it's unloaded, he could even have a handgun openly carried on his hip while in the vehicle...

In OR he can also have OPEN carry loaded pistols assuming he is not in one of the areas that restricts it. Me and the GF had our OC pistols last year when we went to the Bend area and did not have a single problem. Even got pulled over for no front license plate and cop was great.

Hi all, I have a friend who is a gun enthusiast and has many guns but no concealed carry license. He's more of a collector who likes to have fun at the range. He is going on a trip to Eastern Washington from Portland and wants to know if he can bring a few rifles and a handgun or two with him to shoot at the range with his family in Washington. From my knowledge, I assume it would be legal as long as none of the guns are loaded and are in his trunk (out of reach). Any input and/or help is gladly appreciated, thanks!

No CPL, your handgun must be unloaded while in the vehicle. Any time he is not in the vehicle he can carry loaded. There is an exception to the need for a CPL with a loaded handgun in the vehicle (handgun for self protection only). that is; if you are participating in, going to, or coming from some recreational activity (hiking, camping, fishing, hunting camping..etc) If you are within that "recreational activity" exemption, you may carry loaded in a vehicle without a permit. Read RCW 9.41 for the whole story.

Long guns must ALWAYS be unloaded in (or on) a vehicle! No full auto in WA. Don't bring them! Silencers are OK now. This is in RCW 77.15 (F&W law)

Long guns must ALWAYS be unloaded in (or on) a vehicle! No full auto in WA. Don't bring them! Silencers are OK now. This is in RCW 77.15 (F&W law)

No FA, SBS or SBR. Silencers have never been illegal here. DD and AOW are also legal.

If the person owned FA, SBS, SBR, or DD they would know they have to fill out forms and have them approved PRIOR to taking them out of state anyhow.

No FA, SBS or SBR. Silencers have never been illegal here. DD and AOW are also legal.

If the person owned FA, SBS, SBR, or DD they would know they have to fill out forms and have them approved PRIOR to taking them out of state anyhow.
Well, I guess you missed the memo then. True, having a silencer (with the correct paperwork) has not been illegal. But USING them was up until the last legislative session.

Well, I guess you missed the memo then. True, having a silencer (with the correct paperwork) has not been illegal. But USING them was up until the last legislative session.

I guess I did miss the memo. ATF has been signing my paperwork for LEGAL silencer ownership for many years now.

The prior poster said silencers were "now OK" which implies they were not before.

Granted it is now 100% clear that it is legal to shoot silencers in WA you still have to do the same paperwork (it is Federal). Prior to that there was a very narrow law that was very hard to charge someone with using silencer due to the poor wording that was used prior. Just how many people using legal silencers were ever charged with use prior to this change in law?

I guess I did miss the memo. ATF has been signing my paperwork for LEGAL silencer ownership for many years now.

The prior poster said silencers were "now OK" which implies they were not before.

Granted it is now 100% clear that it is legal to shoot silencers in WA you still have to do the same paperwork (it is Federal). Prior to that there was a very narrow law that was very hard to charge someone with using silencer due to the poor wording that was used prior. Just how many people using legal silencers were ever charged with use prior to this change in law?

If you want to look at it that way, FA is still ok too...as long as you owned the FA before 1986 and do not fire them. Yes, silencers were OK to own, what you could not use them. As far as I am concerned, a silencer that you cannot use, is a piece of pipe with a $200 federal tax stamp.

If you were to tell someone for out of state, prior to this latest change in the law, that you could own a silencer in WA you would not be telling the whole truth,

If you want to look at it that way, FA is still ok too...as long as you owned the FA before 1986 and do not fire them.

What do you mean? Last time I checked there were NO rules against shooting FA in WA. Can you please show me that RCW? There are rules against possession though. Second I am not what the Federal 1986 law has to do with WA law since FA (along with SBS/SBR) was legal till July 1, 1994, RCW 9.41.190: Unlawful firearms I use to assume that was only for WA residents but the way the law reads it does not specify in WA only. So if the item was owned anywhere prior to July 1, 1994 anyone could have and use them here. Of course when moving those items interstate you have to fill out a Form 5320.20 and have it approved prior to going out of state.

Yes, silencers were OK to own, what you could not use them. As far as I am concerned, a silencer that you cannot use, is a piece of pipe with a $200 federal tax stamp.

Again that was your choice. The poor wording prior to the new version was unenforceable. Even IF a LEO wanted to charge you they had to actually see you do it and it was a gross misdemeanor. I shot 10's of thousands of rounds though mine even with LEO's who were more then happy and wanted to play too. Why, cause it was not really illegal. Can you name one case of a charge on a person with a LEGALLY possessed silencer?

If you were to tell someone for out of state, prior to this latest change in the law, that you could own a silencer in WA you would not be telling the whole truth,

That is why I never told anyone that. I always told the whole truth and included links to back it up. Do a search on my user name and see if that is not the case..........

Sorry I got the 1986 (feds) and 1994 (Lowry) mixed up...how come it doesn't surprise me that it was Lowry that did this????

Personally, I don't care if you have a fully equipt Abrams in your back yard. As long as the shells don't damage my property, or that of someone else, I think you should be able to have whatever you want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top