JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, I tried searching for a bit, and didn't find anything...but if this has already been discussed I apologize in advance.

Since 1639 was introduced, I have been under the impression that the only difference between a SAR purchase and a Pistol purchase is the $18 fee. However, I've recently been challenged on this, with someone telling me there is a mandatory 10 day hold...regardless of whether the application has been approved by the local PD. I've read the law, and I don't come to the same conclusion. The below is my analysis...which of course means precisely crap, but wanted to share it anyway--and ask for comments.

RCW 9.41.090(2) provides that no dealer may deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to the purchaser thereof until:
  • the purchaser provides proof that he or she has completed a recognized firearm safety training program within the last five years that, is appropriately sponsored and covers the minimum training requirements. AND
  • The dealer is notified in writing by (i) the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides that the purchaser is eligible to possess a firearm under RCW 9.41.040 and that the application to purchase is approved by the chief of police or sheriff; or (ii) the state that the purchaser is eligible to possess a firearm under RCW 9.41.040, as provided in subsection (3)(b) of this section; OR
  • The requirements or time periods in RCW 9.41.092 have been satisfied.
RCW 9.41.092(2) provides that Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a licensed dealer may not deliver a semiautomatic assault rifle to a purchaser or transferee until ten business days have elapsed from the date of the purchase application or, in the case of a transfer, ten business days have elapsed from the date a background check is initiated.

While .092 is more restrictive than .090, it should be considered that the purpose of .090 is to cover the delivery while .092 is to provide a time limit on the hold. It is interesting that in the drafting of the language of .092, they included an earlier of statement for pistols, but not for semi-automatic assault rifles. However, I would propose that given the earlier of inclusion in .090, the inclusion of such in .092 related to pistols is redundant. In any case, I believe that if RCW 9.41.090(2)(b) applies RCW 9.41.092(2) would be irrelevant.

Would love to hear your thoughts, or if you have found anything authoritative out there, besides a dealer saying so...or a random website saying so.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last Edited:
I did a private transfer at a place near Puyallup and they wouldn't release it for 17 days based on my pickup date. I was under the impression you ride out the 10 days for SARs and that's it.
Plus what I thought was weird was they wouldn't hold onto the firearm while the background cleared for private party transfers....but...
They would hold onto (your) gun for a fee, so they are turning it into a gravy train to hold onto guns for backgrounds via private transfers.

These initiatives and laws are all designed for one purpose, to make it confusing and hard for legal buyers to acquire guns. Gun control has never been shown effective against criminal misuse and especially not when violent criminals are not prosecuted.

In this example, the simplest answer is to buy a lower, with same day FFL pickup, no extra fees and buy an upper, which can be shipped to your home or apartment.

These initiatives and laws are all designed for one purpose, to make it confusing and hard for legal buyers to acquire guns. Gun control has never been shown effective against criminal misuse and especially not when violent criminals are not prosecuted.

In this example, the simplest answer is to buy a lower, with same day FFL pickup, no extra fees and buy an upper, which can be shipped to your home or apartment.
There is no such thing as gun control, only people control

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR