JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Other than being a shoulder fired, detachable box magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle made by Ruger the Mini-14 and 10/22 are not similar weapons.

You are correct, I would stick with with .223 in a Mini-14 (unless something has changed over the years)
I guess what I was trying to say is they are good tough gun .not much you can do to break them .they both been around for a long time

But why wouldn't Ruger bore their rifle to .311 like the rest of the world?
The same reason American ammo companies made them with .308 bullets. Lack of knowledge, Americans being subborn wanting to do their own thing, not many bullets available with the proper diameter, etc.

Ruger does use the proper bore diameter now, but back when American ammo makers used the wrong bullets Ruger used a .308 bore. Maybe to compensate for the ammo makers' mistake.

The same reason American ammo companies made them with .308 bullets. Lack of knowledge, Americans being subborn wanting to do their own thing, not many bullets available with the proper diameter, etc.

Ruger does use the proper bore diameter now, but back when American ammo makers used the wrong bullets Ruger used a .308 bore. Maybe to compensate for the ammo makers' mistake.

I do recall that debacle now that you mention it. It just solidifies a couple things for me.

1. Screw Ruger, I hate them.
2. Commie ammo for commie guns and Yankee ammo for Yankee guns.

I do recall that debacle now that you mention it. It just solidifies a couple things for me.

1. Screw Ruger, I hate them.
2. Commie ammo for commie guns and Yankee ammo for Yankee guns.
Tbh, the whole mini-14/30 stuff never worked for me. The only Ruger I like is the Hawkeye.

But yes, commie ammo for commie guns and all that. I think Stoner rests in the grave easier when we don't try to shove commie ammo through his designs. :D

As I recall, Ruger was quite adamant that the Mini-14, though marked .223, would handle 5.56 ammo just fine.

I also recall Ruger saying that the Mini-30 with the .308" bore would handle mil-spec .310" ammo as well, that they designed the chamber and throat with that in mind.

Added: I just looked it up. Ruger says 5.56 is good to go in older Mini14s, unless it's the special "Target" model. Imagine that- a Mini14 target rifle! :)

As I recall, Ruger was quite adamant that the Mini-14, though marked .223, would handle 5.56 ammo just fine.

I also recall Ruger saying that the Mini-30 with the .308" bore would handle mil-spec .310" ammo as well, that they designed the chamber and throat with that in mind.

Added: I just looked it up. Ruger says 5.56 is good to go in older Mini14s, unless it's the special "Target" model. Imagine that- a Mini14 target rifle! :)
They later switched to .310/.311 and for good reason.

They changed the bore later because the .308 bore turned out to be a crapshow. Wear too fast and wasn't as reliable as they are now (still gonna stick to the SKS or AK). Ruger was adamant about it shooting both, they weren't adamant that it was a good thing. It was also not great for accuracy (huh, similar to the old mini-14s :eek:).

Last Edited:
Lol hilarious well at least nobody died in your family .I geuss that's good
Oh come on now... inheriting something doesn't mean someone died! I think...

On a serious note, if the OP did in fact have a death in the family, I'm sorry for him, been there myself. That sad, if the departed loved one cared enough to leave his or her treasured firearms to his or her loved ones, that's something to be respected and cherished.

I have one inherited firearm: my grandfather's Govt Model 1911. He always knew I liked it, but nothing was ever said as far as inheritance. He got fairly senile in his last years and stuff disappeared from his house, whether because he left his doors unlocked or my worthless cousin mooched off of, disrespected, and took advantage of him. The Colt disappeared and he told everyone "Someone stole my forty-five".

The day after the funeral my cousin shows up, hands me the (loaded) pistol, and begrudgingly says "I understand this is supposed to go to you". We weren't on speaking terms before or since, so I may never know why.

I know that little story is a bit off-topic, but yes it is nice to have been thought of enough to inherit something that means something to you.

On a serious note, if the OP did in fact have a death in the family, I'm sorry for him, been there myself. That sad, if the departed loved one cared enough to leave his or her treasured firearms to his or her loved ones, that's something to be respected and cherished.
Luckily there was no death these are just a portion of my grandfathers firearms that he wanted me to have now. But they are all in amazing condition. The revolver is a colt police positive .38 with a serial # that puts it right around 1919. The top rifle is indeed a Ruger mini 14 I believe it was made around the 80s and the bottom is a Norinco Sks that I have no clue about

If the Colt is indeed a Police Positive...the .38 may be :
.38 Colt
.38 S&W
or
.38 Special
Best to have a gunsmith check out the chambering for you....if unsure
If its in .38 Special , I would not shoot .38 Special +P out of it .
Andy

If the Colt is indeed a Police Positive...the .38 may be :
.38 Colt
.38 S&W
or
.38 Special
Best to have a gunsmith check out the chambering for you....if unsure
If its in .38 Special , I would not shoot .38 Special +P out of it .
Andy
Hey That's good to know! Would it have it marked on which it would be or should I just take it in and have someone gauge it for me?

Hey That's good to know! Would it have it marked on which it would be or should I just take it in and have someone gauge it for me?

Sometimes they are marked...often however its just marked .38 or .38 Caliber...If that's the case I'd get someone to gauge it.
If its just marked .38 or .38 Caliber...its probably not .38 Special.
Andy

Perfect colloquialism... these sort of things crack me up. Sorry but the traditional definition IS that someone died and left it to another. Nowadays, we make up our own definitions and if used enough they wind up in the book. :p;):D

in·her·it
inˈherət/
receive (money, property, or a title) as an heir at the death of the previous holder.

Luckily there was no death these are just a portion of my grandfathers firearms that he wanted me to have now. But they are all in amazing condition. The revolver is a colt police positive .38 with a serial # that puts it right around 1919. The top rifle is indeed a Ruger mini 14 I believe it was made around the 80s and the bottom is a Norinco Sks that I have no clue about
Would need to see markings to know more...
Its odd to see it without the bayonet though, if it eas imported in the 80s it should have one. They stopped importing Norincos with the bayonet in the 90s.

Would need to see markings to know more...
Its odd to see it without the bayonet though, if it eas imported in the 80s it should have one. They stopped importing Norincos with the bayonet in the 90s.
The imports were stopped by our friend Slick Will and we haven't had a single "Drive By Bayoneting" since. Aren't you proud of what he did???

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top