JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys so I recently inherited a few old firearms and I'm wondering besides a good cleaning is there anything else I should do before taking them out? Should I have a gunsmith inspect them?

702825E8-B8F5-4606-8C5F-FDE2D63836A0.jpeg DB64D263-FCAD-42B6-93F0-754A43215EDC.jpeg

I would say for the revolver just make sure nothing is lose . like the cilnder .not lining up with the barrel.the other two are mini 14 and a sks I doubt that there would be a PROBLEM they look to be in good shape and we'll taken care of

But some 7.62x39 gauges wouldn't hurt. Should be unnecessary though.

The big thing with the SKS is making sure the firing pin is clean, dry, and the firing pin channel doesn't have anything in it. Shake the bolt a bit, if the firing pin gets stuck then you need to look into that.

Check the trigger/hammer/sear for positive engagement also. Remove the cover, spring, etc and then pull the trigger. If the hammer moves rearward slightly, you're golden. May need to do it a few times. If it doesn't move, its neutral, and if it goes forward its negative. Need to be fixed if either is the case.

Old? Where? Who you calling old?:rolleyes:
What EPS said. If they havent been "fixed on", there's a clean hole all the way thru the barrel, and you make sure to get the correct ammunition, I strongly suspect you're good to go. If you're new to firearms and unsure, maybe have a more experienced friend or relative take a look. I doubt you need to go the full gunsmith route but that's just me ;)

Just a fyi, you'll need a hammer and pin to get the firing pin out... There's instructions on how to maintain and disassemble the SKS on the net. Take some time, then enjoy it for the cheap carbine it is. You might end up with more ammo for the SKS than the Mini-14. :cool:

PS the mini 14 is probably ready to go nothing you can do to hurt that gun .they are just the same as 10/22 but in 223 but not all mini14 can fire 5.56 check the barrel or just use 223 in it . I'm not positive on this but some are only 223

I was at the gun store a while ago and heard a conversation about the mini 14 one guy said the new ones would shoot 5.56 the other guy said you should only use 223 .so they got on the phone to and I walked away .IF I'M WRONG SOMEONE WILL CORRECT ME. But I think they are only supposed to be useing 223

Another thing it won't take AR MAGS I can see from the picture it has the mag release on the back . I'm not a professional gun guy but I know that the mini 14 is different from the AR WHEN IT COMES TO AMMO AND MAGS

I was at the gun store a while ago and heard a conversation about the mini 14 one guy said the new ones would shoot 5.56 the other guy said you should only use 223 .so they got on the phone to and I walked away .IF I'M WRONG SOMEONE WILL CORRECT ME. But I think they are only supposed to be useing 223
New=5.56. Older ones were .223.
How do you guys know it is a Mini-14 and not a Mini-30? May only need one kind of rifle ammo.
Half true. If its a newer Mini-30 with the proper bore, then yes just one type of ammo. If its the older with the improper bore (.308 diameter) then he'd need 7.62x39 that was made with .308 bullets (if any are even made now).

PS the mini 14 is probably ready to go nothing you can do to hurt that gun .they are just the same as 10/22 but in 223 but not all mini14 can fire 5.56 check the barrel or just use 223 in it . I'm not positive on this but some are only 223

Other than being a shoulder fired, detachable box magazine fed, semi-automatic rifle made by Ruger the Mini-14 and 10/22 are not similar weapons.

You are correct, I would stick with with .223 in a Mini-14 (unless something has changed over the years)

Well like I said I don't know for sure .I have only shot a mini 14 one time and that was years and years ago I think I was like 16 years old lol
I'm 49 now so IT IS WHAT IT IS

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads