JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Then if that same gun is within reach of another person in the car. Say in the glove box right in front of them? Are they in trouble if they don't have a permit? :s0153:
The driver is the one who is in care and control of everything in the vehicle, so if it's the driver's weapon and the driver has a current CPL then all's well.

Might be a headache if they are prohibited from having a firearm (felon, protective order, etc). Then you may have to prove that the gun is yours and not theirs.
If the other person was a prohibited person, it could be argued that you would be allowing them access to a weapon. You having a CPL/CHL wouldn't make any difference in that case. Just keep in mind that any lawyer or cop is free to make any argument that they want. It doesn't need to be valid.

I would think that there would be something else going on if a cop had a reason to search your vehicle and found the gun.

PP40 makes an interesting point here.

The crime itself necessitates foreknowledge the driver presumably would have had, that the passenger was prohibited.

Though nobody wants to be a test case, I think a persuasive counter-argument would be, "how are we gonna run everybody in the car through NCIC, when we don't have access to NCIC?"

The officers on the scene will quickly think of this as they imagine talking to the prosecutors office to make their case that the driver should have known the history of the passenger.

I don't know anybody who doesn't have a CPL and who carries, so this "prohibited person" scenario is out of my experience. Anybody here hanging with ex-felons? How do you know?

It comes down to the realistic expectations of a "reasonable man." Does a reasonable man have telepathic abilities to know the records of every person he knows? No.

This should get the Open Carry folks all fired up...

Why in the world would you want to "open carry" a firearm? Why advertise you are carrying? I vaguely remember a guy had his open-carry firearm stolen from him by a guy at a train station in Gresham. Thief just walked up to him, poked a gun into his stomach and took his holstered handgun. You are just asking for a lot of unnecessary attention by walking around with a pistol on your belt.

You have your concealed carry permit, conceal it. (Surprise is your friend)

If you are looking for attention,
Put feathers in your hair, put pink glitter eyeshadow and lipstick on and wear a bikini top on the MAX.

I open carry so I can have ready access to a firearm if I need it. No digging around in my shorts or having to wear too much clothing to cover up something I am under no real obligation to cover up. I am a grown man who dresses like a 12 year old kid. Shorts and a tank top when the weather allows it. The same reason cops open carry. No one looks at me funny or grabs my gun. Its legal. There is no problem. I have a concealed carry permit so I can buy a gun without waiting and so I can stick the gun in my glovebox when I'm driving down the road or at work. Its also a deterrent. You can have the drop on a robber at a 7/11 if you want. I'd rather he comes in the store , look around and decide he might want to try it somewhere else. You think he's going to walk up and steal my gun? Thats what situational awareness is for.

I actually had to unholster my carry 1911 yesterday on a walk with my wife and my dog. A couple of large dogs came out of their house started running towards my small dog . I unholstered, racked one in and shouted them off before I had to shoot them. Not real sexy eh? Thats what carrying a gun for me is about. I'm 6'4 and 235 lbs and am quite intimidating. No one ever messes with me . I don't think I will ever have to shoot someone and i really dont think anyone is going to try to take my gun away from me.

Any other questions? You see those idiots open carrying rifles at black lives matter rallies and think thats what open carry is. Open carry is carrying a pistol on your belt which is by far the best place to carry it. Get over yourself.

I open carry so I can have ready access to a firearm if I need it. No digging around in my shorts or having to wear too much clothing to cover up something I am under no real obligation to cover up. I am a grown man who dresses like a 12 year old kid. Shorts and a tank top when the weather allows it. The same reason cops open carry. No one looks at me funny or grabs my gun. Its legal. There is no problem. I have a concealed carry permit so I can buy a gun without waiting and so I can stick the gun in my glovebox when I'm driving down the road or at work. Its also a deterrent. You can have the drop on a robber at a 7/11 if you want. I'd rather he comes in the store , look around and decide he might want to try it somewhere else. You think he's going to walk up and steal my gun? Thats what situational awareness is for.

I actually had to unholster my carry 1911 yesterday on a walk with my wife and my dog. A couple of large dogs came out of their house started running towards my small dog . I unholstered, racked one in and shouted them off before I had to shoot them. Not real sexy eh? Thats what carrying a gun for me is about. I'm 6'4 and 235 lbs and am quite intimidating. No one ever messes with me . I don't think I will ever have to shoot someone and i really dont think anyone is going to try to take my gun away from me.

Any other questions? You see those idiots open carrying rifles at black lives matter rallies and think thats what open carry is. Open carry is carrying a pistol on your belt which is by far the best place to carry it. Get over yourself.
If you want to carry around Yakima, be my guest. The OP was asking about open carry in The People's Republic of Portland. Big difference.

If you want to carry around Yakima, be my guest. The OP was asking about open carry in The People's Republic of Portland. Big difference.
Yakima has about 10X the violent crime Portland does per capita. I dont have a valid Oregon permit any more so if I travel to PDX I'm open carrying. Not an issue there either.

Yakima has about 10X the violent crime Portland does per capita. I dont have a valid Oregon permit any more so if I travel to PDX I'm open carrying. Not an issue there either.
let us know how that goes for you, I sincerely mean that not in jest Ive just never heard of anyone open carrying in Portland.

My wife and I are snowbirds and travel all over the west coast as well as New Mexico and Texas. We both have Concealed Weapons Permits issued by Washington state. We open carry in several states. I'm also a former sheriff's deputy. If you have a CCL and choose to carry, then for heaven's sake be smart about it. KEEP IT CONCEALED!! Not everyone is enamored with guns and you could really create a problem by being stupid. Handguns are purely defensive weapons and need to be invisible until needed. At that point you would draw the weapon and defend yourself as you withdrew to safety. If you can't effectively hide your .45, then find a gun that you can.

I live across the river from that pestilential crap hole. I try to avoid going across the bridge except for absolute have to situations. I once rode their MAX train and was given the ol' "stink eye" by some gang bangers. I just smiled at them. Remember, Black Lives Matter!

You can legally open carry in Portland. Let's just say you'll attract quite a bit of attention. Don't plan on getting all your in-town errands done quickly. lol

There are videos on YouTube of people who've done it. The cops come by after 1000 911 calls and ask you what's up, got ID?

PS-- FYI @oldcorpgunny I don't live in a "pestilential crap hole," I live in a nice neighborhood with some decent stand-up neighbors. Yeah, they exist. Surprise!

Last Edited:
You can legally open carry in Portland. Let's just say you'll attract quite a bit of attention. Don't plan on getting all your in-town errands done quickly. lol

There are videos on YouTube of people who've done it. The cops come by after 1000 911 calls and ask you what's up, got ID?

PS-- FYI @oldcorpgunny I don't live in a "pestilential crap hole," I live in a nice neighborhood with some decent stand-up neighbors. Yeah, they exist. Surprise!

Portland is going to He11!

That's the view of my Liberal neighbors since my gun carrying azz moved in. :D

Last Edited:
1. You guys spend way too much time worrying about what people think of you and what you are doing.
2. Never once in 25 years been stopped , apprehended , accosted, questioned etc by any police officer in Portland.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top